What is the significance of Veeky Forums as an intellectual/political movement...

what is the significance of Veeky Forums as an intellectual/political movement? what do you think about "hiding your power level"? should Veeky Forums be completely integrated into the public world?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Realistically, how you plan to integrate spaghetti dropping artists in out society?

>Veeky Forums
>intellectual movement
>political movement

Sweetie I like this site better than Facebook. I think I will explore it some. I left you your chicken tenders on the counter.

Veeky Forums only serves as platform for political ideas to springboard into the public concise; and most of the time that only happens for the "lulz."

Liked it better when it was muh secret club tbqh

me too, but if we truly believe in the values of free expression the website is based on should we not bring the taboo elements of Veeky Forums culture to light and stop fearing the status quo?

>Veeky Forums
>intellectual movement
>political movement
LOL, if you're talking about the 2016 US Presidential Election, Trump support on /pol/ was something that started as a joke and only gained momentum because of the massive amounts of butthurt Donald Trump was causing as he kept winning.

Do you think /pol/ would shift to anti-Trump to cause more butt pain in the future?

i'm not. Veeky Forums is a serious sociological phenomenon that is/will become the birthplace for many future intellectual movements. it's at the heart of today's internet culture. we originate the memes, the memes control social media, social media controls the masses. don't underestimate the importance of Veeky Forums.

t. assblasted redditor still in denial

IT WAS HER TURN

No current events.
>B-but humanities
No fucking current events you dumbass

/pol/'s too steadfast in their love of facism and Hitler.
If anything they'll go even further to the right to piss the normies off.

>d-d-dont criticize my clown candidate!

What about ancient Veeky Forums? I remember that site being good at 1845 BC.

i'm not talking current events. look beyond the past year of /pol/. Veeky Forums has been a major intellectual institution for the past decade.

Still current you stupid motherfucker. 25 year rule.

Fuck off newfag the Hittites ruined Veeky Forums
>tfw you will never experience /new/ during the bronze age collapse again

Whoa Veeky Forums is history

You're not wrong but if you treat this as serious business you lose sight and control of that power

As the other user said, anything that comes of here is for the lulz. So has been and shall remain.

That doesn't mean its effect wasn't significant. I personally a handful of people that are diehard Trump fans, and it's obvious they picked it up from this site because all they ever say about him are memes. For fucks sake, Pepe memes became part of discourse in the mainstream media about Trump. Stuff here might start as a joke, but autists are always going to take it seriously; this place has a lot more influence than most here realize.

>Veeky Forums has been a major intellectual institution for the past decade.

sweetie /pol/ was overwhelmingly pro Trump since day 1, revise history all you want to push some epic le troll narrative but your reddit is showing and showing hard, you obviously have no idea what /pol/ was like prior to 2015 or its precursor board /new/

Name one more influential person. The only intellectual that comes close is Dawkins who literally invented memes.

>/new/ was so right-wing m00t was forced to remove in entirely

Even /new/'s precursor board was deleted in late 2008 for being too right wing

lerm lad, the opinions of kids arent taken serisouly because of their nature, read up on Dunning-Kruger and realise no ones opinion is worth shit until at least the mid twenties, before that point people are generally only correct about something by accident because they simply dont have the knowledge to make an informed decision. people here think they are important becuse they tell each other that, when shit from here gets in the media its not because its important but because the lowest common denominator news sells the most adverts.

You're confusing 'tastelessly & belligerently racist' for 'right wing'.
Moot wouldn't care if /new/ was a board full of traditionalists talking about René Guénon, but it wasn't.

>Implying I was referring to neocon rightwing

>You're confusing 'tastelessly & belligerently racist' for 'right wing'.
>Moot wouldn't care if /new/ was a board full of traditionalists talking about René Guénon, but it wasn't.

Who said you were? I mentioned "Traditionalists" which is how many /pol/locks like to flatter themselves, but it's more accurate to describe them as reactionary. The heart of /pol/ isn't 'right wing'. It's simply the antithesis of the mainstream thesis.

>but if we truly believe in the values of free expression the website is based on

But that's wrong you retard, the only thing this site is based on is anime and japanese culture.

>You're confusing 'tastelessly & belligerently racist'
>caring about racism on a site traditionally rife with gore, cp, hentai and shots
Please leave redditor you are out of your element

You want to take that up with moot, he's the one who deleted the board over it.

>caring about racism on a site traditionally rife with gore, cp, hentai and shots

You just literally proved his point. In what world would denizens of such a site be considered traditionalist right wingers?

Why is racism supposed to be singled out now?

