How the fuck could they go battle with such clothes?

How the fuck could they go battle with such clothes?

On a summer day, walking in the countryside with that coat, which I'm sure is not like a modern jacket

It's fucking awful, didn't they get a heat stroke or whatever?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/science/2012/aug/19/most-improbable-scientific-research-abrahams
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

battle in those times was about formality and aesthetics rather than actual functionality and tactics

Imagine wearing this during summer.

I was watching a historical movie once with English cops in the full bobby outfits like searching a rural area looking for a missing woman or a body or something on a hot summer day. I had the same question and dad suggested that they were obliged to wear the same outfit year-round and that all told, it's better to be too hot in the summer than to be too cold in the winter. It seemed to make sense but we were concerned with a fictional narrative of course.

I do get what you're saying about heat stroke but IIRC it only really gets dangerous around 95F, which is just below human body temp. This, because it's around this point that the human body loses its ability to shed excess heat into the ambient enviroment (it's got no place to go, the two are already close to equilibrium). My suggestion being that if it's in the 80s (F) or colder, it'll suck but it won't be dangerous for most younger guys. And this Summer Suck is preferable to losing one's digits in the winter.

I've been wondering this for a while: did they not have a "summer" uniform and a "winter" uniform? That just seems weird to a modern man like me.

Yeah, but that clothing can be easily justified by stopping contemporary weapons. Wool doesn't do anything against firearms.

Did people actually wore this under their clothes in summer?

You have to remember that doing laundry back then was expensive and labor-intensive, so they had to do everything to preserver the outer-wear.

They did get heatstroke but it wasn't that common in Europe at least. They probably all got cooked when they invaded India.

>it's better to be too hot in the summer than to be too cold in the winter.

Might be true in England, but I'm sure crusaders in the middle east (although the protection would justify it), colonial troopers in Australia and South Africa might have disagreed.

>not having shorts as part of your uniform like based Aussies or Rhodesians

The average equipment the soldier of today is carrying around weighs more.

You have to remember that this was before global warming. The entire planet was much colder back then.

A light woolen fabric isn't that bad in hot weather.

Besides you gotta remember that was also the clothing they wore from May till October where the temperature could still plummet and heavy rains were common.

Yesterday it was 13 degrees celcius here with a metric fuckton of rain falling out of the sky.

Hospitallers wore black.

In a fucking desert.

I ain't taking them rhodesian short shorts into the african bush.

because they recognized early that SWAG and AESTHETICS was more important than practical considerations when it comes to building an empire and a reputation

Chainmail actually helps with cooling, being easily ventilated of course.

shorts are like split skirts

theguardian.com/science/2012/aug/19/most-improbable-scientific-research-abrahams

>mite be true in England

This is actually a very good and useful observation. There is this old idea that Europe and esp. England experienced a "mini ice-age" from about the late Renaissance up till the 19thC:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

Which would partially explain the predilection to wear heavier stuff year-round. I also vaguely remember it being suggested at least once, somewhere, that this is exactly why the Brits were obsessed with heat, studying heat/themodynamics, steam engine, IR etc. This is probably reaching a fair bit, but there's probably something to it as well.

Unironically had my neurons firing.

>A Venetian who has long lived in Pegu, and has lately returned thence,
writes that the men and women of that kingdom, though they cover all
their other parts, go always barefoot and ride so too; and Plato very
earnestly advises for the health of the whole body, to give the head and
the feet no other clothing than what nature has bestowed. He whom the
Poles have elected for their king,—[Stephen Bathory]—since ours came
thence, who is, indeed, one of the greatest princes of this age, never
wears any gloves, and in winter or whatever weather can come, never wears
other cap abroad than that he wears at home. Whereas I cannot endure to
go unbuttoned or untied; my neighbouring labourers would think themselves
in chains, if they were so braced. Varro is of opinion, that when it was
ordained we should be bare in the presence of the gods and before the
magistrate, it was so ordered rather upon the score of health, and to
inure us to the injuries of weather, than upon the account of reverence;
and since we are now talking of cold, and Frenchmen used to wear variety
of colours (not I myself, for I seldom wear other than black or white, in
imitation of my father), let us add another story out of Le Capitaine
Martin du Bellay, who affirms, that in the march to Luxembourg he saw so
great frost, that the munition-wine was cut with hatchets and wedges, and
delivered out to the soldiers by weight, and that they carried it away in
baskets

not really
do you think they all marched in huge columns and lines to be aesthetic? muskets could only reliably hit from a hundred meters give or take.

The uniforms performed a functional and tactical purpose.

