Treaty of Trianon

Just a friendly reminder that on this day in 1920 the Treaty of Trianon was signed.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=865MBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=franz ferdinand slavophile&source=bl&ots=AI3OPWdqrU&sig=zgDsVROlLM-UbrxVjLKQEjpZX-U&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdw9nKvqXUAhVEMGMKHceRBHIQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=franz ferdinand slavophile&f=false
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Greater_Austria
youtu.be/Pnj9bKDeodY?t=58m41s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thanks God

A much harsher treaty than Verssailes. Aside from the bullshit reperations, Germans got off easy desu

>A much harsher treaty than Verssailes.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I always assumed that contemporary Hungarian butthurt about this was just among the history board autists, but I went to Budapest recently and people genuinely wear tshirts of pre-Trianon Hungary and sell maps and keyrings of the old borders everywhere. Pretty crazy desu

It wasn't a punishment, it simply recognized the reality on the ground. A-H had completely collapsed and these new nations had already risen up.

the dissolution of the germany, russia and ottoman empire were far worse in scale and consequence.

nobody even cares about hungary

>new """nations"""
>totally ignores OPs pic indicating the allocation of ethnic groups in these new """nation""" states

If Germany faced something similar to Trianon, it would lie between the Oder and the Rhine, and southern Germany would be its own state.

The nations themselves were ancient, but their independence was indeed new. Also, the fact that the Magyars attempted to genocide the Slavs they ruled and resettle their clay with Magyars is the reason why these nations have such absolute hatred for Hungary today, and indeed why the West was so quick to recognize their emancipation.

It didn't go far enough. Hungarians are terrible and should have stayed in the steppes.

What exactly do you mean by "new nations"
Slovaks existed as a people, they just didn't have a country prior.
The Czechoslovak government was in control of the area.
Yugoslavia was formed by the union of Serbia and the state of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs.
The only new things were the names.

>>new """nations"""

slavs have more history than turkic rapespawn that are hungarians, and romanians are directly related to romans

>Also, the fact that the Magyars attempted to genocide the Slavs
they didn't. magyarization was more about forced assimilation and favoratism for magyar speakers within the hungarian realm. and tbf this was not the doing of all magyars but by the land magnates who controlled the hungarian kingdom who feared the centrifugal forces of nationalism. while I agree this was a cruel policy it had the possibility of succeeding had World War One not broken out. This is exactly why the Hungarians were against avenging the Archduke by attacking serbia; they recognized the fragile state of ethnic relations in the kingdom and feared that the war would exacerbate this and make them lose control of events, which is what happened. It's also important to remember that the kingdom of hungary had been multiethnic kingdom since its founding so it was just as natural that hungary remain together as a multiethnic state after the war (though the idea of national self determinaition was probably too powerful at this point to overcome this)

hungarians started ww1 so they deserve everything they get

i phrased it awkwardly but when i said new "nations" i meant that alot of the so-called nation-states that came into existence after WWI were nothing of the sort. Yugoslavia was "western slavic" but as an identity it meant nothing to the Catholic Croats and Slovenes who were duped into joining it and became dominated by Orthodox Serbia. Czechoslovakia had huge minorities that were neither czech nor slovak. Romania now engulfed hundreds of thousands of hungarians. Nations, then, can be a powerful way to organize a centralized state but it's not guaranteed that this imagined category can unite similar groups with different politica, social and economic conditions.

always remember that nobody outside your particularly butthurt region of Central Europe cares or has even probably ever heard of it

Nice appeal to popularity, faggot. Important historical events aren't any less important because Chad and Stacy couldn't be fucked to read a book.
How?

black hand was directly funded by hungarians. franz joseph was a huge slavboo (read up on his wife) so they wanted to kill him to prevent further expansion of slav rights in the empire

>franz joseph

Oops i meant Franz ferdinand. His wife was basicaly Czech

>black hand was directly funded by hungarians
gonna need proof. the hungarians would not have been so stupid to risk instability to kill franz ferdinand.