Fuck off moralfags and take the Donald with you

Fucking nigger I hope you fall into a vat of boiling fried chicken oil

Fascism admires the ubermenschen

not him, I was talking more about early internet movements like chanology or the birth of memes as we know them.
In a few years historians will be studying Veeky Forums and getting interviews with m00t and trying to decipher the mad world of the pre-web 2.0 world.

Like it or not Veeky Forums has left a mark on the history of the internet.

it has already happen.

>further to the right
The only thing further right than /pol/ is Israel

no it hasn't.

I know you guys will say me to go back to /pol/, but I've to post this.

of course. Now Veeky Forums is filled with a bunch of midwestern "people" who think that ebin infographs are evidence.

The ribbit trend starts in March.

This not about ribbat thread on Veeky Forums, but in ribbet itself.

You were never here when it was a secret club. You're post-chanology newfag trash that thinks 4chanz is free speech lul

No, it's become the most reddit board on Veeky Forums. Just imagine a lefty city saying "WE LOVE ISIS" as a virtue signaling meme and then a bunch of ISIS immigrating and taking over a city. Sure some peaceful* Muslims (tm) in ME hate them and chased them out. But they're still sandnigs, even if they not the same as other sandnigs. That's /pol/.

>intellectual/political movement
>/pol/ macros and reddit/his/ memes

/pol/ loves Israel now because Trump

bs

that's silly.

Peter Sloterdijk
Rogers Brubaker
Eva Illouz
Helmut Schmitt
Ramachandra Guha
Chantal Mouffe

>implying you are not retarded

Veeky Forums is the bridge between normies and the more obscure chans and imageboards. This is the reason Veeky Forums had a reputation of churning out all the memes. They dont necessarily originate here, but its where everyone comes together to shitpost.

The anonymity combined with this makes it impossible to stop new ideas from poking their way into the normie Internet using Veeky Forums as a springboard, because fringe opinions cant be downvoted to oblivion and therefore at least some people will be exposed to the ideas,for better or worse.

normally I wouldn't believe him but with the horde of redditors that infest /pol/ now, it wouldn't be too surprising.
>Ramachandra Guha
makers of modern india is a damn good book.

Uhm well suddenly there are good Jews like the ones in Trumps team and the ones fighting Daesh.

>makers of modern india is a damn good book.
Yeah, maybe I will check that out. I just know him from public speakings and such.

I read about him because most indian "nationalists" call him a secular psuedomuslim who wants to genocide hindus

Are you serious? You've must have been on Veeky Forums something like 5 years or less if you unironically think that. Definitely less than 10 years.

Yeah I know he is controversial but my initial comment just claimed he was influential which he undoubtedly is.

>/pol/ is not one person
right, but when you want to generalize you stick with the most influential posters. trump israel lovers are made fun every day and they mostly can only hang in their general

yeah, he is.

>Veeky Forums
>movement
Its time for you to move on to reddit.

>what is the significance of Veeky Forums as an intellectual/political movement?
Giving severely autistic people an outlet. Which is not as good as its sounds, as it allows autists an alternative to socialization, the opportunity to isolate themselves among similar people, which just serves to make them even less capable of functioning in society.
>should Veeky Forums be completely integrated into the public world?
Jesus, no. Keep that shit contained here.

Good argument. I see you directly refuted my statement instead of defaulting straight to "you've been here less than x time." Why dont you point me to some correct info since you've clearly been here so long?

This site has been absolute trash for a year, and slowly declining for 5 years before that.

And the cause is the same as with great empires. A demographic change, bringing the biggest idiots on the Internet here. Also somewhat corrupt leadership. Veeky Forums is not unique in this. Everything millennials have touched since the Twin Towers fell has gone to shit.

Just yesterday I posted some real culture, I checked again right now and just as I expected, there were no responses.

Even other chans have mostly been ruined.

Undoubtedly, some fool will respond to this with some of the insipid, unoriginal cliches - not memes, but cliches - that are all over the place, such as >t. Besides its astounding lameness, >t. signifies an accusation while never giving a substantial response to anything that was said. That is not quality posting, but mods will eexcuse it, calling it "banter", because they themselves are new or ignorant too.

The truth of the meaning of "Veeky Forums" is that it's a SIMULACRUM of new ideas, not the origin nor creator of new ideas themselves. It provides the userbase the appearance, the enjoyment of partaking in giving birth to new creations when such ideas has already been done a long time ago. It is the nihilistic conformity of perversion, without active purpose whatsoever.

