Aesthetic tactics

Post formations, units, uniforms, or some other historical military component that look visually pleasing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CTYuYxmICGo&t=104s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>be average Carthage soldier
>see 80,000 of these badasses charging you on their elephants

Looks like kid pajamas.

Battle depictions are game too.

this meme is getting out of hand

why

If you jump in the air you always have the high ground.

>jumping over the shield wall that would protect you of the incoming charge before it even hit, thus jamming yourself between enemy fighters and friendly pikes
That's pretty dumb.

I'm intrigued. What appeal did this formation have? Did fresh troops at the front line preform significantly better than worn ones? How did the cavalry manage to turn their backs to the battle and be safe? How wide were these formations in practice? This pic seems like it could be flanked.

Spanish Tercio = Best Tercio

>MUH CINEMATIC ACTION SEQUENCES
fucking americans

Because the producers(or Warner btards don't really know) got so greedy that when the original director left, they gave PJ almost no time to do what he was supposed to do. LOTR years of pre-production.

My butt still clenches in agony because of this fuck up. Fucking motherfuckers.

*LOTR had

I'm too angry for this.

>What appeal did this formation have? Did fresh troops at the front line preform significantly better than worn ones?
The first line would fire and then fall back to the rear of the formation for reloading, followed by the next rank and so on... It's called Counter-march, and musketeers did the same thing.

>How did the cavalry manage to turn their backs to the battle and be safe?
Against enemy cavalry : they didn't, and that's one reason why this tactic was abandoned. On the other hand, pikemen really couldn't do anything.

>How wide were these formations in practice?
During the Thirty Years War, Tilly's regiment were 80 wide, and Dutch and German were 50 wide.

They were shooting a practical version of the battle but the schedule was so chaotic that they had to scrap it. They fired all the extras on the spot too.

Retarded

agreed

>Elven cucks jump right between friendly pikes And charging enemy
>Heavier And more armoured orcs who have advantage of already being in a motion hit them
>Light weight elven cucks got thrown at friendly shield wall

Is this the ultimate retard tactics? Not even modern Italian Army would do something as retarded.

19th century naval warfare makes me hard desu

>Peter Jackson
>American
OBSESSED
B
S
E
S
S
E
D

>256
did the macedonians know about the binary system

> Loose the hounds!

Bet you wish you'd made those shields longer now!

How do historians know what color cloth they wore? Or the style of their armor?
Isn't it kinda like guessing what dinosaurus looked like? Like they could have feathers or be yellow or anything, all we have is fossils.
???

I wish that all that mattered in wars was how aesthetic the formation/ armor was and how much relative swag each side had.
I wish war hadn't degenerated..

i have a few i can post

wat
We are talking about humans here. They left written records, archeological artifacts (like pieces of armour) and artistic depictions. How can you compare historical records and findings with fossils from animals that lived 65 million years ago?
>inb4 I was merely pretending

Brutal

cuirassiers on the right hussars on the left

russian conquest of the steppe, not exactly sure on this one

actually on that cavalry strike every horse also carried a light infantryman behind the rider so pic not accurate

>what is kneeling

>What is becoming a target for artillery

Or

MOTHER
FUCKING
WAR
CHARIOTS
OH
SHIT
NIGGA

>AESTHETIC formations thread
>Goes full autist to point out any flaw in given formation.

ok

God damn it, why did Peter Jackson have to make the Hobbit?

>Elven cucks jump right between friendly pikes And charging enemy

Consider the following:
>Elves and Dwarves don't get along
>Elves say fuck the Dwarves and go for glory.

Except in the books they were able to at least get along well enough to work out sensible tactics.

'60's & 70's hardware

glorious af

Those damn Yanks and their nets..

the elvish line during the War of the Ring scene in the first LotR movie was slick as fuck, though

Source?

alatriste

youtube.com/watch?v=CTYuYxmICGo&t=104s

>everyone is armored to shit in this era
>better carry a slashing short sword as my primary weapon hurr

literally the only explanations for eastern warfare is shitty armor or virtually everyone they fought didn't have armor, like the samurai.

Gracias

>That downward-pointing sabaton
Just fuck my ability to walk normally up senpai

>Lords
>walking

begone peasant

>what is naginata

>eastern warfare
Oh boy

> Trying to stop an advancing line by raising your sword exactly at the moment of contact
Slick maybe, but useless in real life

Elves are suppose to be a literal ancient, super intelligent and powerful race filled with heroes and warriors that have survived countless battles for thousands of years, you do not survive for thousands of years being literal retards on the battlefield because muh glory (with a few exceptions obviously)
They should have supported the flanks of the phalanx and flanked if they were able, the dwarves show an amazing ability to hold the line at the end of the battle, they didn't need the help. The elves meanwhile were practically all dead by the time the dwarves were making their final stand because they decided to be retards and abandon tactical sense, which is ridiculous considering how ridiculously drilled and experienced the elf army is in the previous setup scenes.

swords aren't primaries my guy

Please actually READ Tolkien before you say crap like this. The elves in question, those of the Woodland realm, got slaughtered during the War of the Last Alliance the exact same way their forebears got crushed during the First age, namely by taking a bunch of guys with hunting bows to try to fight armored orcs and getting nowhere.

