Okay, so I have an airgapped computer and am wondering whether cold storage wallets are really secure

Okay, so I have an airgapped computer and am wondering whether cold storage wallets are really secure.

If I understand this correctly, you use a usb key to save transactions you made in the online computer and then sign the transaction by transferring it to the airgapped computer.

If you had viruses in your computer would they not be transferred with the USB as well?

Can bitcoins or crypto be truly secure or is it all just a meme that will never go mainstream?

Please reply, thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Please reply, thank you.

k

;(

You're welcome

Burn CDs if you don't trust your USB drives and drivers to be resilient enough.

I meant answer the questions, my friends.
Much appreciated.

=]

Just copy and paste your private key onto a text document on google drive

Wouldn't the virus just go to the CDs?

That would be horribly unsecure.

Don't use CDs. They degrade way faster than flash storage like a USB. Use a paper wallet if you're really concerned and never have your private key on storage.

How can you sign anything at all from an offline computer?

>How do I into crypto?
>Plz respond, kthanx

I am actually interested in storing it in airgapped computer. I feel like the USB can be damaged. What do you think of hardware wallets though like the Ledger Nano S?

>generate private key in offline computer
>generate public key from private key in online computer
>make transaction in online computer
>save transaction from online computer into USB
>connect USB to offline computer
>sign transaction from USB in offline computer
>connect USB to online computer, tell the blockchain

I know how to crypto. I am just asking if it can be completely secure.

Imagine if you had millions in bitcoins. It is so easy to steal.

>generate public key from private key in online computer
doesn't this defeat the whole purpose? you want to keep the private key away from the internet

you don't need a usb wallet, just use warpwallet to create the public/private keys (salt it), write the passphrase on a paper, send your coins to the address and if your coins get there, they're safe.

If you don't have USB autoplay activated or click stupid shit a virus can't just spread from USB to your PC.

More secure:
1) use a cam and scan transaction QR code with the offline PC.
2) hardware wallet

If you hold more than pocket money the airgapped pc setup is just way too much hassle. Just buy a hardware wallet.

write your private key on a piece of paper
store the piece of paper in a fire-proof safe
it is now 100% secure
why is this so hard for people

They seem good. Never used one but as long as they don't get physically stolen they are safe. Slightly better than paper wallet in some ways.

>virus cant spread from usb to pc
Wrong

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

not that it's impossible , but most viruses are not designed to interact with USB at all. stuxnet was the most advanced virus ever seen at the time and was specifically designed to be transferred off usb.

some silly cunts here just memorize using your human brain

It depends on your level of paranoia.

>If you had viruses in your computer would they not be transferred with the USB as well?

Possibly, but those would appear separately on the drive. Also, if your computer is airgapped, the viruses couldn't transmit your wallet information anywhere else. Maybe they could delete your files but that's it.

>Can bitcoins or crypto be truly secure or is it all just a meme that will never go mainstream?

Nothing is truly secure. Maybe the airgapped computer you bought has a malicious rootkit that automatically installs on a freshly formatted drive. Maybe there's a deliberate but undetectable error in the random number generator processor deliberately inserted by the NSA in order to substantially weaken the encryption strength and make you private keys
detectable.

Crypto can be secure enough though.

You could just decide not to use that computer as a wallet and back up your keys in multiple physical places. My experience is there is always some broke nigger that thinks they are smart and steal shit. They are always someone you know. I don't think my PC has ever been hacked.