Why couldn't Sauron spare a few orcs to guard Mt. Doom?

Why couldn't Sauron spare a few orcs to guard Mt. Doom?

He was so consumed by his obsession with the Ring that he couldn't comprehend that anyone would ever want to destroy it.

Why would he need to?
The ring would be returned to him no matter who tried to destroy it so there's really no need to bother.

You know, just in case. Also, why didn't he just collapse the entrance?

Aragron baited him in front of the black gate.

You don't understand.
Anybody short of God or an angel with the intention of throwing the ring into the lava wouldn't have the will to destroy it in the end and would leave to use it's power for their own.
Granted though, it was his arrogance that his will was irresistible, which it was, that ironically prevented him from barricading the entrances.

Why didn't the Fellowship just ride the eagles to Mordor?

Nazgul. Also the eagles are not immune to the ring's power and they are dicks who show up as they please to a certain extent.
Read the book.

But the eagles easily killed the nazgul. Also wouldn't it be in their best interest to help? And didn't Bilbo ride the eagles before even though he possessed the ring

Redpill me on Sauron. Was he really the bad guy? Or is it all elvish propaganda?

each of those hobbits can murder around 100 orcs before getting injured, when that happens all the other hobbits go into nakama mode and kill 300 each, so there was no point
weird that he didnt notice them passing cirith ungol

>Fly a bunch of fuck huge eagles at the Black Gate guarded by thousands of Orcs and Southlings with absolutely no distraction
I foresee absolutely no trouble with this plan

>implying they have to do a frontal fly passing over baradur to middle finger the big eye

Remember Columbine? Eric Harris was an edgy kid who hated his dad and wanted to cause misery, Dylan Klebold was influenced by him and they made a duo of edgelords

You can see similarities between Morgoth and Sauron

AND HUMANITIES

SERIOUSLY MODS WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?

Are you saying that literature isn't humanities?

This. And he was right too. No one could willingly destroy the ring, it was destroyed by pure chance and the intervention of Eru.

im not that retard, but literature has its own board actually
i would actually mix them since diversity is power but that's me

>two manlets do a fucking tiring travel defying common sense and reach their aim
>thanks eru!
mfw

>But the eagles easily killed the nazgul
They were distracted by other combat IIRC:
> Also wouldn't it be in their best interest to help?
I don't think so.
>And didn't Bilbo ride the eagles before even though he possessed the ring
The eagles are prideful creatures, so they helped Bilbo and the dwarves out since they shared a common interest IIRC.

The eagles are cunts and only helped out because they owed Gandalf for events never expanded upon

Are you saying that literature and games aren't part of humanities?

Tolkien wrote in his letters that Eru caused Smeagol to trip into Mt Doom. Eru's reasoning being that in that moment all of ME was expending all of its effort to rid itself of this evil, and it still wasn't enough, and so Eru basically said fuck it to his free will thing and decided to throw ME a bone.

I've been laughing at this for 5 solid minutes.

They help out Gandalf because he once nursed their king back to health after he got shot with an arrow. Eagles are very proud and generally don't give a shit about anyone who's not an eagle. The only reason why they show up at the end is because they finally get it through their heads that they have a stake in the fate of ME too.

glad to make your day better

This plus the eagles were commanded by Manwe. The Valar did not want to intervene in the affairs of ME after Numenoreans so Manwe didn't order the eagles to help out.

This is also the reason why the Istari are sent to unite the Free Peoples against Sauron with so much restrictions.