>Just yesterday I posted some real culture
Get a load of this neckbeard. Veeky Forums is in it's golden age. The only thing I truly miss is Scooby, well and when /x/ was spooky

>So has been and shall remain
This has been false for like the past 3 years

You type like you're "definitely less than 10 years" old.

Fuck you

Not even him but this is the lamest insult ive ever seen lol

What is /pols/ end game?

Veeky Forums isn't a movement, the value of anonymity is in fact the opposite, to break up groups and normy clique bullshit.

Veeky Forums proved a community can adapt to trolls on its own without overbearing mods who may have their own agendas, it provided an interesting environment to discuss controversial issues. However when 99% of people have the same opinion and use the same thought stopping cliches to avoid debate it overwhelms the "immune system", it becomes little better than a reddit circlejerk.

In a way it is our fault. For whatever reason it is much more fun to BTFO the far-left than the far-right, so we fedora wearing freethinkers neglected to BTFO the far-right as well. We let it get out of hand.

We should have embraced a purer form of disdain for irrationality, perhaps that of Max Stirner.

>Veeky Forums has been a major intellectual institution for the past decade.
Irony really did die in 2016 huh

I said that Veeky Forums has that reputation, not that it is. I even said that content doesnt necessarily originate here, it just seems like it to normies. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though, i made that post early as fuck this morning so i may have skewed my meanings a bit.

I agree with the rest of your post tho.

It's really sad that you responded to him using cliches probably without realising that yourself.

Veeky Forums does discuss things society wouldn't without being an insular echo chamber. These discussions never get very cerebral but since no one else is doing it Veeky Forums ends up at the forefront.

/pol/ is (probably fruitlessly) trying to make sense of the world, and how it is leaving the past behind quicker than ever. I cant say i blame them, im in my twenties and i already feel like a middle aged man who cannot identify with the youth. If i had to agree with /pol/ on anything itd be the degeneracy meme.

> without being an insular echo chamber
Yeah... Like these why africa is poor because of holocaust never happened threads.

It sounds cliched but the left tends to adhere to moral ideals, and people tend to scorn moral ideals because it requires abiding by rules that are not in one's supposed self-interest and requires acknowledging that people are subject to a higher authority, usually politicians and ideologues who cannot live up to these ideals because politics is very much the opposite of morality.

In general, our age is contemptuous of ideals and morals because they've been branded as "childish," "unrealistic," "against freedom of action." Even ideas of unifying or universal values that promote social harmony and progress are under assault. This is, of course, the fault of the so-called "leftist" parties of today, which espouse identity politics or, that is to say, the politics of particularism or interest groups that aren't united by values but the near-tribal and mystical ideas that one's gender or race somehow imbues one with distinctive moral and mental qualities that groups without these biological characteristics lack. This is not leftism; implicit in all of this is the establishment of new gender and racial hierarchies. In my opinion, it is not enough to simply achieve parity between men and women in jobs or wages (assuming these exist) and to have percentages of blacks or hispanics in jobs equal to their percentage of the population. Like all revolutions or movements to upend old hierarchies, what starts as reasonable grievances achieves some initial successes but, when frustrated further (as the complex nature of politics and society can never completely accomodate the total demands of one constituent or another, as government resources are always limited) becomes increasingly dogmatic and resentful. What was once a means of ensuring equality is also the very means by which abuses are committed. Ethnic or gender tensions blur the distinction between equality and crass lobbying for the interest of one's in-group. (cont.)

An echo chamber does inadvertently form, shielded by memes and catchphrases.This sort of shielding was already formed even before Veeky Forums got waaay too political, with /b/ shitting on newfags and enforcing board culture themselves in a social shaming manner free from mod intervention (moot spoke about this before).

But back to the main point, Veeky Forums isn't a 'major intellectual institution' for the sole reason of nobody including itself takes Veeky Forums seriously.

Once one underprivileged group gets a foot in the door through such privileges as affirmative action or yielding to "diversity committees," "sexual assault committees" and other such organs to ensure the end of racial abuse, these very unaccountable organs unsurprisingly take more and more power for themselves. New cultural norms that were meant to ensure equality, such as addressing women and men without the older distinctions or assumptions in speech, avoiding gawking or catcalling against women and other thing I myself find noble, eventually become means to enforce a strict moral code, akin to Christianity, that forces men (imo, this might sound autistic to some) to have to constantly analyze their actions for fear that increasing strictures on language and conduct are perceived as inappropriate, and therefore, risks social alienation and even damaged career prospects. I think, too, that it also becomes a way to discriminate against social pariahs and nonconformists of any kind who do not have the social acuity, or perhaps the desire, to understand these rules. This new morality favors the underprivileged groups and what's more it is abused by them to forward their own personal (career, social, economic) goals while at the same time morally validating any kind of action that forwards the interest of one's identity group.

