I'd like to learn about the idea of Irish culture

I'd like to learn about the idea of Irish culture.

Is it exclusively gaelic? Or are the gaelic elements the only ones that are at all translated to modern times?

I feel like Irish culture for the most part is-similar to scotland and wales-just a weird cousin of British culture now, so any pockets of true celtic/gaelic/irish culture that are alive today or that would be worth reviving if possible would be nice to know/read about.

Other urls found in this thread:

irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/muhammad-fastest-growing-boys-name-10535640
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Irish
>Culture
Pick one

That's what I mean, it's hard to actually think of any real parts of irish culture even existing beyond semi-revived Gaelic Sport and I guess Irish Dancing?

Which is a pity because I hate to see any culture die out completely. I'd love to see it revived, properly.

Irish culture was on the way to somewhat being revived with the Gaelic League and the GAA. You had Yeats and Lady Gregory restoring Irish folklore and mythology. However globalization/Americanization began to happen, this along with the war of Independence and Civil War put this revival on the back burner so to speak. You can see its presence in tons of European countries today.
But there are some pockets of Ireland that try to keep Irish culture alive. Here only Irish is spoken, these areas are called Gaeltachts. I've been to one, very nice place. The Irish government is trying to keep the language alive via mandatory Irish exams and Irish only schools called Gaelscoils. But Irish in ordinary schools is taught so poorly that a lot of people are put off by the language all together. Again the Americanization comes into play here because of the constant bombardment of American media on Irish children basically turn them into little Americans. They take up their left leaning political views and in some cases lose all semblance of an Irish accent. Its awful.
Irish sports are doing fine. Infact I think Gaelic is being watched by many across the globe.
Anyway Irish culture isn't just the sorts and language its the way they go about their daily lives. Irish people are generally easy going folk with moderate political views. They generally have a strong sense of community. Like you could meet a random old women and she would recognize that you look like your father Paul and start a convo with you. If there is one aspect of Irish culture that will survive its this easy going nature.
If the Irish government doesn't get its act together and start funding schools and Irish only media then yeah Irish culture will be fucked. Its pretty sad.

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave
the language'll be dead within the century and we'll be another samey sort of Anglo culture, an island of people with funny accents is the most you can say about it
A half-Indian gay fella just became Taoiseach and people fell over themselves praising the fact that there's a "minority" leading the country

now delete this thread I don't like thinking about this

Generally speaking Ireland gets more culturally Irish the further west you go, with Dublin sort of being the epicentre of foreign influence.

Of course the Gaeltachts are practically non existant. You have, what? Bit of Kerry, Connacht and Donegal and a few islands. And everyone there speaks English for the tourists anyway. It's sad to see Irish go but English IS far more practical, it makes sense to stick with the worlds' most popular language. There's only 5 million people so the incentive to hold on to Irish isn't as strong.

English isn't going to be lingua franca forever, by the time it stops being such Irish will be dead though

Don't worry, soon Arabic will replace English as Ireland's main language. The process has already begun: irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/muhammad-fastest-growing-boys-name-10535640

Damn Irish were Veeky Forums as fuck

>irishmirror

Always have been.

Yup

>For boys, Muhammad, Louis, Lucas Josh, Jason and Ollie had most growth in popularity while Willow, Matilda, Harper, Heidi and Zoey were the fastest risers for girls.
literally none of these are gaelic kek
can't wait for this country to crash and burn

Wait, what? Why would it stop? What do you think will replace it?

who knows
Mandarin or something probably, that's been a meme for a while now though
it'll die eventually

Yeah but English has such a strong foothold. The internet has adopted English, things like computer programs use English words, and newly developed words tend to be in English, and other countries just use them as-is. For example the literal translation for computer in German is "Rechner" but now they just use "Computer". Same goes for words like "Internet" and "galaxy". (Note that I have a Eurocentric perspective for this). Sure, China might have a lot of people, but they don't really have the influence. Who knows, maybe eventually all the languages will mash together with English acting as some sort of interstitial fluid.

Russians and Asians have their own sort of internets that Westerners don't go on most of the time though

Fair enough, as I said my view is probably biased.

u know it

Haha gay

>16th century
Is this serious? Why were they so behind?

What do you mean by "behind"? That's just how they dressed

Ireland being unimportant has a tendency of it ain't broke don't fix it. So how we did war didn't change for ages.

Hugh O'Neill's army was actually quite up to date, which was one of the main reasons they were able to win so many battles against the English:
>Gaelic warfare was anything but static, as Irish soldiers frequently looted or bought the newest and most effective weaponry. By the time of the Tudor reconquest of Ireland, the Irish had adopted Continental "pike and shot" formations, consisting of pikemen mixed with musketeers and swordsmen. Indeed, from 1593 to 1601, the Gaelic Irish fought with the most up-to-date methods of warfare, including full reliance on firearms (see Nine Years' War).

nah english is also the language used for science, business, and diplomacy. latin america isnt going to just drop english and learn mandarin or whatever.

Why don't they wear shoes?