Could i make good money selling novelty stuff?

I had this thought of encasing random things in clear resin and selling them on a shopify store. To advertise it I'll do youtube videos, post in facebook groups, and maybe even advertise on reddit.

Could I convince enough people to buy my stuff? It will be mostly yuppies and hipster types I'm guessing

will it be broken apart so you can see a cross section kind of thing?

for a lot of my pieces yep.

Yea it sounds cool enough.

What kind of prices? $250+?

Buy old 3.5" floppy disks

sell them as 3D printed save icon keepsakes

Ooo or as drink coasters for a retro-party

Yep, I was hoping for around that much for some of them. I figured the more unique the item is the more I can get those prices

A guy in instructables did it with a camera lens, shit was awesome. Look it up, maybe you could get some poinetrs.

Ps, Also if you want your casts to be crystal clear without any bubbles, youre gonna need a vaccumm chamber, they´re not hard to make

That is actually an interesting idea this gives me where I can encase floppies and make them coasters

For sure. Make a website with a dumb artist statement on ephemerality. You know what would get you some buzz? Do a big one of an original Macintosh and post that shit on reddit.

yeah i think it could work

That's actually a great fucking idea user... you can do old smart phones like the LG Envy Nokia, Motorola Razer people would shell out for those as well as tape cassettes, floppy discs etc

Damn, these are solid ideas I'll have to consider. Something like that getting some buzz would be exactly what I need to make this a viable thing.

Nice user, I'll take a look at that. Good tip on the vacuum chamber, a clear piece with bubbles everywhere isn't nearly as good.

Yeah, it's ugly and pointless, that counts as art to Jews.

People would eat it up. I'd get your inventory up quite a bit before doing it because if your post gains some traction you could expect to sell out that day.

You could also hit up /diy if you need any help, they are nice guys.

How do you encase stuff in resin?

You buy expoxy resin and the other shit that makes it harden (catalyst? I cant remember) you mix em both 70-30, pour, put in vaccumm chamber, wait for it to settle and remove.

Good point, unless they're willing to stomach wait times I should have multiple pieces of each item.

This does seem right up their alley, heading over there now.

You could even wire a little power plug so the phone could be plugged in and make the 'charging screen' glow through the lucite / resin block

Put a scorpion in it. Just wait, I think mexico has been doing this for the last 70 years.

Sounds cool but I'm not sure it's not done already.

Maybe you could you add some color gradients to the resin to make it more interesting.

Make sure to encase a lot of fidget spinners, that would be a good meme crossover and 'powerful statement'.