Testifying under oath

>testifying under oath
Is this the most useless measure to ensure somebody tells the truth in court?

No

if even 20% of the population fears got still then I guess its worth it

Most people understand that if you lie under oath it's a serious criminal offense. That's the end of it, it's pure ritual.

Not even very many Ameriburgers genuinely fear going to hell if they fib after swearing on the local court's Gideon's Bible.

Lying under oath is perjury which is a very serious crime. Whether the person actually believes in the Bible that they're swearing on is kind of irrelevant.

You don't have to swear on a bible.

The fuck else are you going to do, hook them up to lie detectors?

You wouldn't believe the crap people think will make them seem innocent

Yes, why not?

Perjury is pretty serious business, man.

Because lie detector tests are notoriously inaccurate

You can beat lie detectors by clenching your anus.

same goes for prostate exams #lifehacks #yourdoctorwillneverlookyouintheeyeagain

It's not supposed to make sure you tell the truth, that's just a side benefit. It's so that lying has a legal repercussion if it's later found that you did lie.

only for The Dishonest Atheist

I thought that just so they can throw the person in the slammer if they find out later that they lied.

No Christian person would lie after having sworn a oath under God with his hands on the Bible. But it only worked while the society was homogeneous and the people shared the same values. Then diversity and cultural Marxism came along and it was the end of that.

Wrong.

Are you retarded? The point is that if they get caught lying it's a criminal charge of its own.

Am i supposed to read that in Donald trumps voice? Or is that just how you thought it?

What the fuck is up with Florida?

Probably my family..

>fell for the florida man meme

crazy shit happens in every state, florida just has lenient laws regarding what gets out to the public which affects how it's viewed by the public desu

t. floridafag

Go ahead and invent one then.

even the inventor of the lie detector said it was little more than a toy