Where does American obsession with black people, and radical black politics, come from?

Where does American obsession with black people, and radical black politics, come from?

Demographically, they are less than 13% of the population, that's less than gypsies in countries like Romania and Hungary, or Christians in Egypt and Syria. It's a lot, of course, but not really that much, or that relevant.

But if you look at American popular culture and political discourse, you'd think black people are not only numerically equal to the white population, but an absolute majority that is oppressed by a tiny white dominant minority. If something, be it a sports league of a film cast, is not at least 50% black, then it isn't diverse enough. Not to mention that every political movement must pander to black, and it must receive black support in order to be considered non-racist, and therefore legitimate.

How come such a small minority become so powerful?

youtube.com/watch?v=bO1agIlLlhg

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/04/10/magazine/the-unbearable-whiteness-of-baseball.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because blacks in the urban North/West and South in general make up much more population.

Most people don't live in the US's heartland.

Blacks will literally chimp out and destroy major cities if they don't get their way and white people have been brainwashed into believing that fighting back against them is "racism".

it could also be their "cool" factor: blacks have had a big influence on US culture outside of politics during the 20th century, creating jazz, I think blues, and rap. because they're perceived as cool people generally are interested in what they have to say about everything, including politics. having a disproportionate influence on US culture they also get a disproportionate amount of media attention

cause the west is all brainwashed by the media and schools and you can t even look at a black or jewish person wrong cause thats racist. I mean the fuck black people are so fucking rude but dear lord if you say something back (not everyone of course)

>Demographically, they are less than 13%, that's less than gypsies in countries like Romania and Hungary, or Christians in Egypt and Syria.
Now that's a bullshit statement if I've ever saw one

>How come such a small minority become so powerful?
They're not. Black people have virtually no power in the US aside from, due to the way the election systems are set up, being able to sway certain elections when voting as a bloc. When it comes to economic power, which is probably much more significant, blacks have very little. However, black people do have a profound influence on America's psyche. The mistreatment of black people's ancestors just 150 years ago clashes with Americans' desire to always see themselves as the good guys. Blacks have also contributed greatly to American music and sports, which gives them a lot of visibility. In general, of course, blacks don't blend in appearance-wise nearly as well as groups like Jews or gypsies, or even Asians, do. Blacks really stand out.

This.

Anyone seen that show, its actually pretty good. Gives a good insight into racial politics and identities in college campuses.

OP, are you suggesting that the (((media))) uses the legacy of racism in US to endlessly guilt white people? Why I'm shocked! Who'd ever believe such a ridiculous conspiracy theory!

>legacy
lol

>YPIPO BE ENSLAVIN ME IN DE YEA OF OUWA LAWD 2017 OBAMA WASNT REALLY BLAQQ FUCC AMERIKKKA

*yawn*

They rapping aloud

new left and the 60's. The modern left derived from people who fought vehemently for civil rights

Yes that isn't a straw man or anything. Good job! You bested me. :)

ethnic bigotry is universal in all cultures and has been since the dawn of time so the best any society can do is eliminate overt institutional manifestations of it which the us has. since it seems like pop culture references carry so much weight with #woke crowd, i'd point to that movie "get out" where the representatives of evil racist america are literal racemixers who's great sin is awkwardly trying to be nice (before they start doing horror movie shit of course) the fact that dorky liberals are the avatars of bigotry in 21st century america shows how desperate the racebaiters are for something to rebel against.

It's endemic to all American political discourse since forever. This shit goes back to before the Revolutionary War. Read a little US history like "Slavery and Freedom in Nineteenth-Century America" by Eric Foner.

They are very loud

Geography nigga. It's a big country and the different ethnicities here aren't evenly spread in every corner of the country.

t. educated non racist Southerner

Blacks only have a "cool factor" because (((certain interests))) have been shilling them as entertainment for a hundred years. Probably because Black entertainers work for cheap.

WE

Yes, jews are the reason black people created rock, rap, jazz, blues, etc

I hate to sound like /pol/, but the answer is unironically because of the Jews.

It ain't the Amish, Rastafarians, or Buddhists that go into producing.

The term "rock and roll" was coined by a Jewish DJ in the 50s.

