Failed Empires

Which Nations in history had everything going for them and dropped the fucking ball?
Pic very related

Other urls found in this thread:

academia.edu/3258279/A_Plague_of_Ships_Spanish_Ships_and_Shipbuilding_in_the_Atlantic_Colonies_Sixteenth_and_Seventeenth_Centuries
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nothing makes me cringe harder...

Germany.

Soviet Union

all of them

Spain had 1/4th of the population of France. If anything they over-achieved

Still. They had half the fucking globe in their clutches and lost 100% of it. Only surpassed by Italy in terms of fucking it all up irredeemably.

>They had half the fucking globe in their clutches
Due its very small population. It still lasted the longest amongst all the colonial empires excluding Portugal.

How could you expect that your ally would have a revolution, or that the post-revolutionary government would invade and depose your king? Or that military Juntas would spring up everywhere? You can't really predict or prepare for something so novel.

>Failed
More like very underrated

>Failed.
>Lasted 300 years.

They sucked at economy.

Because they did not know how to nation build. Instead they just created a shitty colony ruled by a corrupt spanish elite that subjugated the natives. Never building anything to build these societies up. They either should have replaced the population completely or more logically brought everyone up to standards.

Eating up propaganda.

>Never building anything to build these societies up.
They built 1000 cities,300 ports,22 universities and shit tone of missions and institutions to educate natives. I don't know how much you could expect for a XVI century empire

t. Simon Bolivar

? Do you even know who is Bolivar?

despite an extremely strong latino identity, south america is not part of spain

Humboldt was impressed with Mexico City, which at the time was the largest city in the Americas, and one that could be counted as modern. He declared "no city of the new continent, without even excepting those of the United States, can display such great and solid scientific establishments as the capital of Mexico". He pointed to the Royal College of Mines, the Royal Botanical Garden and the Royal Academy of San Carlos as exemplars of a metropolitan capital in touch with the latest developments on the continent and insisting on its modernity. One example.

Another one is pic related, the first university in the Philippines and one of the first in all Asia.

A monkey

>nation build
Ironically, Nationalism doomed the Spanish Empire.

The non-inclusion of Colonials (including purebred Spaniards born in said colonies) created antagonism between those in the Colonies and in the Peninsula.

This was in stark comparison in earlier Spanish colonial history when all you needed to be a Spanish subject was Catholicism and recognizing the King of Spain as your liege.

>latino identity
Cringy af.Their culture is nothing like latin culture

The Spanish Colonial Elite consisted of Spaniards, Half-breeds, and Natives. It wasn't cut and dry.

We are latin(o). 5/6ths of latino is "latin".

Latino is latin in Spanish.A bunch of Peruvians calling themselve latin is just dumb

Peruvians aren't the ones who used the term for them though don't blame them.

Then why do you claim that they have a "latino" identity? The only countries that can LARP as latins are Argentinians and Uruguayans

Japan

They also lost Netherlands and Italy.

>They also lost Netherlands
The Dutch needed a huge coallition to even survive
> and Italy
When? It didn't even exist.Are you high dude?

Source of them building 22 unis in the new world before 1600

*lands in Italy

I got impression that losing Netherlands was a sore blow for Spanish economy and ship building capabilities, I might be wrong though.

>didn't even have the resources to sustain a modern army on their island
>had everything going for them
nah m8

>ship building capabilities
That's wrong, Cuba and mainland Spain were far more important.

>Cuba
>more important than the Netherlands (the richest region of Europe around that time)
I don't think the Spanish king had difficulties with discarding Cuba. Spain was bankrupt and it was dependent on the taxation of the Netherlands

I'm talking about shipbuilding capabilities, Cuba was, by far, the largest shipyard in the spanish empire. It launched 200 ships in the XVII century, including the biggest of its time, The Santisima Trinidad. The money that came to Spain from the Netherlands was a fraction of what came from the Americas.
I guess that you are a dutch that clearly overstimates the relevance of its country.

There were built 7 universities before 1600. But why before 1600?

>Spain was bankrupt and it was dependent on the taxation of the Netherlands
Most of Spain's revenue didn't come from the Netherlands.In fact Lombardy and Naples contributed more or less the same in terms of manpower and revenue than the Netherlands

>Cuba was, by far, the largest shipyard in the spanish empire. It launched 200 ships in the XVII century,
sources?

We could be living in a glorious Persian future.