They allowed people far away to see who you were easily. Friendly fire and issuing commands to distant regiments was more important than being formal and aesthetic.

it was gentlemens war something the uncouth wouldnt understand

Only if it's not directly exposed to source of heat, hence the clothing worn on top of it. Black is still very unhelpful.

>On a summer day, walking in the countryside with that coat, which I'm sure is not like a modern jacket
It's not always summer in Europe. I bet those are nice in the spring.

Besides, don't civvies wear the same meme shirts, waistcoats, and coats and tricorne hats?

>mfw Filipino
>mfw Spain's soldiers also wore this shit here, which is in the tropics.
>During the hot season it can spike to high 30s C.
Yeah fuck that.

Imagine wearing this on a summer day in South Carolina with 35ºc and 120 humidity.

Climate change, it was much colder back then. Even summer would feel more like spring.

I've done reenactments and it's fucking brutal. I'm in the North so I can't even imagine the south.

Hey Lindy!

Like hell it does.
First time i made and wore chainmaille to a reenactment, i didn't wear anything underneath it. The heat from my body, and the sunlight made it nuclear hot by the end of the day. Tabard did nothing to stop it.

Bait

Not at all

I know right? Why didn't they just go full commando like the Greeks?

You know they wore wool uniforms up into the Second World War, right? Yes, soldiers often got heatstroke with them

Was the renaissance-early modern era the best time period to live in?

For mercenary companies and religious demagogues ruthlessly enforcing their own status quos, maybe

Is that graph by percentage?

How many battles or marches actually happened on hot days?

>2000 years is a long time

Where were you reenacting? Keep in mind the desert is dry.

>high 30s

Nigga try 40 - Atlanta.

That's because you're not a man..

SE QLD. But in winter, so it was quite a dry heat. But aye, not exactly the Levant.

Se qld is not hot during winter senpai what are you smoking

They did had winter clothing, tho AFAIK it was even thicker.

Then again the whole world was colder back then.

Nigger you crazy. It was like 30 degrees.

absolutely not, in europe at least

Living museum interpreter here.

>How the fuck could they go battle with such clothes?

Quite easily.

>On a summer day, walking in the countryside

If its hot, you'd be in summer fatigues/uniform. Summer weight wool for summer uniform, and canvas frock-shirts for summer fatigue duty.

>It's fucking awful, didn't they get a heat stroke or whatever?

About the same as the locals. I live and work in 18thC uniform in the middle of VA. Summer uniform for the heat, and basic common sense goes a long way. Pic related

The had summer uniforms

I wear my 15thC plate in summer. You acclimate.

>I was watching a historical movie once with English cops in the full bobby outfits like searching a rural area looking for a missing woman or a body or something on a hot summer day. I had the same question and dad suggested that they were obliged to wear the same outfit year-round and that all told, it's better to be too hot in the summer than to be too cold in the winter. It seemed to make sense but we were concerned with a fictional narrative of course.

That sounds retarded and false.

>did they not have a "summer" uniform and a "winter" uniform?

Yes, see above.

>Wool doesn't do anything against firearms.

Wool doesn't burn when showered with hot ashes and sparks from your flintlock.

>Did people actually wore this under their clothes in summer?

No. Imagine linen or cotton boxer shorts.

Thats why small clothes and under garments were typically white. You have multiple sets and wash them regularly in a bleaching agent. Outer clothes are less regularly laundered.

Hush you.

Where the hell did you get that nonsense? Also: You're forgetting the quilted layer of gambeson underneath.

Correct. It also contributed to the psychology of the day: The uniformity and indoctrination of a unit will build esprit de corps that help the men hold discipline on the field.

It doesn't look as impressive when a fat middle aged man wears it.

Eh, I know. But people with background and knowledge in the field of military science tend to be held together with ibuprofen and VA medical bennies.

I swear, the 6 pack of 8 years ago is still there, its just under the keg.

People weren't as fat back then.

>I swear, the 6 pack of 8 years ago is still there, its just under the keg.
Kek

Whatever they show in movies, I believe they took those jiveass coats off and maybe hung them from a belt or something in the summer. Heatstroke is a real thing. Nobody wants his troops collapsing.

Those are a*ssies

So instead of a lion ripping your nut sack off it's a snake

But how are you supposed to put the fear of God into Citizen Jacques without your red coat?

Didn't armies back then generally just sit somewhere defensible in the winter and only engage in limited skirmishes? I know that's what the Americans did at Valley Forge.

Imagine that you are marching in 90 degree heat in july and a quick rain storm comes and gets all your wool uniform soaked.