WUZ

Your arguments seem to be that Jews are basically the masterminds behind the music itself, which is legitimately revolutionary. So then is the implication that the Jews are truly the naturally blessed musician-people?

It ain't the Jews who are buying.

>most racists are southerners
>southerners deal with blacks more than any other US geographic group

HMMMMMMMMMM

Or maybe because... whites wanted to consume black-created media? Black entertainers wouldn't have succeeded if there had been no demand. But you /pol/turds never respect capitalism, even though you always accuse leftists of not understanding its advantages.

That's less of a "race" issue and more of an "uneducated and poor" issue.

Lel, ruined him.

Racial tension in the south is lower than in the north, despite their being more racists. See the number of race riots in the north vs the south. Explain that.

>last two big race riots were in St Louis and Baltimore
>St. Louis and Baltimore are now considered north

Shitposting aside,race riots are created by urban decay, and the main factor in triggering urban decay is economic decline and poor municipal government.

Wait. Maryland an Missouri were considered South once? Why not just make the whole US 'the South' at that point.

Maryland wanted to join the CSA, but Lincoln had the entire state assembly and the entire Baltimore City Council preemptively arrested.

They wanted to be hardcore, but Abe wouldn't let them.

St Louis and Baltimore are both worst of both worlds in terms of having both Southern racial issues and northern industrial decay.

both used to be slave states. historically maryland has been part of the south, though missouri was not

Because they do things Americans already thought were cool. Even if you're against black riots and trying to be as much of a merican' nationalist as possible, you're going to take interest in them since they're pretty simmilar to your merican' "dump galons of tea into the harbor" party (which is arguably more analogous to a dildo parade given how silly it sounds). They've been raised to like rebels, so they're all either an angry rebel underdogs or they're angry that they aren't one. I see it like two people in bed fighting over who gets to be tied up.

What's interesting is that most the people interested in it are actually on the other side of the coin. Americans are the villains of every story they write. Underdog Luke Skywalker flies into battle outside the imperial force's deathstar to kaboom it? Well, look at the middle eastern conflict and tell me who looks more like the Luke-Skywalker underdog sneaking around blowing "the man's" shit up, and who looks like the superpower. Not to imply the middle east dindu nuffin or that I think islam is all that grand.

>If something, be it a sports league of a film cast, is not at least 50% black, then it isn't diverse enough.
[[[[citation needed]]]]

high testosterone masculine black men swing far above their weight, they take more risks and are more energetic in their efforts and so make up a large proportion of those stumbling across opportunities in the maelstrom of capitalism, particularly in the fields of entertainment, crime and sports

KANGZ

>jews have had a big influence on US culture outside of politics during the 20th century

fixd

>black people created rock, rap
*whispers "no"*

newsflash the only people who pay for music are 12 year olds and they will buy whatever the media tells them is cool because they are too young to have developed their own tastes

truly causes one to ponder

nytimes.com/2016/04/10/magazine/the-unbearable-whiteness-of-baseball.html

Article calling baseball racist because it isn't overwhelmingly black like football.

>the-unbearable-whiteness-of-baseball

>unbearable whiteness

>bet you think this show is about you
But it's literally called "Dear White People". What other conclusion am I supposed to reach with that title?

The title confuses me.

This poster is apparently unaware that Get Out was a dark comedy movie first and a political statement in the most subsidiary role it could be.

>movie about bm/wf couple whose white in-laws are so obsessed with black people that they literally kill them to steal their bodies

>a political statement in the most subsidiary role it could be

This
Americans are spiritual underdogs

>No

Explain yourself user.

Most baseball players are Dominicans right? Aren't they black, or at least biracial?

>But if you look at American popular culture and political discourse, you'd think black people are not only numerically equal to the white population

Bullshit tell me of this 50% of Movies staring all blacks. Hell tell me of the statistics showing that Blacks make up half the cast of most movies. Fact is they don't. You just don't want to be reminded people different than you exist.
I also love the hypocrisy of complaining about shoehorning different races to sell to those demographics because by that logic any white character is pandering to get ticket sales from whites. It seems the real issue isn't that you don't want pandering, it's that you think only you have the right to be pandered to.
We again see the hypocrisy on display here of people applauding an all white cast because "They made what I wanted to see!" but being outraged when someone else get's advertised towards. If you don't want to see non-white males, then don't see the movie. If you think "Why should I have to make that choice" then where were your protests for others when all they had to see was casts of all white males with maybe a token female/black?