read up on it, we're on the internet after all.

in any case - on Franz Ferdinand's love of slavs due to marrying a Czech -> books.google.com/books?id=865MBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=franz ferdinand slavophile&source=bl&ots=AI3OPWdqrU&sig=zgDsVROlLM-UbrxVjLKQEjpZX-U&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdw9nKvqXUAhVEMGMKHceRBHIQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=franz ferdinand slavophile&f=false

Franz Ferdinand even made a plan made for a "United States of Austria" which was basially Austro-Slovene-Hungary. -> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Greater_Austria

there's evidence from Russian intelligence officers that Black Hand was being supported and funded by Hungarians who feared that if United States of Greater Austria was founded, then Hungarians would lose their high status and slavs would become the dominant nation. So they had to kill the person who had plans on a USGA ie Franz Ferdinand (in russian) -> youtu.be/Pnj9bKDeodY?t=58m41s

i'm not going to digest all this info for you, but the basic idea is that hungarians were scared that a new slavaboo emperor was coming. so they funded the black hand to get rid of him.

in essence, hungarians started ww1

I don't claim absolute authority on the subject, but this man's observation is astute.

>in essence, hungarians started ww1
Top kek, that's some epic fucking revisionism. Kys retard

Hungarian here,
only the righties care about it, but those guys have "big-hungary" stickers on their cars and wear those t-shirts everyday

>read up on it, we're on the internet after all.
>i'm not going to digest all this info for you
this is typical lingo on Veeky Forums for "i don't have any sources, I'm stating theories that have no basis in sources, but this google search i did which brings up only tenuous evidence of my point is proof enough!"

Trianon was merciful. Look at how else Hungary would have turned out.

Well "forced assimilation". Whenever I ask people in Romania etc what this amounted too in practice, they reply "w-well we were forced to speak Hungarian in school"
Now I can understand why they resented the cultural imperialism and loss of autonomy, but just about every modern state has engaged or is engaged in such forced assimilation and genocide.

So it was nothing? It's perfectly reasonable to expect a uniform language in one nation along with local languages. Why couldn't Hungarian and German be the lingua franca while at the same time strengthening local languages?

>but just about every modern state has engaged or is engaged in such forced assimilation and genocide.
Absolutely agree here. Like literally everything in history, change brings new benefits as well as new disadvantages. Some groups win out and some groups lose. With regards to nation-building, this entails creating a homogenous state based on culture and language at the expense of local identities. In this sense the Hungarians were no more different than the French government in Paris during the Third Republic which carried out a massive campaign to create linguistic and cultural unity through the educational system. But, because we perceive Hungary as the "loser" of WWI and the Entente needed to justify the horrendous sacrifie of it all governments and academics attributed sinister qualities to Magyarization while the same processes in France and the UK (e.g. the near elimination of Irish language during the 19th century and the destruction of the Scottish Highlands) were just as devastating to local peoples, assuming that there is some sort of trauma that comes from the loss of one's former culture.

As I say in the problem was a nexus of social, economic and cultural issues. I agree that imposing a language is a form of standardization that reduces economic transaction costs as well as reduces tensions that might otherwise arise from language barriers (which probably coincides with geographical barriers and therefore a sense of economic, social and cultural distinctiveness arising from the different type of society this geography encourages). In this sense Magyarization was not so bad. Making Magyar mandatory in all government and legal contexts, as well as business, actually worked pretty well a lot of middle class minority groups "magyarized" because of it. The downside, as I hinted above, was that this policy was also a way for the Magyar elite to secure their social, cultural and economic position in the country. This meant denying the aspirations of other nationalities, because the formation of other nationalities would create a counter-elite of different ethnicity within the Hungarian realm to challenge the magnates. So, in this sense, Magyarization was more than a cultural policy but a form of social domination. The peripheries of the Hungarian kingdom would be at a severe disadvantage because without knowing Magyar they couldn't defend themselves in court, take a government job or secure a loan, let's say, because of their failure to assimilate.