Nordic Paganism

Where has this whole online movement with nordic paganism come from? Is it actually a good religion? What makes it better than religions like Christianity, Islam, or Judaism, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wGPb9fiSgfo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's not really a religion, it's just larping.

I'd be willing to bet quite a considerable sum of money that the vast majority of Norse pagans don't believe in any gods at all.

what's the appeal to larping? I don't get it.

Religion has community, traditions, culture, art, literature.. I don't see why a person would choose paganism where afaik there isn't even much of a real culture behind it compared to the abrahamic religions.

This They're just being contrarian. Kudos to whoever actually believes in it tho, I sure as hell won't tell them to stop.

They get to we wuz about the vikings and shit.

>what's the appeal to larping? I don't get it.
It started as hippy bullshit but now the cool kids have taken over

American neo pagans are just mongers like the rest of us desperately searching for some kind of ethnic identity.

People create "cultures"
"cultures" aren't created unchangeable from null

Germaboos make weebs look great

I have varying levels of interest in most non-Abrahamic or "pagan" religions, but for whatever reason I found Norse mythology to be boring as shit to the point where I had force to myself to pay attention when reading about Yggdrasil and other key myths. I can understand its appeal, but I personally don't vibe with it at all.

It's pretty much entirely political and an outgrowth of the internet killing the the American (And European) media's ability to shut down dissent.

Once you've realized that the Jews are destroying your country and you should eschew all things the Jews promote it becomes hard to worship a Jew and his father the God of the Jews. It's entirely natural to want something of your own, to see the Japanese with Shinto and the various Chinese ethnicities with their folk religions and then to look at yourself and realize that you...Don't have any of that. Protestantism is morally, historically, spiritually, theologically, and philosophically bankrupt and Catholicism is willingly making itself the same in a desperate attempt to appeal to atheists. So they look back to when we had that, which just so happens to be some 1500+ years ago at minimum.

Wait. Holy,carp, I remember this being a meme, not half a year ago, because black people got serious about the "we wuz kangs n shieeet" thing. Are you telling me, white people fell for a meme combating a meme?

On the other hand, our modern society has pretty much exploded in our understanding of pre-Christian religion and classical culture. Although the vast majority of people are completely and utterly unaware of the religious practices of their ancestors (the number of Italians who honestly think that their ancestors practiced regular human sacrifice is depressingly large) the understanding of those who actually do pay attention to that sort of thing has increased ten fold from what it was even just ten years ago. The reconstruction of Proto-Indo-European and the mythology of the Proto-Indo-Europeans - quite literally rebuilding a language and religion out of thin air - is frankly astounding. There's thousands of Latin Pagan texts that simply were never translated due to the vast quantity of them and their not actually being all that important. Archaeologists are finding more than ever and the reconstruction of the music of the classical world is a pretty recent phenomenon. For the majority of history people thought Rome's national anthem would have sounded like Triarii instead of...This:

youtube.com/watch?v=wGPb9fiSgfo

We Westerners have a huge debt to the classics and the vast majority of us are woefully uneducated about it. The fact that there's people who don't know why you should look at the history of Athens when they ask "Why shouldn't we run everything via mob rule?" is sadly far too high. There's a vast treasure of information our pre-Christian history gives us in politics alone, I'm not even accounting for economics, philosophy, morals, ethics, etc.

No, Christians reverting back to Paganism has been a thing since Gemistus Pletho thought the Byzantine Empire should go back to Hellenismos and this was in the 1400s. WE WUZ has been a meme for a year at most and Afrocentrism has only existed since about 1987 (The publishing of Black Athena).

I'm explaining the mentality, what I think is irrelevant, if you're actually interested in the topic go to >>/pol/. But for what it's worth every Jew I've ever met (About 30 or so) has been fucking scum no matter how interesting I find their religion.

I realize this, I was referencing the "larping" referencing the online movement in OP's post. And yes, while afrocentrism isn't a recent thing, it has only recently been popularized.

How are they scum? How would you describe your experiences with them?

Anti-antisemitism has nothing to do with the rise of paganism, hell the rise of paganism probably benefits Jews more than a united christian church ever could, especially considering a lot of protestant Americans worship the ground they walk on

and also you failed to mention how they ruin your country.

Nasty people, very materialistic, greedy and willing to flaunt it, not caring about their children after they've left the nest, not caring about their parents, very rushy, and prone to a toxic combination of ethnic supremacy and delusions of persecution. But that's just the ones I've met and is probably influenced by my line of work, this of course don't represent every Jew and this thread isn't about my contacts with the Jewish people.

>mfw the only jew I know was a /pol/ack

>Nasty people, very materialistic, greedy and willing to flaunt it, not caring about their children after they've left the nest, not caring about their parents, very rushy, and prone to a toxic combination of ethnic supremacy and delusions of persecution

I live in a conservative town with a lot of whites (slavs, brits, germans,) etc, and what you said applies to almost all of them.

What is your line of work?

I've only met about one Jew who I'm not in contact with anymore, and he was pretty legit. He worked as a car mechanic and had a good sense of humor, would frequently joke about being Jewish. I don't know why /pol/ wants me to hate him so much.

I've just come to assume that "jew" is a catch-all phrase that has the same meaning as "lizard people" or "capitalists" (if you are a commie).

A name for "they".

this pic is stupid because vikings raided foreign coasts and niggas usually burn their own neighborhoods

this pic is stupid because they think werhmacht was clean

Norse Pagan here

I believe in the gods but sadly there isn't a way to get a true recreation of old pagan religions since so little was written down. What we have was written after the height of the viking era or the interpretation of archaeological sites. In my experience meeting other Norse pagans there is a whole lot of LARPing which give people who actually practice a bad rep.

what practices so you agree with and what do you count as larping out of interest

Mostly people who say you have to chose a certain god to worship as well as needing to join a kindred (a group of other practitioners.) A lot of these ideas were brought in when Wicca blew up and became a big thing.

And then of course the people who say they're Norse pagan just to get those extra edge points and don't actually practice or believe in the gods.

Here in Norway you can join 'Bifrost', a community of Asatruande. You can go to their site and choose to participate in their 'gilde', basically a blot ceremony where they gather around a long table where they recite skald poetry, light fires and eat food among some things. Their organization have local host in all the geographical areas here.

Among one of their rituals is 'velysning'. By this ritual they 'cleanse' their surrounding area, in essence they ask the local wights permission to be guests. They do this with fire, water or singing. Somehow.

Why is appealing?
Christianity isn't that serious, and while kids got taught bible stories they were also told traditional folk stories. Both seem equally believable to many.

>where they gather around a long table where they recite skald poetry, light fires and eat food among some things.
This sounds fun actually.

Maybe if your autistic

>da joos are ruining my country it's not our fault

old boring scapegoat

I am not, Whats so bad about it?

>Where has this whole online movement with nordic paganism come from?
Nordic countries investing heavily into cheap internet for everyone in the 90's (since internet is considered a kind of infrastructure in the same way water, electricity and roads are).