Accounting

I'm thinking about going into accounting Veeky Forums.

Is it possible to move up to a high paying (150k+ ) within a few years of entering the field, or should I look somewhere else if I want to climb the ladder to a high paying job?

It's a shitcoin

But DGB instead

Go to Canada and become a plumber

Lot's of it is getting automated. Not many entry level jobs. Half of what is out there is shitty AR/AP gigs where you're going to be making 30k a year with no upward mobility as a glorified secretary, still takes a 4 year degree cause of how fucked the job market is for new grads.

If you get good grades and stay very involved in campus activities and network a lot, you should be able to land in a major CPA firm out of college. You will make 40-55k starting but it will be very high stress work and during busy seasons you can expect to work 80 hour weeks with no paid overtime. After about 15-20 years of this with relatively no raises if you suck enough dick you might make partner and can pull in 300k+, but you will be working 80 hours a week at a minimum year round.

got my accounting degree, 4 years of hell, then worked at a large firm for 1 year of extra hell, accounting is for fags. But, it's a good degree, I learned some shit and know some shit about business to use IRL, way better to major in accounting vs. some bs like marketing. Accountants have a pretty shit life for 10 years at least until you are designated and then established and then finally are able to open a practice and take on clients of your own
summary: go into sales like me and make 150k within a few years for sure

300k a year for 80 hours work a week high stress?

That really doesnt sound worth it, even at that high pay. Is there any benefit at all?

The benefit of accounting is it's better than getting a business management degree. An accounting degree will pretty much qualify you to apply to any type of business related position, and give you a leg up on other applicants. For example you'd probably beat out marketing, finance, business management majors in their respective fields of employment, because an accountant is well versed in all of those areas and the degree holds a lot more weight than the other fields. Any stoner can pass a marketing curriculum, but you have to be pretty dedicated and intelligent to get through an accounting degree.

Still, you won't get rich. Probably the best option would be to stick it out in three years of hell at a CPA firm, pass the CPA exam, and then get a job as controller of a small company making 60-80k, but its also high stress long hours.

I fell for the accounting meme and did not persue a CPA. I fucked up in college and didn't network. It took me almost two years to land a shitty entry level job making $30k. It took me another two years to move up to $40k. My job is pretty easy and I can dick around with crypto and shit posting at work. I have been putting off getting my CPA since the stress levels do not seem worth the extra $30k per year.

My dad was an accountant for the city in the early 90s and got framed and threatened into a shitty security job because he refused to take part in an embezzlement scheme. Pretty much ruined evetyone in my family's life up until this very day.

Fuck accounting

Get ccnp

So, the general consensus is that it's a poor field in terms of earning potential/stress/hours.

>150k

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHHA
AHAHHHHHHHHHH

I'm about to get a 40k job with no experience. I dicked around for an entire year after graduation, though. There were 50k jobs that wanted literally 10 years experience. Certain specialties can net good money, but they're also hard to get into. ceiling is more like 70k, maybe 90k if you're really top dog.

CPA a shit. Public is shit. SHIT. Only bother if you want to start your own practice, and in the days of efile that's retarded. I don't want to study like a maniac for 8 months and pay 2k just to take a fucking test. I've had enough school.

I'm fine with accounting because I'm fine with 50k annual. I can live comfy on 20k a year. Anyone else, nah. Go to engineering or something if you want money. Accounting is coasting through life without trying for anything.

Unironically my biggest fear. The accountant is the fall guy. You make 50k a year piss money and if the CEO decided to dick the company for a few mil, you get brought down with him despite getting no benefit and not having had any power or knowledge of it. Real shitty. But hey, you could get hit by a car tomorrow.

Get a general IT degree and get a fuckton of certs. Everything in future will be automated so go into a field that will be relevant for the future

Sounds like accounting is shit. Are there any business degrees worthwhile nowadays?

No. You won't make 150k within a few years of becoming an accountant, even if you join one of the of the big 5 right off the bat.

more likely to have your job automated or outsourced than make 6figures

I guess an mba, but only from an elite school.

Nice meme

Actual CPA here. I make $100k as a controller ten years into my career and work zero overtime. During that time the longest i was without work was one month. Real world accounting is far too messy to automate away and automation in general is an overblown millenial meme.

Had an accounting buddy in college, his dad was some bank VP who supposedly made "well over $3 million/year" and he did have a big house on a lake with a ski boat.

He told me his dad told him accounting was the "life hack" to be guaranteed rich. He said accounting was flat out superior to finance because you can do anything a finance major can AND you can do accounting. He'd just get close to a 4.0 and he was guaranteed to get hired by goldman sacs or jp morgan, which paid $80k starting in NYC. Which wasn't that mind blowing except he said the if you "only" got a annual bonus as much as your salary that was a hint you weren't doing well. He said most first year associates bought porches which their first bonuses, and most made over $1m/year after 3 years. He would joke about how his future weekday bar tabs after working 14 hr days would be more than the average person's salary.

He did get a 4.0, and after graduation did get a job at an investment banking firm in NYC. He worked there for a year then got shipped off to some satellite office, that was last time I was in touch with him. Then on linked in I saw he was at some no name place, looked like a local bank or something. Looking at his profile pic he looked like he had some major city miles on him, had that "just fuck my shit up" look to him.

CPA, partner in a regional firm. 220k. 10 years in. It's a good gig. We give kids right out of school 60k. It's not that hard. But you do work a lot of hours.