Why do liberals pretend Africa's modern borders derive from European colonial holdings...

Why do liberals pretend Africa's modern borders derive from European colonial holdings? I hate to break it to everyone but Africa's modern boundaries don't actually sync up to Europe's colonial borders. The most egregious example is French West Africa which balkanized into many states.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juba_Conference_(1947)
libertarianism.org/media/liberty-chronicles/liberal-marxist-theories-history
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's not like French West Africa had internal borders or anything.

Every nation has internal borders. I could split Germany into 14 states but it wouldn't really be "Germany" would it?

No, then it would be the Roman Empire.

Eh? Are you retarded? Every nation sans those French controlled very closely follow their European borders. The French do as well, albeit there are further divisions within their three main colonial administrations in Africa.

they have been independent for long enough that various wars changed those borders
you are intentionally ignoring all the borders that line up with colonial borders
by the way why does it have to be liberals? is this, dare I say, another /pol/ thread in disguise?

hardly in disguise. but I'm impressed that they made a "why do liberals" thread that actually is history or (actual) humanities

>Every nation sans those French controlled very closely follow their European borders.

Too bad for you the french controlled almost half the continent. Besides that, Egypt was administrated with Sudan, Somalia and Somaliland unified, Eritrea became united with Ethiopia for a long time, Morocco took over the Spanish controlled North and attempted to take over the Spanish controlled South.

It's not a /pol/ thread. Liberal historical theory is real and often purports this.

it's accurate historical theory. I don't deny the existence of revisionism, but here it isn't the case.
the borders of former french colonies were drawn by the french. Is this really so hard for you tho understand?

>. Is this really so hard for you tho understand?
I have my doubts Africans had no input.

So what are you actually arguing for? If you are making a strong claim like "colonial powers had little or nothing to do with modern African borders" that is nonsensical because they played a significant role in making new borders before the various civil wars broke out. If you are making a weaker claim like "it is questionable how much former colonial powers determined modern borders" then the opening post (if you are the OP) is hyperbolic and largely nonsensical. No historian I know of argues that modern borders perfectly sync up with former colonial maps especially after all that has happened. Yeah you could argue that in some cases it is questionable how much influence former colonists had over new borders. Nobody has made such an argument in this thread yet.

Better than their borders before the Scramble for Africa

This really isn't true especially in terms of British colonisation. If you read about our colonisation theory, we intentionally made unstable multi ethnic nations to cause instability. Look up Sudan if you need an example

>If you read about our colonisation theory, we intentionally made unstable multi ethnic nations to cause instability.
That's wrong. Even the smallest nation states have ethnic instability. Borders form when one group consolidates power over another group. Sudanese Arabs were raiding Blacks since forever and it was Egypt which first conquered Sudan, not the British.

I don't see the point you're trying to make
If I split up Germany into 14 states, then they wouldn't be Germany, but you would have drawn the lines for the new states.
Similarly, nobody claims that the former French West African states are West Africa, they are states which compose the region which formerly was French West Africa.
Within those regions they match what the old sub-level territorial borders were.
In its own way French West Africa isn't really gone either, since it still has a unified monetary zone at the least, probably trade zone too although I haven't looked that up.

Yes, and then the British took over the whole area and continued the age old tradition. I'm not saying that there wasn't already existing inequality - it's just that the currently existing dynamic of oppressed/oppressors in the continent suited European powers nicely so they didn't make efforts to correct it. The continual arming of rebels and pretenders throughout the conquest supports this

>In its own way French West Africa isn't really gone either
A lot of people in former French African territories still speak french and some former colonies maintained close ties with France after they gained independence.

Are you retarded?

>so they didn't make efforts to correct it.
That's very different from "deliberately drawing up borders to create ethnic strife" which isn't even logical. You'd want borders to be as peaceful as possible so you wouldn't have insurgency or mass chaos to control. You can't change human nature.

Nice strawman

Because they gave south Sudan to Sudan instead of future Uganda despite protests from south Sudanese colonial authorities and employees.

