How was it possible for a man to support his wife from ~1815 - ~1970 but today women working is a necessity for most...

How was it possible for a man to support his wife from ~1815 - ~1970 but today women working is a necessity for most couples?

Our society is so technologically advanced that fewer people than ever should be working but today both genders work outside the home.

What changes made this?

Other urls found in this thread:

dol.gov/wb/factsheets/qf-laborforce-10.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dual income families led to rampant inflation, increased consumption and economic growth, and normalization of new economic standards. Nothing is stopping us from going back to that but who wants to live in a fucking hovel and half the household income.

The standard of living has risen enormously. All that extra stuff and services that are considered part and parcel of modern life need to be produced.

Also this was more of a middle class thing (tho say post-WW II was maybe widespread) - poor people frequently could not make ends meet with only one person in the household working.

Even if the wife stayed at home, daughters of poor families would likely need to work.

>The standard of living has risen enormously.
In what regard?

Women entering the paid workforce drove wages down

Far lower infant mortality rates, refrigeration, medicine, near universal car ownership, shorter workweeks, etc.

No one cares about poorfags, you queer. A govt survey in the Victorian era showed only 10% of married women in paid employment.

Ironic that feminists fought for the "choice" of women to work and now they have no choice at all.

In pretty much every regard. A 19th century home didn't have electricity, or running water, or any of the appliances like a refrigerator, a television, or a microwave; comparing a house then and a house then is disingenuous. You have access to medical care undreamed of back then, when most of "doctoring" was "give em a shot of brandy and hope for the best". You have access to computers and all the information therein. Your tools and personal machinery are likely of better quality if equivalents did exist, and many things (like a car) didn't.

etc.

Yeah the economy would grind to a halt without uber drivers and McDonald's workers.

>posted from my iPhone

These are all relative improvements.

>now they have no choice at all

Absolutely stupid. What percentage of women in the United States work? Is it 100% or even close to that? Of course not. Read a book every now and then you filthy degenerate.

It's not a necessity, people in those days lived with less and expected to both in absolute terms and relative to what was available in their own time.

Something is wrong with the way our economies are heading.

People literally died to secure the right fo the 8 hour work day, but I now today, in 2017, hear media and politicians in my country talking about how we need to work longer hours.

Yes, technology has advanced. But that does not explain any rise in the cost of living as the newfangled wall phonevof 1920 probably cost about the same in that days money as a new iphone costs today.

Your smartassery and dismissive tone does not make you right.

cost of living is determined by how people choose to spend. It's not some fixed quantity determined by the laws of nature
see here

My point was that the rise in standard of living in regards to technological improvement is independent of cost of living.

my point is that "cost of living" is not a valid concept

About 60%, but that was in the recession. The number is closer to 75%. You can google it.

dol.gov/wb/factsheets/qf-laborforce-10.htm

>capitalcucks WILL defend this

Its valid you just consider it too arbitrary for your delicate sensibilities.

doesn't take into account growth in fringe benefits.

What is 'cost of living'?

Like the 2% 401k match

I can take a hot shower after I shit. Also the toliet flushes the shit away and I can wash my ass with soap.

If I lived in the 18th century, I'd shit in a bucket and would have to wipe my ass with newspapers resulting in less than optimal clean.

So yeah. Take away my hot showers and water toilets and I'll be on the streets throwing Molotov cocktails.

There was a lack of fiat currency cancer causing inflation devaluing everything making it harder to live every pasting decade.

>Take away my hot showers and water toilets and I'll be on the streets throwing Molotov cocktails.
No it won't

>lol candy crush
wew

I'm not your personal dictionary user, jfgi

what?

In what countries?

I think the resulting lack of faith in the government whose tenure saw the loss of hot showers and water toilets from first world living standards will see some serious dissent.

Most consumption is done by women.

this is not how economics work

Do you have anything to back up your statement

Capitalism. Instead of increased productivity freeing up more time for leisure and other pursuits, it's led to workers being paid less and stretched thinner

On top of this, post-secondary education used to mean something.

It used to be a reasonable question to ask if someone graduated High School, because not everyone did, and if you were going into a blue-collar assembly line position at the factory down the street (which used to be a position able to support a family), you didn't need a High School education anyways. Now you're expected to have AT LEAST graduated High School or people think there must be something wrong with you, like a behavioral or cognitive disorder.

