Millenial woes

(Just venting)

I'm 25 and three years out of school (non-ivy, top 30 private uni). I studied business and computer science. I graduated in three years because I wanted to gtfo there and start real life, and start a business, or a startup etc. I live in Boston and have been working as a software engineer since graduation.

I went from 63k, to 87k, to now 100k a year. Learned a shit ton about my trade, but after a super stressful project early this year, and getting sick as a result, and then going through a mental breakdown, I am now burnt out and without any motivation.

I have realized I will never escape the rat race by being a part of it. It's either start your own business, get lucky with crypto or some other investment or slave away at my job for the next 30 years while saving my money (all while living in crappy, 100 year old, 2k a month studios or commuting 1 hour a day from my suburbian mcmansion).

I hate it (inb4 millenials memes). I don't know what to do. I can't stand software anymore. I don't want to touch it for a good while.

I told my landlord I'm not renewing my lease, I have sold all my shit (except big furniture), and packed my few valuables leftover. Although I have nowhere set to go yet, and only 25k in liquid savings.

I don't know what to do next. I have no good ideas. I think about going back to do a master's and switch careers but it's very expensive to go to school (both in tuition and lost wages), and I'm not sure what path to follow.

I want the money, Veeky Forums, and the way I have been living so far is not the answer. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

baltic-course.com/eng/baltic_states/?doc=123845
e-estonia.com/solutions/e-identity/e-residency/
cryptovalley.swiss/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>(non-ivy, top 30 private uni). I studied business and computer science.
>I live in Boston
Did you go to BC bro?

>tfw quitting my job and going back to school for compsci

Well this thread has soured my confidence.

> It's either start your own business, get lucky with crypto or some other investment

> the way I have been living so far is not the answer. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

you already said what to do. start a business and/or invest in ETH or something

yes.

Should have gone to public uni, I don't know if it was worth it desu. For the money my parents spent, they could have bought me a condo instead (or at least a solid downpayment so i wouldnt be getting jewed by landlords right now).

It's hard to assign a value to education, how much of it was it the school and how much was it just me maturing out of being a dipshit?

>63k
>87k
>100k a year
>only managed to save $25k
>I'll have to wagecuck for 30years
the normie's lament

hahhaha BC doesnt even have olympic weight lifting platforms like cmon man

Also: I went to public uni, will gradute in the coming may to start @ B4 @ $55k/yr starting salary. I have like $7500 in student loans. Im also in a super low COL area.

Mind you, 25 years ago before you born, a 25 year old had to work at a gas station, clean cars, or go to school or be lucky to be in a rich family.

The rat race just gets more difficult because by every generation that comes out, they get more information put in their attention span which gives them a higher rate of knowledge per second then you ever had.

So since you're 25, not to discourage you but, you only got a small amount of time before you have to try even harder to catch up to the new things coming out.

a 12 year old can make a company faster than you because that's the situation we have right now.

You want money Veeky Forums or do you want a way to get out of the rat race? You should probably find an answer that

Rent and taxes friendo. Literally 150k down the drain right there.

I can't believe you were making 70-100k for 5 years and don't have anything to show for it, when your parents paid for you college.

You should have a couple hundred thousand saved and only be a few years away from retirement.

You're beyond help.

Hey OP, hope you're still around because I went through the same thing as you(I'm a software engineer that lives near Boston).

You need to find work that is compelling to you. You're never going to love shitting out enterprise CRUD apps for companies, despite being paid a small fortune to do so as a consultant, every year I found it harder and harder to motivate myself to actually do the work. There's a duality of the situation, in that, on one hand, you have it better than the majority of people since you're making 6 figures to sit on your ass in an air conditioned room. On the other hand, the work is soul crushingly boring, and you have to deal with the most incompetent people.

You need to find work that interests you and do it. It doesn't even have to be software. It's either that, or you get used to your shitty soul crushing job.

>studied business
>asks on /b for help with business
>avoid wageslave life
>goes to College for wage growth
>manages to save 25k
>wants to start a company
>company burnrate 10M/1Q
the best thing would actually be to go back to education and learn something about business

Yeah BC is way overpriced, I'm just hoping the connections here aren't just a meme

You are literally at the point where you are supposed to grind it out to get to success / riches / your dreams on the other side.

The problem is you are too soft and feminized to realize that the only thing that separates true success and failure is the willingness to see the process through.

That's why you are dreaming of a "deus ex" happy ending in crypto. You don't realize that the model of success is Sisyphus pushing a boulder everyday only to have it roll back down.

You have no grit, you have no heart, you need to find some conviction soon or you are going to lose control of your life.

What kind of male role models did you have growing up? They failed you...

How can 100k and rising not be enough? I thought that software, a growing industry, was the only way to live a prosperous wagie life.

I have no ideas for you. Honestly I thought the only two places to be were software or finance. Everywhere else you are poor

this

stop being a spoiled prick op

>You don't realize that the model of success is Sisyphus pushing a boulder everyday only to have it roll back down.

nice inspirational post there, bud

lmao I made 23k last year and have more money saved up than you OP
wtf are you doing with all those monies? you just set it on fire?

>100k/y job
>only 25k in liquid
>no house
Maybe the mental breakdown wasn't from the job stress. Maybe it was too much coke.

>I can't stand software anymore. I don't want to touch it for a good while.
Take a year off, then go back.

lol I was assuming he had 100-200k investments and he was just saying 25k 'liquid'

jesus christ you make 100k per year and can't retire for 30 fucking years? Boston expenses must be eating you alive.

In the south you could literally retire here with just 200k if you invest it right.

Keep making 100k and invest it and not work.

Everybody gets burned out and loses motivation in any engineering discipline.

Doesn't mean it's not worth pursuing.

