Archaeologists in Ethiopia uncover ancient city in Harlaa

bbc.com/news/world-africa-40301959

Interesting stuff

Interesting article. Shame the shitposts buried this thread.

>The team also found jewellery and other artefacts from Madagascar, the Maldives, Yemen and China.

>Harlaa was a "rich, cosmopolitan" centre for jewellery making, Prof Insoll said.

>"Residents of Harlaa were a mixed community of foreigners and local people who traded with others in the Red Sea, Indian Ocean and possibly as far away as the Arabian Gulf," he said.

Bretty cool.

>who traded with others in the Red Sea, Indian Ocean and possibly as far away as the Arabian Gulf,
>as far away as the Arabian sea

So what do they mean when they say indian ocean, just the coast of africa?

They had chinese goods aswell

arabian gulf is another name for the persian gulf i think. i assume there was probably trade with india but it was common iirc for ships to stop in oman on the journey so the merchants of this area wouldnt have had to bother with going the full journey. still i suppose its not "so" impressive, but i think the key word here is that this was an understudied part of ethiopia which nobody thought was so integrated to international trade routes

Yeah. It's rather impressive given that they were rather far inland, they probably didn't expect to find this sort of long-distance contact outside of coastal cities and capitals.

The reach of Indian ocean goods into Africa is generally underestimated. Goods were able to travel far in the Indian ocean world. Easy example of this is the Banana.

It originated in Malaysia but found its way to the interior of Africa sometime between 500 BCE and 500 CE (possibly as far back as 3000 BCE) It was there long enough to be fully incorporated into local culture to the point where is plays a role in origin myths of the Ugandan empire.

Its reasonable to believe that there was more exchange (thinking the only thing that was traded was banana's is kinda silly) but the hard part is tracking it down to something brought from outside or whether it originated within the region, its also hard because some goods will disappear with time, maybe silk made its way to the interior of Africa with the banana, we can't know cause it's not gonna be preserved.

>niggers
>building a city
Kek

I'm not surprised but we've pretty much known this for sometime, it's merely proved beyond a reasonable doubt

Uh kinda, the banana was absorbed into the ritualisms that centered ensete which is very important to all banana growing people's from Kenya South and West.
I mean it's been believed to be there for quite sometime now it's been conclusively recognized to be there

The banana was also included in the the items brought in by the mythical first king who established the empire of Uganda, IIRC he brought a banana, a pig, and some other plant, they all self replicated (it is an origin myth)

Yeah Kintu the founder of the dynasty brought a wife, cow, sheep,banana root, and a sweet potato with him when he settled the region.

WE

Reminder that Ethiopians are Semitic speaking Caucasoids, therefore leaving the number of native Negroid civilisations as zero (0).

WE

>they had an actual civilization, so we're gonna count them as white people
>haha niggers, you never made any civilizations, so you're subhumans by default

>>>>the city of /pol/istan

Not him, but he said Caucasoid, not white.
'Caucasoid' is a racial theory based on skull shape, not skin colour, and includes Arabs, Europeans, Ethiopians, Indians, Persians, etc. It's the reason Arabs are North Africans are considered 'white' (Caucasian) in the USA.
Pretty autistic and out of date racial theory, but not wrong in that context.

THIS.

And daily reminder that when the ancient ethiopians race mixed with the local blacks, their civilization declined...

>Hungary
>Finland
I knew it.

I guess he must be thrilled that millions of Caucasoids are pouring into Europe then.

If that's the case then why does /pol/ refer to them as niggers until they do something good?

>Ethiopian is one ethnicity

Mali, Ghana and Nigerians had cities

>Thread discussing something even remotely positive about Africa
>/pol/ niggers come and shit it up
Pottery.