>Defending mistranslations.
Why is Veeky Forums so stupid?

>creates everything
>including time and entropy
>"Thou shalt not kill"
Nice hypocrisy Jah Jah

Elaborate

That's not what Exodus 20:12 says. תרצח is distinct from תהרוג

From what I understand the original said "murder" rather than "kill", implying there was a connotation about lawful killing which has been lost in translation.

Killing is not forbidden, in fact there is a commandment to kill Amalekites wherever you find them. The "Thou shalt not kill" actually means "thou shalt not murder a fellow Jew".

When did the all commandment thing got rounded up to only 10? I've read there are actually another 20 or so afterward, many about how to deal with trade, marriage agreements and so forth. Is it just a case of picking the most "important" ones and then tradition/habit settling in? Or is there more to it?

>When did the all commandment thing got rounded up to only 10?

They never were. Moses brought down ten from Sinai, but those aren't the ten Christians follow. In fact there are 613 commandments in the Bible, and no-one is quite sure how the Christian set of ten got chosen, when, or by whom.

>In fact there are 613 commandments in the Bible
Yeah I've heard this from jewish friends. A "good" jew should aim to follow something like 600 laws. Is that where the talmud and sanhedrin comes in? A way to catalog/interpret the best applications of those laws?

Also isn't there something about how gentiles only have to follow a basic 37 or something laws in order to live according to god's minimum demands?

"But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Numbers 31:18

Thanks God!!

There are a bunch of mitzvot that only apply when the Temple is rebuilt, and many strains of Judaism are pretty flexible when it comes to some of the others, but yeah the ideal is to live up to all 613.

Gentiles only have to follow the seven Noahide laws, in fact they are forbidden from following the others since they constitute God's special covenant with his chosen people, but gentiles who follow the seven laws will have a place in heaven.
>Do not deny God.
>Do not blaspheme God.
>Do not murder.
>Do not engage in illicit sexual relations.
>Do not steal.
>Do not eat from a live animal.
>Establish courts/legal system to ensure obedience to said laws.

>the seven Noahide laws
>they constitute God's special covenant
Yeah I find the concept of covenants quite fascinating. There's been quite few too, the abrahamic covenant, the noahic covenant, the mosaic covenant, etc. And then I suppose the christian covenant too in its own way.

The history behind the idea of a blood pact and a "charter" so to speak between god and a chosen people is really bizarre but apparently quite old. I was reading about that topic a while back and saved that essay. Is that a fair assessment of the "mainstream" jewish perspective on the matter?

jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/4714-covenant

Atheist here. I'm not planning on killing anyone, nor would I want to, but why shouldn't I?

It's bad m'kay

*murder

Contrary to that site's view, Jews aren't the only ones to have this concept of a covenant with their god, Yazidis likewise claim a covenant with their god, as did the Assyrrians before they turned their back on their god and were wiped out as a race as a punishment. It's likely other Canaanite groups held covenants with their Ba'als, tho it's far from clear. I would guess the idea is a very ancient Semitic innovation in religion.

Do you want to be killed? No? Then it is in your own interest to ensure that murder is illegal and murderers are punished.

The Jewish Encyclopedia is well-regarded by reform Jews, less so by hardeim who tend not to trust anything not written in Hebrew or Yiddish. But yes that article seems pretty unobjectionable, I doubt you'd find many Jews taking issue with it.

Thanks pham

translate please
unable to read those merchant symbols

תרצח means murder, or "kill unlawfully", תהרוג means kill more generally, not just when a person kills but when say you fall off a cliff and are killed.