Is nihilism basically the default mode of existence if you don't keep yourself continuously busy and distracted until...

Is nihilism basically the default mode of existence if you don't keep yourself continuously busy and distracted until the day you die?

Now that im out of high school I'm beginning to think so

Well, if you think about it Nihilism could be quite destructive to society seeing how as there would be no belief in anything. Only existence with no meaning

>Absurd hero

Life only has as much meaning as you're willing to believe. Life has meaning if you choose to believe in a God. Life has meaning if you choose to dedicate it to helping people, or achieve a particular goal.

it's much as a coping mechanism as keeping yourself occupied, we don't know what kind of forces, if any, rule our existence beyond the material and this uncertanty fucks us up

specify nihilism. moral, existential, other?

the benefits of unspooking the masses would far outweigh the brief moments of existential ennui

>unpooking the masses
Poorly educated, irrational, emotional, superstitious, thoughtless, easily provoked to violent rampages. You mean those masses?
>you think you can?
>you think you should?
The consequences of trying to 'red pill' the masses could make the holocaust look like a Sunday outing with the kids. The last guy who tried to 'red pill' the masses, for instance, was Carl Marx. See how well that turned out?

Nihilism is just a tool. And like any tool, it can be used improperly as well as abused. Give a child a hammer and everything becomes a nail. Nihilism was also a darling philosophy of the NAZIs - although they took it too bloody literally. But they used it to help them justify their actions. Nietzsche was spinning in his grave the whole time.

Yes a mind untainted by the filthy hands of society and religion acknowledges and gladly embraces the notion that life is completely meaningless, it also recognizes that this isn't an excuse to sulk around but rather maintain and try to enjoy their time on earth while they still can.

What's the point of enjoying your life if you're going to do anyway?

Because being happy is better than being sad? Do whatever the fuck you want life is short and has no real goal.

It is the brutal truth for the unwashed masses.

>Is nihilism basically a symptom of depression
pretty much

What's the point of even living if you don't enjoy life and die anyway. Why not just end your existence?

So depression is realization of the truth?

yes

>>So depression is realization of the truth?
depression = failed hedonism = the opposite of truth/non-permanence

>Karl Marx
>redpill the masses
This gave me a good chuckle.

If you're a little bitch
Sadly, I think I am

>non-permanence
permanence

Feel like the regressive paths of nihilism will ultimately sneak into the mind of a person who has no faith. If you deep down think this is just a meaningless random experience, I can see how someone could adopt and form some pretty terrible regressive in nature conclusions.

The scary thing is that I think it's more possible to be functioning nihilist and be proud at the same time in today's world, due to technology. You can have these regressive seeds in the back of your mind, but be distracted by TV or Video games and never really have to embrace your regressive seeds until left alone or presented with challenges.

If you're living, you should have something to do or orient yourself towards. That is the default mode of existence. It is only western "progress" that has made DOING things seem irrelevant and wasteful by making the individual a pointless unit in "the grand scheme of things."

Why do you assume that "keeping busy" is just a distraction? Do you think that you should be fully content and pleased simply by existing in the world? Why do you think fulfillment is passively achieved?

You're'std've a fucking idiot if you think this.

>You can have these regressive seeds in the back of your mind, but be distracted by TV or Video games and never really have to embrace your regressive seeds until left alone or presented with challenges.

Society orienting itself towards brainless pleasure-vessels that disconnect from their own individuality feelsbadman

>muh truth
>muh morality
this thread is full of bullshit

Yeah man, the more you get into this, it's not just technology either, I mean (TV/Video games) was just a simple obvious element of distraction I thought of. Lame example, but an example of distraction. But I mean pride itself is a dictation of focus on a structure of yourself, which can serve as a blockade/distraction to the truth that one might need more adjusting or addressing of something not quite right within.

Strange shit when you think about it.

From my experience, life, the psychology involved, is like steering a boat. You're at the will of the winds and the sea and are constantly being called on to make adjustments. The more skilled you get at this, the more adept you can become.

The nihilistic element though, that despondency, it can be living in the back of the mind and you won't see it manifest until you're bored, have to step up to a challenge, left alone, etc etc.

Life's hard man

Get a hold of "Open Sky" by Paul Virilio. Between that and C.G. Jungs "Undiscovered Self," one really gets the picture of how modern society has turned attention away from the individual in almost every way. Really great descriptions of the phenomenon we're discussing and why it has occurred in times of such rapid """progress"""

I think there is a sort of internal pilgrimage one must make within their mind in order to come into the world. An individual has to find and forge a personal meaning in life which is beyond status quo and public approval, else their entire existence is a matter of other peoples opinion. To live such an unstable life as being moreso defined by others than by one's self...that is very much like letting your boat sail in a storm without ever taking the wheel. Subject to ever-changing winds in all directions...no wonder such a life would lead to nihilism.