>only 25k saved
Disregard my last post.

Work one more year. This is your penance for not saving enough. Of your $100k, only spend $20k the whole year.
Then quit, take another $20k and figure out what you want in life for a year. Invest the other $60k:
>$10k in savings
>$30k in index fund
>$20k in crypto
Or something like this

After a year you should have decided on something you actually enjoy. Look into trades school, cheaper and quicker than college. Or start a business, I dunno.

>boo hoo i worked for 3 years and make only 100k
Jesus Christ dude, you do understand that puts you firmly in the top 1% of the US, which is itself the richest non-pocket sized country of the world?

Your earning power is not the problem, your spending habits and low T are. Stop eating out. Stop getting stressed over 1s and 0s. Stop being an impatient brat. Invest responsibly. There, in 5 years you can retire (10 years if you want a lavish lifestyle).

>herp how do taxes & expenses work

>graduated last year
>no job
>homeless
>might get job soon (30 hr/week, 30k/year)
>only up from there
>can make 60k at 2 years experience
>already looking at apartments
>one I like has no vacancies
>jumping the gun by a few months anyway
>top dream is being able to lay around naked, cook vegetables, and take shits whenever I want
>simple things in life
>want to save enough to buy a cabin innawoods and eventually move there
>want to go hiking everyday and listen to spoopy animal sounds

why don't kids ever learn? don't pay massive sums for college unless you're going to an ivy or top 10

>100K
>saved 25K

kick your coke and drinking habits

go on, tell me I'm wrong

my ass you fucking wasted it and you know it. keep crying about your six figure salary bitch nigger

Nice blog post faggot what is it about new Jersey and Boston that breeds pure AIDS

>never have made over $80k
>live in a high col city
>$200k saved

Because he is a moron, I work in the same industry but remotely. So I can pay 400$ a month for a 2 bedroom in small town america, while making SF cost of living adjusted wages. I have more money than I know what to do with at this point and can pick my own hours.

OP you are a fucking idiot. Just get a good setup and you will be fine.

I'm in the same boat as you, where are you finding 2 br apartment/houses for 400 a month?

Hardmode: Must not be in a location with lots of niggers around

>(((ivy league)))
>good

Yale literally has their slogan written in Yiddish.

Hope you make it user, work hard

Nigger, $100K is minimum survival wage in Boston.

>tfw my job can potentially go remote
>make city wages and live in bumfuck nowhere and net it all
>can even hunt or grow my own food for further savings

Shoot me some squirrels. Get some fish. Maybe have a flock of chickens for eggs. Pay nothing, save everything.

I hope so! Unlike a moron who wastes 100k annual on god knows what, I'm used to living on sub-poverty levels and have attained comfy even here. If I made 100k, 20k taxes, 20k expenses to live in luxury, I could put 60k a year into the bank/investments. 20% on that a year for an extra 12k.

OP is a whiny faggot. I'd have a quarter mil saved by his point.

Come to Europe. We take it a bit easier here.

Where in Europe can I live where I wont see a single refugee?
Not meming. I like Europe and would live there if not for the current situation.

I've been to Boston many times, it's a dying city and the cost of living is barely higher than any other midwestern shithole. Try New York or San Fran if you want to talk cost of living, you have no argument except being a retard.

Well it's not like America doesn't have Black People creating similar problems.
Anyways, Eastern Europe is pretty opposed to taking in any refugees, and refugees don't like it there either, so if you really want close to zero, you have to look east of Germany. Supposedly the Baltic states are very far advanced in some ways (like completely digital bureaucracy etc.), but of course it's pretty dark and remote there. Also Russians might invade and put you in Gulag :-D
Personally I think Eastern Germany (NOT Berlin obviously) is well enough, as are parts of Austria (NOT Vienna obviously).
If you're really interested, ask on krautchan /int/ I guess (or Veeky Forums /int/ maybe, but I've never been there), or just lurk there; it comes up often.

>I have realized I will never escape the rat race by being a part of it. It's either start your own business, get lucky with crypto or some other investment or slave away at my job for the next 30 years while saving my money (all while living in crappy, 100 year old, 2k a month studios or commuting 1 hour a day from my suburbian mcmansion).

Consider yourself lucky, most people, software devs espetially consider themselves irreplaceable and will not get it till they get the boot. Had a fifty year old guy sit across from me who was banging the table in frustration, he was laid off soon too.

Goto a slav country, Hungary is putting up a good fight against migrant bullshit,but I can see it ending unwell eventually since the EU are cocksuckers and bullies.

You'll be seen as a foreign pedo and likely knocked in the face at least a couple of times. Don't think that being white will protect you from being seen as a parasite running away from your own problems. Yes even in countries like Czech Republic and Slovakia. The only way to make it work is if you marry a slavic girl and commit 100% and let go of your western umale identity.

t. Slav who've seen these cases happen.

>I've been to Boston many times, it's a dying city and the cost of living is barely higher than any other midwestern shithole

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Boston is one of the most expensive cities in the country. And as much as I hate it here, it's definitely not dying. In fact it's the opposite. People are flocking here for biotech jobs and rent is increasing accordingly.

Source on no refugees in Baltic States: baltic-course.com/eng/baltic_states/?doc=123845
Estonia fully digital (bit eerie of course, depends on your stance; but indicative of good IT biz I think) e-estonia.com/solutions/e-identity/e-residency/

Switzerland is another interesting country of course, though somewhat isolated and with LOTS of immigrants -- a lot of which are actually from Germany. European Google HQ is in Switzerland, as is the "Crypto Valley": cryptovalley.swiss/
It'd be a more career-oriented destination, but I figure the attitude there is still less rat-race than USA.

Thanks for the good info.