>loses empire
>brexits
>gets bombed and stabbed

After a serious decline whichbottomed out in the 1670s and 1680s (MacLeod 1984a: 345), the efforts of men likeFrancisco Arias de Vivero would herald a new era of colonial shipbuilding. Under themaritime Bourbon reforms of the following century, Havana’s yards would again put outlarge vessels in the same numbers as she had in the first three decades of the 17
th
century.Spain would go further than any other major power in the development of her overseasshipbuilding facilities, making Havana without question the most advanced shipbuildingcenter anywhere in the world outside of Europe, with at least 74
navíos de línea
or ships-of-the-line built there in the 18
th
century (Lavery 1989: 284; Harbron 1988: 51-75). Thepride of Havana’s
astilleros
was the 144-gun flagship
Santísima Trinidad
, launched in 1769 and widely regarded as the most powerful sailing warship ever afloat.

Page 36 of academia.edu/3258279/A_Plague_of_Ships_Spanish_Ships_and_Shipbuilding_in_the_Atlantic_Colonies_Sixteenth_and_Seventeenth_Centuries

But you can read from the page 21 onwards to get a grasp of the whole situation if you want.

>Europe fulfils all the criteria for age of decadence

wtf

And UK lost all of their Empire, what's your point

You failed at history mate

Why are you surprised?

>2017-1776

Is the "Spain fucked itself and Europe's economy with massive influx of gold from the New World leading to hyperinflation" meme I learned in school not true?

Spain killed its own economy by snuffing out its own manufacturing due influx of silver from Americas and funnelling that silver out of country pouring money into their problems and basically becoming a welfare state for nobles. The fact that majority of its European income into the country was coming from a port in Netherlands and they also lost that didn't help, of course.

The colonial elites were spanish born spaniards. Everyone else was below them and the criollos.

Spain deserved it tbqh. For all the chaos and destruction they caused iberia should be wiped away from the earth. Nothing of value would be lost.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Mongols yet

no it was inevitable

>For all the chaos and destruction they caused
Only the Spanish did this...

>Spain deserved it tbqh. For all the chaos and destruction they caused iberia should be wiped away from the earth. Nothing of value would be lost.
t.Steven Osvaldo Delgado the brainlet sudaca

This one for sure.

I guess the Abbasids had a good run, but it was pretty well downhill from there for the Arab empires/caliphates

The slayer of Turks
The destructor of piracy
The bane of Lutherans
The finisher of Calvinist
The conqueror of Portugal
All hail the the grandee of grandees of Spain.The great Duke of Alba

>plants growing in the gutters
Lol, what a shithole.

Did any other empire peak begin the death cycle so quickly?
>unstoppable juggernaut threatening Christendom's very existence
>get rekt at Vienna
>immediatly enter an era of constant decline and decadence
>get btfo by Russia
>btfo by Austria
>btfo by France
>btfo by the US and Britain
>btfo by fucking Italy of all people
>reach such a sorry state that you can't even defeat a bunch of sheep farmer Balkanshits with pitchforks
Pretty sad, desu

I'm from Tenerife actually. I don't forgive what they did to my ancestors.

JUST.

Your ancestors were the ones comquering the island sudaca. Jeez it is so easy to spot sudacas that is not even funny

>Be Golden Horde
>Shit all over steppes
>Shit all over Eastern Europe
>Shit all over Central Asia
>Shit all over China
>Implode after Khan of Khanz is dies
>No legacy whatsoever after other countries take over former Mongolian territories.

They did a good job of leaving their genes everywhere though.

>The colonial elites were spanish born spaniards. Everyone else was below them and the criollos.

Lmao the Casta system barely worked. It was theoretical at best while de facto, the people born in the damn place were the real power brokers.

You try being a new-as-fuck European born cunt newly migrated to the colonies. See if you can go up against local power brokers whose ancestors were with the first conquistadors or native elites who allied with the conquistadors after the conquest and held vast tracts of land. See where screeching "IM BORN IN SPAIN" gets you. At best you'll be just considered a nice groom/bride for some creole family. At worst you'll be seen as an interloper.

mongols. oh and black death too. rumor has it that the citizens of Baghdad to this day are about as butthurt by the Mongol's sack of the city as the English are over the danelaw and Norman conquests

thats what I meant by shit.

tell me when br was greater, in any sense, than when this guy was in charge.

protip: you can't

you drop the ball when ppl, specially poor people, are left out. they need to feel a part of it, be it through ideology, discipline or happiness.

rome didn't fall when there was pane et circensis, but when the pleb became miserable (more of a sign than a cause, i know).

>The poor didn't cry when rome burned.

It's a big mistake, in an empire's twilight, to try to remake what made it great in the first place. no one became great by cutting back welfare.

Really, those nations mentioned here are the ones that managed to keep up the ball despite a shit ton of issues.