This video was very interesting.
Sounds like people are not willing to exchange ideas with one another.

Pre-1970s, it's because blacks were a seriously disadvantaged group, open racism was frequent, and there were many decades long problems that needed fixing. Violent interracial conflict, from lynchings to race riots, happened occasionally and never left the nation's mind.

Post-1970s, blacks are still a disadvantaged minority, but their lot in life has improved immensely and the remaining problems are institutional, difficult to fix, and progress is slow. As a result of these things, black rights have become kind of boring. So the reason why this slow, boring conflict still dominates the conscious as if it's the biggest problem facing America is because anticommunism and neoliberalism made economic-based leftism unpopular, so the only way for liberals to define themselves as different from conservatives is through social issues, like black rights. People born after Carter's presidency are highly likely to never have participated in a union or strike, and although after the 2008 crash people have begun to reconsider economic leftism, all attempts to bring it to the fore-front of the nation's mind (Occupy Wall Street, Fight for $15, Bernie Sanders) have been shut down. So, it's back to the basic, uncontroversial liberal issues again and again, blacks, women, gays, and now weed.

Good post. I think the root of my distaste for modern "social justice" is that it doesn't feel very authentic. It feels like pop music.

that wasn't the case 50 years ago, or even 20 years ago

To understand that you have to understand the massive power of identity politics and the media in the USA. People who can control the narrative can force an issue. And pitting blacks against whites is easy divide and conquer that goes back over a century.

I don't think or care about blacks, and I'm sure that most Americans are the same way. Negro fatigue, you could say. Likewise, I would say that most Americans wish blacks well and don't have any actual antagonism other than that which blacks project themselves. Blacks also literally have privilege (root meaning "private law") under the law but can't actually do much with it which is why this is tolerated.

That's because you're living in it, talking to my grandmother in the south she thought desegregation was a distraction of real issues and it was celebrities trying to get fame from being loud.

Desegregation succeeded. "Social justice" will not.

That is one hell of a false equivalence, and that's the problem.
Minorities have less to whine about now, much less than in the segregation days, but they try to sensationalize the last shreds of perceived inequality to get handouts.

>give an inch, take a mile

They have nothing to complain about at all. They are a privileged class hostile to their host country.

or you know, it was pointing out that "I'm not racist because X" is generally a flawed statement
>hurr everybody is racist
I'm not saying that
I'm not racist
I don't have any overarching reason, I just think it's wrong, so I don't engage in it
do I sometimes have gut feelings about someone based on how they look? yeah, sometimes, but I don't act on them, and I don't feel too guilty about them either

what the fuck are you on about?
Are you trying to claim the Black population is larger than it is or something?
I dont get what your point is

If you look at the comments, it's clear the writer is in the minority in having that belief.

Not him, but most US cultural centers are large cities, where black people make up a much larger percentage than just 13%

Our culture primarily revolves around these areas so therefore black people are heavily represented

It's not like the 13% of black people are tucked away in some far corner of Alaska and forgotten about

>It's not like the 13% of black people are tucked away in some far corner of Alaska and forgotten about

soon...

One of the tings America has prided itself upon since its inception has been that it is a bastion of freedom. Freedom of religion, "all men are created equal," yada yada yada ... If someone were to call out a difference between what America professes and what it practices, then America would look pretty bad. So that's why you get things like

>Hurr durr we LOVE black people aren't they just awesome and incapable of doing anything wrong (gets robbed)

This is why America is such an easy target for subversion/SJW nonsense. When a founding tenant of your country is that every viewpoint is equally valid, then you can't call retarded things out as retarded anymore.

That's not how black people perceived it.

By far the most common (and effective) theme in anti-American propaganda from the 20th century had to do with racism and the hypocrisy it highlighted in a country that saw itself as fighting for freedom. That had no small effect on our politics.

>10 twitter quotes from black/ambiguous individuals

holy shit really made me think