Unknown Medal

Roommate got this from his ~90 year old German grandmother, it
looks like a replica and neither of us know anything about medals. Anyone know what this is supposed to be, Veeky Forums?

a greek cross

Any links for reference?

you were lucky to get it, the iron cross in possession of my great grandmother disappeared

I suspect it was taken by the people going over her estate

OP again, bottom looks too short to be a greek cross but still googling around.

How many children did she have? I believe there were metals for having children.

Can we see the back of it?

It looks like something to do with the Order of St John?

Pic related. No text.
Roommate doesn't know. Only lead we have is that Ludendorf from the new Wonder Woman movie (world war 1) wears a super similar medal, in blue.

fucked it up here it is.

I think it's prussian

It reminds me a lot of the medal for the prussian order of the black eagle is all Im saying. Prolly not related that theres not a damn eagle on it but its call I can say, not quite an expert on medals

carnival trash from the 1950s and up

Probably the Pour le Mérite.

Wouldn't be surprised at this point, doesn't really exactly fit anything else. It's lightweight and feels pretty cheap too.

If it's light weight then it's almost certainly not gold or any other valuable metal.

it's an amalfi cross, aka a maltese cross

looks similar to a prussian pour le merite

It could be a reproduction for someone in the family who didn't inherit the real ones, I have copies of my grandfathers through my mothers side because his son got the real ones

How accurate is this?

Definitely nailed it on the pattern.
Sounds like this is the most likely solution. Thanks everyone for your help!

It's certainly what the religion taught, although whether or not anyone believed it or if the people in power were just using it for their own benefit is a different question entirely.

isn't it the ww2 german mothers cross? for bearing children?

It is no Pour le Merite or even the Order of the Black Eagle, it lacks the eagles on the angles and it is black