anyway lost my train of thought, blog over

I should also say the identity politics doesn't hold the sole blame. They're the symptom of I believe neoliberalism and a way of avoiding questioning the economic self-interest that serves as the basis of our economy AND society. A society that prizes self interest above all scorns privileging any moral system over another, but sees nothing wrong with privileging a social group in the name of easing the barriers to that group's self-interest. The focus on identity is a spook and at the end of the day is substanceless for most people except those professional, upper middle classes and rich (the top 10%) who can stroke their vanity fighting for "noble" causes of an oppressed group (which is automatically moral on the basis of its underdog status) because it doesn't force them to concede any of their economic dominance.

>muh millenials
kys old man. don't you need to fucking your lardass wife and feed your kids hamburgers right now?

>people tend to scorn moral ideals
People on Veeky Forums. Also it is more large movements in the normy world that naturally claim to be moral.

Identity politics seems to boil down to 3 things.

The fact we are individuals versus the need for government and society to stratify people into giant blobs. For example men are statistically more likely to crash so insurance companies have to stratify but this is unfair to men who drive well.

Utilitarian versus deontological ethics. At certain extremes like when someone is drowning you are obligated to throw a lifesaver. At other extremes like having to obey some AI that makes you act for the "greater good" it becomes a dystopia.

Corruption. People with irrational beliefs exploited by politician who pervert whatever cause they have taken up which, though a good cause, doesn't mean they are doing what is right in practice.

We could be discussing these things. We could be BTFOing the left. Instead we get /pol/ being just as irrational, we end up with this.

youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

That is because /pol/ is leaking, which is another issue.

Nobody takes Veeky Forums seriously, but Veeky Forums is like a slither of scum floating atop the cesspool of the internet and anonymity in general and people take the internet seriously.

Are American satirists so aware of how dumb average American is that they even have to label literally everything?

How much of value would be lost again if Veeky Forums kicked the bucket?

a lot because it would release 1000s of us into the world

>implying you wouldn't creep into another crevice immediately

This post is completely indecipherable.

I think most of them just want a white ethnostate

Veeky Forums isn't taken seriously because people need to be taken accountable in reality in order to have any sort credibility on the public (((opinion))). Anonymity would be able to say something about public opinion only if it weren't muddled by n layers of irony and trolling.

In a world where twitter became the official transcript for a majority of political and journalistic records Veeky Forums fires pretty low on that scale.

>Veeky Forums
>Free speech
Yeah, no. Ten years ago maybe, sure, but not for ages. I've been permabanned for posting excerpts from studies finding that incidence of CSA (child sexual abuse) has practically no predictive power for determining the likelihood of negative outcomes in adults, and that the concept is better explained in terms of physical and emotional abuse, with the understanding that nonabusive childhood sexual encounters can and do occur. Literally not even an endorsement of pedophilia, just a suggestion that we should rethink how we talk about CSA.

I've also been banned (from this board) for posting a chart of the relative prevalence of consanguinity in various parts of the world, and suggesting that due to the fact that India and the Islamic world aren't plagued by catastrophically high rates of birth defects, there's probably nothing biologically wrong with cousin or sibling incest, and that our Western version of the incest taboo is almost certainly a social artefact. I did note that as the mother-son incest taboo is observed in all primates including bonobos, who will typically fuck literally anything, it presumably predates humanity and there may well be something there.

Basically, if you have the gall to endorse non-SJW-approved "degeneracy," anything you type will be deleted. We'll see how long this post lasts.

reported, sweetie
;)

It was bound to happen my friend. Veeky Forums, at it's core, has always been contrarian. Popular culture and academia, the environments that most posters in Veeky Forums are subject to, are by and large left-wing. Therefore it follows that in lashing out at the environment of an user's daily life, Veeky Forums would turn more and more right-wing.
It also helps that right-wing ideologies are labeled as 'extreme' and 'hateful' by the media so they provoke a much more visceral response in normies thus attracting trolls who in turn attract genuine right-wingers creating a feedback loop.

Veeky Forums is just a very contrarian website, so its ability to break the conditioning of rl society is built into it

>trying to make sense of the world
If anything /pol/ does everything in it's power to make politics an entirely ridiculous affair

pretty much this. Veeky Forums is just a place to make pepes and spread them now.

Is Ben Garrison the biggest retard out there? Trump fucking over Polar Bears is not a victory, it's autistic.

>Islamic world aren't plagued by catastrophically high rates of birth defects.

I hope for your sake you're being ironic.