Elves are no brighter than hum,ans. They certainly aren't all survivors of countless battles,or heroic warriors. And they don't particularly drill, or at least give no indication of such.

The old guard dies but it does not run

Just 16 long and 16 wide.

Eastern warfare was overwhelmingly fought with spears and bows and occasionally won with decisive cavalry charges (does that sound familiar? it should). Swords were side arms used for personal defense or fighting in the thick of a melee where you can't really use a spear. Something worth noting is that both the spears and bows used in Japan in particular were two handed weapons which is why shields fell out of use. They were used previously in the genpei war and earlier major conflicts, but the reliance on very long two handed spears as well as archers caused personal shields to be less common and instead portable screens and barricades became the norm.

this is fascinating

Except those are Sylvan Elves, basically the lowest caste/race of elves among the Umanyar, the only elves lower than them on the Elven totem pole are the Avari, who are so irrelevant that no tales of them exist. Here's a list of Sylvan Elf "heroic" accomplishments throughout the Ages:
>First Age: summoned to fight by the Sindarin High King, Thingol, in the First Battle against Morgoth, their appointed king was killed and much of his army slaughtered because they had nothing but light leather armor and hunting bows. Spend rest of First Age hiding in Ossiriand until it's destroyed thousands of years later following the catastrophic Last Battle against Morgoth
>Second Age: a Sindarin elf proclaims himself king of your people and you roll with it. Then in the Last Alliance of Elves and Men at the end of the Second Age you are once again summoned to battle, this time by the last Noldorin High King, Gil-galad. Your Sindarin king decides he doesn't like taking orders from a Noldor elf and leads your (leather-clad and armed with hunting bows only) people to be slaughtered once again by orcs (who this time are commanded by Sauron).
>Third Age: the son of that Sindarin elf who got your people butchered thousands of years ago decides he wants to lead you into a war against orcs, dwarves, and humans over some treasure or something and you agree because apparently your great history of failure has taught you nothing

>Elves are no brighter than hum,ans
The Eldar were supposed to be very wise, especially those who actually went to Aman. Woodland Elves though were basically no better than men.

The Eldar have their share and more of phenomenally stupid shit that they do. Pretty much everything Feanor does ever is retarded.

You do know that is a Ming-Qing style brigandine armor worn by heavy cavalrymen?

In particular that is Qing period, worn by bannermen cavalrymen, who fought primarily as horse archers, but wielded all sorts of weapons like lances, swords, maces, axes and muskets.

Noldor became blinded by butthurt over the Silmarils, but the Sindar were making the best out of a bad situation for the most part. Oropher not withstanding.

For starters, the Sindar never went to Aman. Secondly, the Sindar do a lot of dumb crap too. Thingol's "let me fuck over the entire kingdom because I don't like my daughter's boyfriend" springs rather readily to mind.

Sindar are still Eldar, Eldar just refers to Elves of the Great Journey. The Sindar are those of the Teleri who went west and then settled in Beleriand. Also don't forget Thingol got fucking lost in Beleriand and that's why his people never went to Aman.

Yes, I know. But you specifically stated > especially those who actually went to Aman

Also, didn't Thingol not so much get lost as found a hot maia chick to bone?

It depends on the version. A lot of references to it just say he became lost in the forests of what became Doriath, but that's where his wife was so he probably just got tired from boning her.

Oh, and Thingol actually did go to Aman by the way. He's the only Sindar to ever see the light of the trees. Back when he was still called Elwe he was one of the three Elven ambassadors chosen to go to Aman and then bring word back to their people of the light of Valinor. And a lot of good it did him.

How worthless were the chinese boats compared to the European ones?

I get the feeling the Europeans could do 8s around those fucking ships.

In addition,
>everyone is armored to shit in this era
considering OP's pic has much of it's brigandine plates remove save the chest area, I bet, that piece of kit is from the 1700s.

Which was a period where mass armor usage died in China (and almost everywhere else) because the state armies were so large, it was better to dedicate production in weaponry than in armor.

Just like their European counterparts, the Chinese soldier of the 1700s wore uniforms, with infantry having the typical jacket with a rank badge in front (kinda like an Imperial Chinese dogtag). Only the Bannermen were armored, performing the role of both horse archer and heavy cavalry cuirassier.

Men killing men, all for the kings and their little sausages.