Why weren't English knights that notorious?

Why weren't English knights that notorious?

U wot m8?

Compared to whom/what?

Because "knights" were generally useless no matter matter the nation. They are only hyped because the renaissance version of Hollywood.

I think they were fairly competent.
English medieval pride was the longbowman though.

The best mounted knights were always French and occasionally Germans. Stay mad, Nigel.

Throughout the High Middle Ages the Knight was the preeminent force on the battlefield

What you trying to say, mush?

Except, of course, for the greatest knight of all time

They were inferior to the French dumbasses

who's that?

William Marshal, the best knight that ever lived.

Not English, but
>tfw you will never go on a quest in the holy land
Only one of many badass exploits this guy had.

wut?

>"drink thy blood, beaumanoir, and thy thirst will be quenched!"

They had great bantz tho

very few english knights rose to greatness...enough to be remembered these days at least..but they were out there. look up william marshall for example.

A crusader's spoils of war?

>They were inferior to the French dumbasses

agreed. french dumbasses were the best warriors

Brits always were shit at land battles.

>Mfw England was the only place where Knights were called "Knights" and not some variation of "cavalryman" or "rider" like in other European countries,

English knights fought on foot which probably influenced it quite a bit.

Weren't bad at defensive ones (Crecy, Agincourt etc), but shit-tier when attacking.

Knight is old-germanic actually.

"Knight" came from the Anglo-Saxon "Cniht," which means "a professional fighting man bound by service to some master" which came from old German "Knecht." Meaning "servant bonded to someone." Which just got militarized over time I guess to refer to sworn warriors of some Germanic Chief.

The continental Germanics just got influenced by Frankish culture so much so everyone started calling Knights as Ritter/Reiter/Riddare or some derivative, which means "horseman." But you still see the term "knecht" used for some soldiers (i.e. LandsKNECHT)

I don't remember, but there was some border lord who allegedly had a scimitar

I doubt it was Frankish culture that made continental Germanics call knights Ritter/Reiter/Riddare but rather the fact that English knights fought on foot so calling them riders would have been stupid.

Swedes still called infantry knekts for a while.

Notorious with who? Why the word "notorious"? Specifically on that, probably because they weren't wanton destroyers like the Mongols?

English knights fought on foot and defeated much larger French armies regularly in the 100 Years War.

>that old, decaying Roman villa

>William Marshal, the best knight that ever lived.

Pierre Terrail

Because there were never many of them, and the British were always boat-people, not horse-people.

>Why weren't English knights that notorious?
They were. Richard III fro example went out like a badass.
>Accounts note that King Richard fought bravely and ably during this manoeuvre, unhorsing Sir John Cheyne, a well-known jousting champion, killing Henry's standard bearer Sir William Brandon and coming within a sword's length of Henry Tudor before being surrounded by Sir William Stanley's men and killed. The Burgundian chronicler Jean Molinet says that a Welshman struck the death-blow with a halberd while Richard's horse was stuck in the marshy ground. It was said that the blows were so violent that the king's helmet was driven into his skull. The contemporary Welsh poet Guto'r Glyn implies a leading Welsh Lancastrian Rhys ap Thomas, or one of his men, killed the king, writing that he "killed the boar, shaved his head" The identification in 2013 of King Richard's body shows that the skeleton had 11 wounds, eight of them to the skull, clearly inflicted in battle and suggesting he had lost his helmet. Professor Guy Rutty, from the University of Leicester, said: "The most likely injuries to have caused the king's death are the two to the inferior aspect of the skull—a large sharp force trauma possibly from a sword or staff weapon, such as a halberd or bill, and a penetrating injury from the tip of an edged weapon." The skull showed that a blade had hacked away part of the rear of the skull. Richard III was the last English king to be killed in battle.

because they were killing frog knights with longbows

Knights, samurai, and other "special" soldiers were mostly bullies and debt collectors.

Hollywood has embellished how chivalrous they were.

That's a cusped falchion, a European sword

William Marshall wasn't English.

You mean Guillaume le Maréchal whose grandfather invaded England together with William the Conqueror?

>William Marshal

He was Guillaume le Maréchal.

I think this is the real reason why english knights are barely talked about ; Because most of them were norman-french, as most of the nobility was, while the commoners were english. As such, it is far more logical for a british man to be proud of the longbowmen or a serjeant than being proud of the knights of old.
Then again most of the archers were welsh, not english.

>You mean Guillaume le Maréchal whose grandfather invaded England together with William the Conqueror?

>Guillaume le Maréchal
>William the Conqueror

>Not Guillaume le Conquérant

Because they respected proper tea rites.

I wanted to be sure these English plebs understand who am I talking about.