It's a common leftist talking point that walls in history have never worked. Is this true?

It's a common leftist talking point that walls in history have never worked. Is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/28/upshot/what-history-teaches-us-about-walls.html
google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2015/08/27/us/walls-along-borders-nothing-new/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Leftists build Berlin wall
>Some ML leftists support this
>Anarchists don't and want it torn down

In some cases one could argue that walls work, but they don't often last, either that or they're infiltrated.

"The best gardens have fences", I suppose.
While wildflowers grow in the wilderness, they lack the cultivation received in the garden ensuring a harder, shorter life.. However, should the kindly old lady die, who is to say the garden would be appreciated by her successors?

the great wall worked until they opened it to let foreigners in

No, walls are extremely effective defences against pre-gunpowder armies

Yet Ghengis and his sons fucked half of Europe

They barely made it to the Carpathians. Hardly half of Europe.

Danube to the urals is probably more than half of europe. I think you mean the part of europe that "matters" which betrays westerb eurocentrism

>Common leftist
Lol fuckoff. Can't tell how many times LE WHITE POWER people thought the Chinese stupid for building the great wall, and now those people think it works to fit your meme narrative.

Theodosian Walls anyone?

On a related note if it wasn't for fortified castles like Krak de Chevaliers, the Holy Land would of been reconquered by the Muslims long before.

China, they literally did half of China dummy.

>had the most defensible position in the world
>had the most educated populace in the world
>had the most professional army in the world
>had the strongest defenses in the world
>lose because you forgot to lock the fucking gate
The Byzantine empire was a mistake.

>Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.

It'll work but you'll lose eventually.

>Assuming that one part of Europe is harder to conquer than another part of Europe is Eurocentrism

More like (((They))) left the door open

The Rus were ill defended from the East, they mostly focused on the North-South approaches. Kyiv didn't even have walls when the Mongols first showed up.

The Byzantine empire fell in 1204 desu

>leftist
Because it's obviously one united ideology

Not enough Jew noses and nigger lips.

When did they say that? Walls work and even the fences on the american borders yield insane results...for the area where they're placed of course, people might just go somewhere else.

Not even remotely. Modern walls work too, like the ones ISRAEL has. I wonder why those leftists never complain about those

The sneaky seajews, right?

Leftist parties complain about israel all the fucking time, what the fuck are you on about? Seriously, why do you retards even come to Veeky Forums, all you do is quote every single OP and say something about jews. That's all your contribution to "history".

t. Vladimir

you're welcome

>Common leftist talking point that walls in history have never worked

I have never heard this as reason to oppose the wall and I doubt you have. The wall is dumb because it's a massive waste of money that doesn't actually fix the problem people say it'll fix. It's a meme solution.

But yes, walls have worked before.

If they haven't worked, they would have not been built.

>I have never heard this as reason to oppose the wall and I doubt you have.

>being this sheltered

Maybe if you spend most of your time arguing with shitposters on /pol/ you hear it, but I don't have that experience. I'm white, so I don't go on /pol/.

mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/28/upshot/what-history-teaches-us-about-walls.html

google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2015/08/27/us/walls-along-borders-nothing-new/index.html

That was really easy.

>first article talks about times walls got fucked up by "rank amateurs"

Wow, it's fucking nothing.

>Second says border walls don't usually work

There is a difference between border walls and city walls, user. One covers a vast area and requires more men to guard than the other. "Op claimed said that Leftists claim that "walls don't work", not "border walls don't work".

>for the area where they're placed of course
Exactly. So we should make the whole border that area.

Flawless logic

Border walls is implicit considering OP's pic.

There are six countries currently spending billions of dollars to maintain extensive border walls. Hungary, Macedonia, Turkey, Tunisia, Israel, and Saudi Arabia. You should send them the memo that border walls don't work.

Short term they do well, the long term is highly dependent on domestic and political dynamics though.

You should check out the relationship between Gibraltar and Spain for instance.

I'm with the liberals on this one but for different reasons

walls mark the end of expansion and we should never squander chauvinistic spirit

They only work as defensive fortification, as in only if you're willing to kill and maim people to secure it constantly.

I hope Phokas/Phocas is burning in hell

this the Roman empire peaked with Tiberius then Hadrian started building his walls and limes

Look at all those countries that have vastly different governments, environments, cultures etc than America

Really gets the noggin joggin