At anytime in history were eunuchs ever used as soldiers?

At anytime in history were eunuchs ever used as soldiers?
I was watching Game of Thrones last night, and I was wondering if castrated men were ever used as soldiers? It would seem a castrated man would be less physically strong than an uncastrated man. I know the Ottomans used eunuchs as guards for the Sultan's harem, but that's the closest comparison I can recall from my history courses.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castration
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narses
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, a eunuch has far less testosterone, muscle mass, endurance, and speed than an intact man. They'd make awful soldiers, not to mention we're very expensive.

There's only one instance in history where the Ming had a battalion of eunuchs, and they were totally fucking useless

Why would they? Eunuchs were fat as fuck.

this was posted on reddit 4 years ago
explain yourself

>we're
...Are you a eunuch, user?

Yes.

Storytime

This.

On the other hand, some greek city state had an army partly build upon homosexuals troops, which apparently was incredibly functional. Then, after a streak of victories, they were annihilated by cavalry.

N-No! Everyone knows Castrato went out of fashion years ago! Besides, who would think we'd want to have our cock and balls cut off?

There were a lot of eunuch generals, many of which rather good.
Rank and file tho? Fuck no. Why bother with more expensive yet worse performing soldiers?
The GOT example is particularly bad because iirc they got children castrated, meaning the end product would be weak and feminine manlets.

Storytime

Castration is supposed to lead to an increase in muscle mass and strength, actually.

>Castration is supposed to lead to an increase in muscle mass and strength

Aren't bulls castrated so they are leaner? Weren't the old harem eunuchs jacked as fuck because none of their test spend to sperm production?

Sorry I'm not an expert ~_~

95% of testosterone is produced in the testicles.
If you don't have testicles, you don't have testosterone!

>supposed

Sounds like someone has been getting military advice from the opposing camp

That was the Sacred Band of Thebes.

Male cattle are castrated to improve fattening and docility in feedlots or for use as oxen (good luck yoking a bull). Also test makes meat taste worse.
And harem eunuchs were castrated so they couldn't have sex with the women they were meant to protect. Their jackedness is a modern movie concept, their depictions don't show them as such. Pic related was an actual eunuch, you can well see from the proportions that he was a skinny motherfucker.

Keep talking

No.
But in China they were used as civil servants or even as generals as they not pose a lesser threat to the ruling family(as no kids).

>A subject of castration who is altered before the onset of puberty will retain a high voice, non-muscular build, and small genitals. He may well be taller than average, as the production of sex hormones in puberty — more specifically, estrogen via aromatization of testosterone — stops long bone growth. The person may not develop pubic hair and will have a small sex drive or none at all.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castration

Speaking as a trans girl, I seriously doubt it. Pre-HRT, I did muay thai and could throw huge-ass tractor tires around; post-HRT I have the muscle tone of a twelve year old girl and can barely lift 50 pounds.

Muh dick

god.. I like Turks but honestly Ottomans were comically cruel

The second image is in Tunisia

Narses.

Why are they all black? I thought Muslims were progressive.

Your quip is not clever, user. The only one that idiotic to misunderstand the idea that not all Islam and of course Muslims are bad with the idea that it is somehow more progressive is you in your perpetual ignorance and in ability to look at or think about anything deeply.

There were white eunuch but they were less powerful within the Palace hierarchy

cool thanks for the heads up *cuts off own balls*

THERE IS NOT *ONE* MENTION OF THE JANNISARIES IN THIS THREAD

Literally the Janissaries, Christian young men had their cocks cut off and then sent to fight for the sultan

Why did they have that silly hat which folds backwards

Janissaries were not castrated you dumb nigger.

>they were annihilated by cavalry.
Most likely not. Odds are pretty good the "companions" with Alexander at the time were either hyspasits or pikemen.

>blah blah blah I'm offended
stay salty

except they didn't have their cocks cut off

They weren't actually cut. They were just forbidden from having legal heirs. Only the harem keepers were castrated.

Why is this thread so hot?

He's talking about the Sacred Band of Thebes you idiot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narses

Eunuch's in the Eastern Roman Empire were given pretty prestigious positions in government, including commanding officers and other high level military positions.

Mostly they were seen as an asset in government because they were unable to produce heirs and thus unable to directly challenge the Emperor as they couldn't produce a ruling dynasty if they tried.

as for normal soldier/grunt work, it's possible but not really recorded, the accounts of the average soldier weren't well documented, if at all, during antiquity/early middle ages, where eunuch's were most prevalent in societies.

well the guy who led numerous Chinese expeditions, Zheng he was a eunuch, There were also many eunuch generals in china

storytime

>be me
>really strong and do martial arts
>get bored
>decide to cut my dick and balls off because autism
>have the muscle tone of a 12 y/o girl now and can't do shit with my body anymore
at least my special snowflake identity is secure now

Not all of them were black, some were also white

Janissaries

Young Christian slaves with there balls chopped off

except they didn't have their cocks cut off

I believe this is a post puberty cut.

>cavalry
Enter the horse fuckers!

You forget to mention they cannot be seduced by woman. That goes for all male homosexual boy fucking armies all through time to some extent right up to the modern day Jesuits of the Catholic Church who I am sure the church would rather just be lopping off their balls than dealing with boy fucking in the news every other day.

>Young
between 12-20
>Christian
there were also muslims and pagans
>slaves
kul who are kinda like slaves but freer
>with there balls chopped off
this is just false

Not offended, just annoyed. Yes Islam has plenty of bad stuff and is non progressives in many ways. No one denies this, but so does Christianity or are you forgetting the slaves that were rampant in the era of the Bible? Btw, Persians did this before Islam came along, read the book of Esther. Not that most Christians actually read their bibles. Looks like they just adopted /continued it.

It was all necessary.