Maps Round 2

Old thread is at image limit so let's have a new one.

Other urls found in this thread:

flickr.com/photos/ciagov/albums
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I would set up a postal system in ancient Rome, with ancient Roman technology

I'm thinking

>stamps require mass printing, so you just pay at the counter so that the guy puts your letter in the box
>every major city has a postal office that knows peoples addresses well enough to deliver letters, and contains a storefront where people drop off letters and pay for postage
>post offices have simple to-and-from courier services connecting to a provincial sorting center
>provincial sorting centers have simple to-and-from mail routes to the three or four nearest capitals
>a piece of mail from, say, Britannia to Alexandria would be forwarded east from provincial center to provincial center
>each provincial center would have a set list of all the other provincial centers, and which route to put mail on for every given region, (eg. the letter from Britain to Alexandria automatically gets placed on the Rome to Dacia wagon route)
>postage is determined by the number of hops
>auditors compare the number of letters being mailed and the number of coins showing up, to make sure nobody is getting free mail, stealing from the till, or losing people's letters
>optional pigeon service to be introduced eventually for VIPs and government mail

Does anyone else have this form of autism?

Just a neat map of languages in Europe.

Belarusian language is a meme. 99% speak Russian

>Occitan
Revive it frogs, better it then arabic.

>Does anyone else have this form of autism?
I used to. Then it went away. I miss it.

OC donut steel

Woah. You telling me people tend to live in higher density in cities?

it's still nice to see where exactly in a graphic representation. And I made it for a thread where such maps for other countries were being posted

Ignore the cunt, its nice OC mate

Nice

The map goes very in-depth in some areas but then leaves others out. If all those dead French languages are shown, as well as Torlak and West Polesian, there's no reason to leave out Kajkavian and Chakavian, as well as expand on the Italian languages.

Depending on urbanisation in an individual country, the map could look a lot different, you know.

The CIA just declassified a bunch of old maps to celebrate the 75th anniversary of their Cartography Division.

flickr.com/photos/ciagov/albums

>visiting a CIA website

Enjoy your spyware. Viewing their site counts as "making contact" and allows them to monitor everything you do from then on.

>Austria
But that's Yugoslavia.

Also what the fuck is up with the German-Danish border?

All of the Balkans is Austrian senpai. Except dalmatia. That's Italian

>western cordillera
>it's in the east

100 BC

Like they don't monitor everything we do anyway consideting we're on here.

I just love these maps where you see all those various tribes.
Lately, I've been reading up on the Ancient Greek and Roman concepts of the world (the first theories on a round world, the various concepts of continents and their antipods) and it's really interesting how one can connect tribes from different civilisations' writings. One example would be the way the predecessors of the Huns were mentioned by Chinese sources when they still ruled over the Mongols and then throughout the decades/centuries, their name starts getting mentioned further to the west. But the one that really interests me is the mention of the so-called tribe of Androphagi - the "man-eaters" from the north. As a matter of fact, this mythological peoples that were known to Herodotus in the 5th century BC are the actual people - their name was brought into Greek from Scythian. Their modern name - the Mordvin; an actual group of Finno-Ugric people living in Russia to this day.

This sort of connections is what history is all about.

>splitting High German into """German""" (Central German), """Bavarian""" (East Upper German) and """Alemannic""" (West Upper German)
Whew

we originated in America we weren't immigrants

Why isn't New Orleans a more major port. Wouldn't the Mississippi River make it very desirable?

Germans themselves make these distinctions.

Haha okay John Beartooth

>France is undersea now
haha

how do i mak a tinfoil hat

>scots in Donegal
>implying scots is even a language

>torlak
>language
Kajkavian is more of a separate language than Torlak dialect

>kvens
>real
their literally just a meme people mentioned once in some viking tale.
so no evidence that they ever existed,
and now there is like 20 finns and samis that sudenly has decided to larp as kvens

t. non-german

They should both be on the map, possibly Chakavian too.

these funny sounding words make me kek

That's neat as fuck.

that's some pretty fucking remarkable convergent evolution then

it's not 1860 anymore

Lol extremadurian isn't even a dialect, just a slight modification of asturian. I don't think more than 2 or 3 people speak that. Cool map anyways

No, we don't. Linguistically speaking, the varieties of Dutch and German make up a dialect continuum. All separations are more or less arbitrary, because everyone can understand people in a 20 km radius, but not on the other end of the continuum. There are, however, a few distinctions you can easily make:
>Low Franconian (Dutch dialects)
>Low German (including Lower Saxon)
>High German
High German can be further divided into
>Central German
>Upper German
Low and Central German are divided into West and East groups respectively. Upper German, on the other hand, is divided into
>North (Franconian)
>West (Swabian and Alemannic)
>East (Bavarian and Austrian)
There is no linguistic basis for lumping Franconian and Bavarian together.
Neither is there a reason for not splitting Low and Central German into their East and West varieties on the map, because those splits reach at least as far back as the splits of Upper German varieties.

What's wrong, did everyone run out of maps?

Bosnia is a fucking Meme, should have been split up between Serbia and Croatia.

Were the Germans expelled into the Soviet Union sent to work colonies?

Rivers are less important now due to highways and railroads.

Houston is a more populous and important region than New Orleans, so most shipping traffic on the Gulf Coast goes through there now.

I didn't think I'd see a map in Slovene. Usually I'm the one posting those (even though I told myself many times I'd translate them).

Are we posting transport maps now?
This one shows the tramway network of Hannover at its largest extent. Large parts of it ran over the countryside and the overhead wires supplied villages with electricity. Most of the lines in outer boroughs and the countryside are gone now, and they were moved underground in the city center.

that's what's up bruh