Which American state was the most historically important?

Which American state was the most historically important?

Ohio

New York. Runner up is Virginia.

Ohio desu

Ohio for 1850's onward, Virginia overall

*brainwashes the entire world*

Ohio seems like a meme answer but it truly is.

honestly Massachusetts got some mad points in very early, which is when it counts.

Why?
Pennsylvania in terms of US history, Florida in terms of colonial history

>A fuckton of Astronauts come from Ohio
>Rust Belt state
>Swing state in politics
And that's just off the top of my head, I don't even know that much about Ohio's history

correct

the Ohio River Valley was kind of a thing that French and Indian War. But it wasn't a state back then so I don't even count it.

Had literally the most diverse groups of Indians that United into a strong confederation that was the building blocks of the US constitution, bill of right and the Articles of Confederation.
Fought over by the French, Indians, British and American colonists for beaver furs and trade.
I'm not sure about this but I think they tried to be a slave state as well but the USA made them a free state since they where above the Mason Dixon line, admitting Tennessee as a slave state instead.
>The first two are true, the third I'm 75% sure

The Iroquois Confederation was centered in NY tho.

Nah it stretched into New York but it was started and based in Ohio.

Actually, scratch that, you where right, it's in New York

California.

The California missions, gold rush, Mexican-American War, and the Chicano movement.

>chicano movement
>important
Pick one

They never tried to be a slave state. They were given the option and never became one. Also Ohio's been kind of a bellweather for national politics for a long time. It's produced a lot of famous politicians and Presidents (the only state with more is New York if you go by primary residence and that's only because Trump won; they were tied for a long time). It was also very, very active in the abolitionist movement and Underground Railroad as well as being an industrial powerhouse until the last few decades; arguably the only state more important/influential during the 19th century (especially post-Civil War) was New York... both of which were also Republican strongholds during the long era of Republican domination.

Virginia. Because they chimped out and started the Civil War.

Virgina > Pennsylvania > California > New York

This, california is the greatest state in america

Samefag but for the hell of it, here's all of the presidents and where they were from post-Civil War/during the era of Republican domination.

>Lincoln - Illinois
>Johnson - Tennessee
>Grant - Illinois
>Hayes - Ohio
>Garfield - Ohio
>Arthur - New York
>Cleveland - New York
>Harrison - Indiana
>Cleveland - New York
>McKinley - Ohio
>Teddy Roosevelt - New York
>Taft - Ohio
>Wilson - New Jersey
>Harding - Ohio
>Coolidge - Massachusetts
>Hoover - California

New York, Empire State, the world's capitol. Stock Market, Wall Street, Ellis Island. World Trade Center

Massachusetts handsdown its a no brainier any other answer and u dont know history

mi amigo

I don't think California is as historically important as many east coast states are

But yes it is very prominent in the present day and is interesting for its majority native population

Really the only.answer is Virginia it completely dominated the early american state in a manner that no state has since.

>capitol

No idea which is more "important", but the ones that come off the top of my head are Ohio, New York, and Virginia. Florida became somewhat important due to it extending our influence into the Caribbean.