What did serfs do in the winter?

What did serfs do in the winter?

Get the family together, and hang around a fire with all 20 people in the shack and a bunch of dogs.

Walk out to it

drink

starve, pray

Make some crafts.

pray away the hunger pains

Medieval serfs had more than enough caloric intake. When analyzing the peasant's diet, it was once believed that they were woefully underfed for their lifestyle. Then someone mentioned, "but what about beer?" The ale they drank was considerably lower alcohol than what we're used to but far richer. Each tankard was the nutritional equivalent of a loaf of bread. When taken into account with the rest of their intake, it made for an adequate diet.

To answer OP's question: Eat salted meat, play instruments, sing songs, chop wood, mend clothes, celebrate religious holidays (there was so much more than just one day of Christmas), and everyone old enough to hold a stein drank copious amounts of beer.

Get their lads together, crack open a few cold ones, and reminisce about the good ol' days.

Died.

probably eat pickled vegetables and shitty moldy flour and hope that winter ends soon

people always forget that peasants hunted and fished too, and that they probably saved some animals for slaughter until winter, then salt the meat

I was taught in history class that they litterally threshed corn from harvest to Christmas

Bet that was a lot of fun

This chap is correct but also at times of shortage it was Spring that was the hungry season, your stores are still pretty full in Winter but dwindling in Spring before your first crops (of any kind) come in.

For sure they weren't medieval serfs as corn wasn't brought to Europe until 1492

Chopped wood. Probably bonded with each other a lot. Fucked each other a lot. Went to Church.

I meant grains

Korn is grains in my language

Majs is corn

It's so confusing, and you also call it maize which is doubly confusing

>>>/18thCentury/

shitpost

It is confusing. I regularly hear the Roman bread dole called the "corn dole" as well.

Corn was a term used for the staple grain crop in a region. What we now call corn/maize was originally Indian Corn before becoming just corn at which point it stopped being a catch all term.

Woodcutting.

They could not hunt and fish b/c the game of the land belong to the Lord, and Lords loved to hunt.

English peasant literally lived on fish you fucking retard.

I thought fishing wasn`t problematic. Did lords not give permission for it?

Finally someone mentions the sex.

Tfw you will never experience the depravity of a peasant orgy.

>I learned everything I know about medieval history from children's fantasy books

>tfw you will never experience the smell of a peasant orgy

Ooorgy.

A few cold whats? Nuts?

>problematic
Oh, kys.

>Not allowed to use certain words cause other retards on the internet use them in a way you don't like
get fucked kid

Eat a more boring diet than the rest of the year (but not starve), produce clothes, tools, etc., fuck.

Oh, and fast the 40 days before Christmas until the Butterpfennig was invented.

Played minecraft

Can you imagine how much pussy you'd get if you were a farmer back then? There was LITERALLY nothing to do back in those days during the winter except do chores and fuck, and when the chores are all done there's only one thing left to do.

They drank and ate a lot, fucked a bunch, probably grew winter wheat

went to church, made tools, hunted game, maintained orchards.

taught their kids a bunch of bollocks, kept themselves warm.

they did most of the same shit they did in autumn spring and summer, but in coats and thicker pants.

They didn't hunt game

Birds and rabbits, not deer.

Definitely not boars

Society just needs more free time to duck. Robot slaves can't come fast enough.

You would literally have nothing to do all day but bend your wife (aged only 20 after 5 good years of marriage) over every sizable object in your dwelling and fuck her silly six ways until Sunday. It's not like she had the ability to deny you.

That kind of depravity spawns chaos gods user

Try not to die
>die anyway

Why do you think there are so many holidays during the winter?

given that they actually lived on bread and soup

>he doesn't know that problematic is a perfectly fine word to describe something that causes problems

This is your brain on /pol/

Women made clothes. There was never enough time to make clothes, making clothes was a time-consuming pursuit that never ended.

Men probably did repair work, make furniture, art and tools. Serfs had no right to fish and hunt, so those pursuits were not possible.

Farmers were 100% self-sufficient. They made everything they needed themselves. This was very time-consuming, so there was never nothing to do.

They probably had a lot of sex to procreate.

hibernate

Lived off their food stores, that they would build up over the rest of the year.

>having oral sex with someone who has so much mod on themselves you think they're from the orient

>not wanting some aliens to finally go on their uniting space crusade