>we intentionally made unstable multi ethnic nations to cause instability.
What's so bad about multi ethnic nations? Take a look at Britian, it's multi ethnic as fuck and doing fine :^)

LOL
Post of the year

The dismemberment of the Benin Empire, the Ashanti Empire, the Oyo Empire and the Kingdom of Nri, were the worst thing to happen to Africa long term.

These cultures and empires had they been left untouched would have created a true African hochkultur. The south-west Africans which were the more spiritual of the sub-saharans along with the Ethiopians, were tragically cut sut short during the summer of their civilization by Islam and Western Europe.

It really is a tragedy, I hope these cultures one day unite and find again their roots.

underrated.

Is there any logical reason why you would fucking say that post is underrated? Has anybody expressed any kind of dissatisfaction or criticism at all against it? Are you delusional? Are you reading replies that are nonexistant? Maybe you come from communities with voting systems, but there is literally no way that you could know what other people think of that post you just replied to here. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe it's your own post you're replying to, like a 12 year old fucktard liking his own facebook posts thinking his swelling autism is going unnoticed. Maybe your self esteem depends on you tricking yourself into thinking someone out there thinks your post is worth something. Or maybe you are just a retard, the worst kind of retard, the one who thinks he's smart, the one who thinks he's the only one to have gotten the joke, to have understood the post. Well, guess what, faggot, that post is by no definition underrated so why don't you do the world a favor and go check out what the bottom of your toilet smells like

decent pasta

I'm sure north Sudan had something to do with it. Not all U.K's fault

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juba_Conference_(1947)

Read it and figuratively weep.

>Liberal historical theory is real
Stopshitpositngfriend

libertarianism.org/media/liberty-chronicles/liberal-marxist-theories-history

WE

This. People completely forget that Europe's culture and society changed and developed alongside it's technology as it progressed. They shaped each other over time. sub Saharan Africa never had that benefit.

>People completely forget that Europe's culture and society changed and developed alongside it's technology as it progressed.
It certainly wasn't a pretty process.

True, but it was more than can be said for a lot of Africa.

Don't people say that about the middle east more than Africa?

Shut the fuck up.

France's independence movements are varied and complicated. For example the Five Communes of Senegal werre full fledged citizens at various times with representative power, they were actually given the option to have land up until Morocco but were worried about being neighbors with Morocco and thus the Bidan were given control.

Now this is ignoring that people always migrated back and forth, we have Berber speakers in Senegal to this day. Borders were not hard and fast and citizenship was never enforced in the truest sense of the word. That has an effect later on with the ability to extract resources with globalized economies enfranchising Power groups who were able to have some evoulé in their ranks.

This also is ignoring the issues of French colonialism giving power to the "whites and reds" in the Sahara such as Tuareg, Arabs, Fulani and certain population of Soninke that created lots of tension (French kicking off peasants from Oasis to give to Tuareg) causing strife.

This also ignores say the intense droughts that pushed people from what is now southern Algeria to places like Northern Nigeria.

Borders and land were not fix, there was no power in land, it was the people who had power. Europeans enforced notions of land fixedness

>libertarianism.org

Oh, I'm sure it's an accurate sauce.

You're a fucking idiot, you know that, OP?

>Zodical Light
Opinion disregarded.

>tripfagging on an anonymous image board

Kek

God as soon as someone mentions /pol/ the thread goes to shit, doesn't matter if /pol/ was here or not...the reactionaries and the trolls will come.
Yep, those straight lines definitely look like natural ethnic borders totally bereft of European colonial influe- OP you've been playing too much civilization 4

>natural ethnic borders
A literal meme found nowhere in history. Even the tiniest nation states had to forge an identity though the assimilation of others.

If this was a strictly anonymous imageboard there wouldn't be a name field.

>ad hominem

>liberals
I think you mean the left. True liberals don't think about Africa at all.

Underrated pasta

kek

How can being multi ethnic make a place unstable? Diversity is our strength.