Why was Ireland so primitive until the Normans came? Why didn't they have castles/better weapons?

Why was Ireland so primitive until the Normans came? Why didn't they have castles/better weapons?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_the_Irish_Saved_Civilization
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They did have castles. The green pins on this map represent Gaelic castle construction while the yellow ones are Norman castles.

What do you mean by "better weapons"? Actually for that matter what do you mean by "primitive"? They didn't have much of an urban tradition and didn't wear armor but apart from that I can't think of much difference in terms of technology.

But where they REALLY castles, or just shitty dirt forts?

They fought with clubs and didn't even wear helmets. this is extremely primitive by any standards.

Well they were made of stone based on the remains we have but we don't know what they looked like. There are later castles built by Gaelic nobles, like Doe Castle here, but they obviously are influenced by Norman architecture.

>They fought with clubs and didn't even wear helmets.
Dude where the fuck did you get this from. That's so hilariously wrong.

Does this look like dirt to you?
>clubs
You're an idiot, the Shillelagh and stick fighting is a very modern idea to get around weapons laws

>They fought with clubs and didn't even wear helmets
You fucking dolt. The Normans themselves said that the Irish mainly fought using axes.

Why are yous even responding to this autist

>Normans

You dopey prick, that was the galloglass, a type of warrior NOT native to Ireland but adopted from the Vikings.

Try actually reading the source material, you'll come across as less stupid and ignorant. Dopey West Brit dipshits.

Wanna cite me these sources then?

>You dopey prick, that was the galloglass, a type of warrior NOT native to Ireland but adopted from the Vikings.
It's from Gerald of Wales mate, the tradition of the Irish fighting with axes predates Gallowglasses by a fair bit.

>Try actually reading the source material
I wrote my BA thesis on Gaelic warfare, I'd hazard that I know a bit more about it than you. What sources are you even on about?

>Normans

You know what the Normans came after? That's right, the Vikings. Dope of a cunt.

>I wrote my BA thesis on Gaelic warfare

What a truly pathetic lie.

>another poorly disguised "Irish are secretly niggers thread"

saged faggot

Well if they had axes after vikings but pre-normans, surely that means that they had tech before the normans then?

Oh look, this thread again.

Beat me to it.

I don't get what you're trying to say. The Irish fought with axes before the Normans came to Ireland, that's all I'm saying. In terms of literature they're described as fighting with swords, spears, axes and javelins, but never with clubs, not until the early modern period. I'm asking where that person got the idea that they fought with clubs with, because it isn't attested in literature, art or archaeology.

They also mentioned that the Irish didn't wear helmets, but helmets are the one article of armor they are consistently described as wearing before the later medieval period.

It's on JSTOR, you can read it if you want. It's not very good but it was quite a while ago.

I wonder if there are actually people dressed like this when browsing this site.

I like the Irish

10/10 would send ships full of food again

Hey, my ottoman buddy. Anglos sure are a thing, huh? Armenians had it coming lad.

user, I'm in university, I can find it on JSTOR and debunk the clubfag if you want.

Not that user but I don't even think you'd need that much effort to debunk it, a cursory glance at Wikipedia or the works of Fergus Cannan would probably do the trick.

Ireland was the most advanced country in Europe in between Romans and Normans
Your incredibly ignorant
"Island of saints and scholars"
Christianity first came to Ireland between the 3rd and 5th Centuries and while much of Europe was plunging into the Dark Ages, Ireland provided a beacon of light.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_the_Irish_Saved_Civilization

WE

WUZ MONKS AND KEKED THE PICTS TO DEATH