WHO DECIDES WHEN IT WAS IT WAS THE TIME OF THE YEAR TO USE SUMMER UNIFORMS? WHAT HAPPENED IF THEY HAD A PARTICULARLY COLD DAY WHEN THEY WERE WEARING SUMMER UNIFORMS OR A PARTICULARLY WARM DAY WHEN THEY WERE WEARING WINTER UNIFORMS?????

What's that nigga with a bow doing there?

>-0.8 temperature anomaly will affect war clothing

At least it's somewhat protective against sand

I don't think urban heat was as big of a thing back then.

The "Spanish Army" In the Philippines was really just a couple of regiments of regulars. The mass of the army was made up of the so-called "Cuadrilleros" (Auxiliaries) who were basically native Flip warriors with their own native gear, which may or may not include a musket, and some scraps of uniform to show that they are subjects of the Spanish king.

Its a funny combination- 18th century infantry fighting alongside a cunt with a bow, spear, sword, and shield, but they proven themselves effective Skirmishers during the British Invasion of the Philippines. When the regular army was destroyed in the capture of Manila, they Brits marched north to attack the provisional government Spanish loyalists formed there, which was ably defended by the cuadrilleros.

That archer cunt represents one of the many archer units Spanish colonial authorities integrated into the regular army. So you had weird scenarios- such as this one during the Basi Revolt in the 18th Century- where line companies of archer fight alongside musketeers.

A bit rude desu senpai
I thought you looked the part m8. Your expression is like "yeah im a limey geezer innit, wot are you yankee gits gonna do bout it? Buncha tossers!"

And your nowhere near the levels of overweight I associate with the average american.

>WHO DECIDES WHEN IT WAS IT WAS THE TIME OF THE YEAR TO USE SUMMER UNIFORMS?

Your regimental officers.

>WHAT HAPPENED IF THEY HAD A PARTICULARLY COLD DAY WHEN THEY WERE WEARING SUMMER UNIFORMS

If you're in summer kit, it would be freakish to get temps that require heavy uniform. That said: Blankets.

>PARTICULARLY WARM DAY WHEN THEY WERE WEARING WINTER UNIFORMS?????

Coats off, fatigues on. Simple.

Pretty much.

And the Brits had native American skirmishers, highlander regulars with broadswords (and irregulars with targes as well), and Indian Seppoy with tulwars and shields.

>I thought you looked the part m8.
Thanks

>geezer
...Im 28... Granted the unit I lead is all around 18-23.

>And your nowhere near the levels of overweight I associate with the average american

Thanks! Been slowly getting back in shape (or at least a shape that is not round)

>YFW you will never be a veteran of the King'd army, suppressing the unruly colonial scum.
Why live?

Well in Atlanta it was briefly!

:(.

Most of them probably didn't have proper uniforms, if certain sources are to be believed.

>120 humidity
nigger what

nice fucking meme

Varied by unit, but general rule of thumb is that regular army typically had enough clothes per issue. Militia, which were rather disorganized and piecemeal, was much harder to properly outfit.

When you know you have a regiment of 500 Soldiers, you order 500 blankets. When you have between 100 to 800 (mood depending) untrained militia rabble, you can't quite get the money and materials in order.

user means 120% humidity. Its known as super saturation, and its the reason that the term "air like soup" exists. Welcome to the south.

they're literally red because it was the cheapest dye they could afford

they wore full armor during the battle

though no leggings, those are for barbarians

I always just figured that when they were actually on campaign they would loosen up or take what they needed, maybe unbutton the coat or drop it completely. If it's a particularly bad campaign, they'd probably get some unintentional ventilation when their uniform begins to tear and rot.

Other than that, I imagine they'd look prim and proper for parades or duty back at home or in a non hostile area,

I think you're giving too little credit human endurance.
I'm a construction laborer, and I remember a day last summer that sounds like it would've killed someone. We were clearing this bridge of all the concrete with jackhammers the last few days, and the bridge ran over a small stream. All the concrete chips just fell to the grass, so one day we spent about 4 hours cleaning them up before we poured new concrete. That day happened to be about 103 degrees. So we spent 4 hours carrying buckets full of concrete uphill while wearing boots, work pants, and a hard hat. Sure, not the most ridiculous exertion you can think of, but I remember being shocked at how easy it seemed at the time. After a few minutes of it, it just kinda blended in as just some more work. And this is just a few dudes in average shape, not professional soldiers who likely train a ton.

No, Lindy larps as an English knight fighting the French.

>Its not hot until the officers tell you its hot.
Some things never change.