And as for post-secondary, a University degree used to set you apart head-and-shoulders above the rest of the masses. Didn't even really matter on the field of study, if you had a degree in something, companies and corporations were hounding YOU to get you to work as a professional in that field for them. What's that? Bachelor of Psychology? Please come and work as a professional in our psych offices! We'll give you full accredation and certification to work in the field with us! Please don't go be a psychologist at any of our competing offices, we offer more benefits!

Now, if you want to get into any professional field, you have to have graduated with a Master's Degree and Honors in a field extremely specific to one position, ideally a STEM field or else you basically have a novelty degree, and also a second degree in a related field to support your initial degree, and even then you really have to know someone higher up in the field to get your foot in the door.

If you just have a Bachelor's degree in the field of choice, or a Master's without weeks to months of extracurricular volunteer time and self-arranged hands-on experience with professionals, they treat you like you just passed grade 10 by a hair and are now applying to become a doctor. If you don't even have a University or College degree, they think there must be something wrong with you, like a learning defect, significantly low I.Q, or a mental disability.

>Forbes: If the consumer economy had a sex, it would be female. Women drive 70-80% of all consumer purchasing, through a combination of their buying power and influence. Influence means that even when a woman isn’t paying for something herself, she is often the influence or veto vote behind someone else’s purchase.
www.archive.is/r0tfu

>Women Make Up 85% of All Consumer Purchases - Bloomberg

>Nielsen: Fleishman-Hillard Inc. estimates that women will control two-thirds of the consumer wealth in the U.S. over the next decade

>Women make 85% of all consumer buying decisions, including 53% of all stock investments, 64% of personal computers and 75% of over-the-counter medicine. Most business purchasing agents are women. 70% of all new businesses are started by women.

There's a reason that a man must get down on one knee and offer a woman a gold ring, and it sure as hell ain't
>muh patriarchy

women have always worked to earn for the family. Usually around the house, farm, or family business. Though there have been brief periods where scarcity of labor, allowed women to stay home and just raise children and be a hausfrau.

2nd wave feminists demanded the Patriarchy allow them to have careers. which doubled the labor pool size. causing wages to stagnate. now women have to work again or the family suffers.

Way to be progressive women.

ok...do you know anyone who has shit themselves to death? because if you lived in the 19th century everyone knew some-one who had shit themselves to death.

fucking THIS...

People shit themselves to death TODAY by the millions, imagine how much worse it was back then

that only happened because "free trade" and women wanting to work.

>No responses
Roasties must be toasties

Children used to always work too, so why not get them again?

Kikes pricing housing out of range of families

tbf the explosion in the (((housing))) market over the last 50 years is a thread to itself

Essentially this, nothing like spending four years in school to get a paper that allows you to say that you have a degree on your resume.

Women started working. Twice the supply of labour means half the price

One of the "fringe benefits" that apologists always bring up is smart-phones. Super powerful pocket computers available to the masses!
Which they then use to play Candy Crush. How many of the "fringe benefits" of the modern age are in reality just ways to divert people from their own lives and siphon money out of their pockets?

Now you could argue "just don't waste your money then". Sounds logical right? Until you realize you still need the seven hundred dollar smartphone that you're expected to replace every year in order to appear normal, even if you're not actually going to use it for anything that justifies it's processing power and price-tag.

>He cannot resist the need to impress other people with how long and thin his iPhone is.

You have weak character.

that's not what fringe benefits means. fringe benefits means your employer paying for your health insurance and shit like that.
if you don't see the value in a smart phone don't buy one.
calm down ffs.

Most fringe benefits are shit though.

High deductible health insurance, a shitty 401k instead of a pension and maybe an HSA contribution. Oh and a t shirt!

The ones that are really good, like (((Google))), expect basically round the clock work from you.

that's a generalization so broad and subjective as to be almost meaningless.

It's just as valid as "muh fringe benefits"

People in 1920 did not had to pay the internet bill, phone bill and cable bill. At most they had to pay the electricity and gas bill, and a lot of them not even that.

If you live in the US and you think you aren't being paid enough to flip a fucking burger you need to off yourself you pretentious child. You are literally a privileged minority in the world's stage.

First off, no, you don't need to replace your garbage fagphone from Apple every year.

Second off, if you aren't a pleb you won't buy a fagphone from Apple to begin with, but rather something more useful and practical.

Third, almost nobody in the middle class actually does this unless they are pety like you, and 99% of the people won't care if your phone is 10 years old unless YOU are bringing it up.

Fourth
>he has the entire knowledge of the world at his fingertips on his pocket, accessible almost at all times from almost anywhere and he uses for shitty cashcow games

Your own fault.