Last week I resigned from a startup (I'm a developer). I had to sign a paper which said that I can't use code...

Last week I resigned from a startup (I'm a developer). I had to sign a paper which said that I can't use code, documentation, sell business secrets etc. or else I had to pay $300.000 in damages.

Important: This form was generic with the above as an example and "not excluding" wording.

Like an idiot I signed it but now I'm worried, am I fucked? If I work for a competitor or some shit.

You were drinking when you signed it right?

>He actually signed that

Are you insane OP? Kiss your life goodbye.

Cali? Then you are good.

It's probably pretty ironclad. The work you did while you were there belongs to them. If you bring it to another company, you deserve to get fined.
If it's saying that you can't do another job in that field at all, you should talk to a lawyer. That sounds like bullshit to me

No, I was being stupid.

No, Europe.

>If it's saying that you can't do another job in that field at all, you should talk to a lawyer.

It doesn't say that, it just that I can't "I can't make unfair use of company information and technical-industrial experiences". But like any legal document it's generic and you know, you can get sued for anything.

Probably illegal from them to enforce it, unless you live in an authoritarian shithole. Nevertheless, signing it... cmon.

Get in touch with a lawyer.

Maybe I should rephrase that question.
You were consuming alcohol before you signed it, riiiight?

They probably won't sue unless you outright rip off their idea. If you're really concerned about it, talk to an attorney. Definitely worth $200 for peace of mind

This will not hold in court 100% if its a competition clause, it's far too broad and generic.
It probably means only the code you wrote for the company, it belongs to them, but you don't care about that shit anymore.

>They probably won't sue unless you outright rip off their idea

They won't sue until OP is worth suing, whether it's outright ripping off their idea or striking gold on another. I don't know what there is to do about it now, maybe just literally ignore it completely.

> I had to sign...
You were given an option, or you had to sign?

If you had to sign, was this also a keep-secrets clause in your original contract, and just a stern reminder?

Most European countries force employer to ensure the employee knows what is in the contract you signed. By law they can't let you skim pages for a signature on something so serious.

Else: A keep-secret clause is very common. Just don't use your work-email ever again, don't touch company laptop. Delete anything you have on personal computers.

Be careful with code. It's tricky, because you can always rewrite. In the future: try to open source as much of your code as possible. Always open source your side projects.

if you didn't have the balls to ask the person who handed you the paper 'what happens if i don't sign this?' then you don't deserve an answer.

By the way OP is this startup even worth 300k or is it merely faggots with a billion dollar idea?

It was just a page and
90% of what it's written is alright with me. But some words are worrying me that's all.

LOL at the NEETs ITT. Many jobs, including some min wage jobs, require you to sign non-disclosure agreements.

Dunno desu. Maybe.

They'd just tell me I had to in order to properly leave or some shit. I have to start a new job soon and they'd make a fuss about it and since I'm not a rich person nor do I have many friends I wouldn't have had much choice. But who knows...

The reason for this (probably) is that some other guy tried to steal the code and he got caught (2 years ago). Probably why they made me sign.

May I see the full documentation, please. If you don't have it, ask them. By law, they must provide you with a signed copy.

Jesus, is everyone seriously underage here or what?

Its called a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) and extremely common in the real world if you have a job that remotely involves handling of intellectual property.

Like this user said: They are well within their rights of the law to sue if you break the terms of the NDA if you do share any of your code you did for them. Ignorance of the law does not excuse you.

If you signed a non compete clause (NCC) then you are effectively forbidden to start a similar profession or trade in competition against them.

But other than that, there is nothing stopping you working for a competitor and writing your code from scratch.

>Always open source your side projects.
And let some jew like getgemz rip it off like telegram.
Open sourcing is for suckers.

Some of the most successful start ups in the world used code from other companies, like that autonomous car start up.

Even one of the most successful start ups in history, Facebook, was stolen.