What tips do you have for someone trying to sell his artwork on Etsy?

What tips do you have for someone trying to sell his artwork on Etsy?

How do I effectively market it?
What should I sell in order to satisfy a specific market?

My shop is here: etsy.com/shop/SamsArtStore if you wanna peruse it and tell me what I'm doing well or not doing well.

thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Hirst
businessinsider.com/why-damien-hirst-is-controversial-2013-6
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>art
>paintings

its over for you, toss them in the trash to save yourself a suicide later

do what this guy did but online.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Hirst

What exactly did he do, and how do I do it online? I guess I have to figure that out on my own. Brb doing research on Hirst's rise to fame.

Thanks for the advice, mate. I appreciate it.

np, just
be sure to come back and share your newfound wisdom with us.
i don't do this for "'''free'""" ya know?

What did he do? I'm in the same boat as OP, don't want to read an entire wiki article.

If you figure out what he meant, let me know. I'm wondering how to sell my art/market it as well.

>want success
>dont want to work for it

good luck sweetie

I don't think I'll figure out just by reading this article. There were many factors that went into his success.
I think one was his highly provocative work. One of his first works that made it big was literally a severed cow's was being eaten by maggotts.

But I'm not looking for that.
I just wanna sell my little $10 postcard paintings to have some spare spending money on the side

> not wanting to read an entire wiki article and decipher what some random Veeky Forums fag on Veeky Forums meant by "did"

yes, clearly that means I don't want to work. I did skim the article. Do you mean that he has people make the art for him, and is running an art business/brand instead of being an actual artist?

sell something other than postcards, like something bigger you can put on a wall, also they are £8 which is ridiculous for a tiny postcard.
Also in this age of degeneracy gay art sells really well.
add more tags, like gift/decoration/art whatever
write some description about the items
copy other profiles for ideas
try selling on other markets, ebay and amazon.
get a better store name

i could tell you the true ,
financially relevant , value creation, ""secret"" to his success , that you seemed to have overlooked in this mans rags to riches success story, but
it won't mean as much to you as if you discovered it yourself, will it?

Here's a start, reduce your shipping cost

In the UK I'd have to spend £17 pounds on a postcard, most of the cost being shipping.

Meanwhile I can send a small letter to bumfuck nowhere in the US for £1.10 here, even less if I get discount stamps

I just used the automated Etsy shipping costs. I'll go in and fix it.

People don't want to spend money on shipping

You've overlooked a minor issue that can cost you a lot of money

could also frame them

businessinsider.com/why-damien-hirst-is-controversial-2013-6

Thanks for the heads up

It's not art until it's sold.

Sorry user you're just a starving NEET.

>don't want to read an entire wiki article.
I realize there's probably a lot of distractions and things taking up your time, but that phrase doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence in your will to succeed.

Don't forget Richard Prince and Jeff Koons. The thing about those guys though is they operated in the old system where it was all about getting friendly with the right dealers, getting shown in the right galleries. It was 80% networking and then when you finally had a show you'd stay up five nights in a row doing the actual art... making sure you picked a theme and style that would appeal to the crowd of that specific gallery.

Actually the best way to get exposure today is to do parodies or take pop-culture figures and interpret them in a ironic or new context.

Remember the minimalist movie poster meme?
Or hipster Disney Princesses.
Putting Star Wars characters in real life or mundane situations seems to always be a hit.

Think of something that you're actually passionate about and paint a series of like 8 of them, spam the fuck out of them online. That's how you can build a "brand" but more importantly drive traffic to your etsy store.

What merch you sell, depends... I could see a lot of rocker girls having your paintings on topebags, but if you could do something like get them printed on clutch purses or handbags then you could make some serious bread!

Also. Do commisions!
You're already doing portraits. Fucking go on airtasker or something and do commisions.

Think about the customer context of your products, post-card sized stuff won't sell because what do I do with it. Put it on my wall with all my polaroid snaps of my friends while drunk underneath a signed crinkled up poster of Josh Holmes or that dude from the Arctic Monkeys?
Nope.

Like I said in the post above, think about merch. Tope bags. Phone cases.
How about jewelry boxes? you open it up; bamn haunting portrait starring up at you!
What about on the back of a portable mirror so if you hold it up it's like the person across from you in the train sees the portrait not your face?

These are dumb ideas, but if you're a creative artist they should be the seeds that lead you to a really marketable product

I'm sold some drawings