Anyone familiar with Islam can give me some positive aspects of the religion?

Anyone familiar with Islam can give me some positive aspects of the religion?
Normally when you hear of Islam you hear about the worst of it like how misogynistic and antiquate is, so I was wondering if anyone here can give me some positive elements of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_social_changes_under_Islam
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1: It puts women and progressives in their place.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_social_changes_under_Islam

How many times does the damned thing have to repeat that they banned female infanticide?

Its quite positive towards the poor. It's very much about community. I've been told nightly mosque gatherings during ramadan are fun if you're a muslim.

One time a muslim showed me this video on how islam dealt with slavery. Basically it said if you sinned, you could atone for it by setting a slave free. It was by an imam/muslim speaker so it could be total horseshit, but if its true i suppose its pretty neat.

I'm from a muslim country and muslims are hypocrites at their best.

That's not really rare with any religion to be honest

The good things you can say about Islam are not unique to it and the unique things are not very good.

The same applies to the bad things you can say about Islam

How many religions hate dogs tho

I'm from turkey. There is no positive elements of it of islam.

All religions can be bad. Islam is the the worst
In Islam if you die in Jihad it wipes away all your sins. It is a shameless encouragement to violence.

Why would anyone hate dogs. They are genetically enginereed to be bros.

This is actually true. There's a particularly interesting cultural phenomenon where officials in Muslim armies would, upon victory, demand that their leaders give them a share of the captured army as slaves only to immediately release them literally "for the glory of God."

First of all, they don't hate dogs. They're just considered to be more "unclean" then they are in European/first world countries. Sure there are incidents where people are cruel to dogs, but anybody who's spent time in a poor country knows that people treat their pets like garbage and spank them all the time. However, the views on dogs and cats were pretty much flipped in Christian Europe and the Islamicate world. Christians would regularly torture cats (particularly black ones) and loved dogs. Muslims, on the other hand, LOVED cats, in part because a hadith described the prophet Muhammad as awakening one morning for prayer, only to find his cat, Muezza, sleeping on his coat. In order to not wake up the cat, he cut off the sleeve. This is why you have cities like Istanbul where cats just roam free. Even the Hagia Sophia mosque has its own resident cat.

People are hypocrites. You don't need to live in a religious society to notice that.

Only certain sects consider dogs unclean, and even then, historical accounts speak of how Muslims, unable to hurt the dogs roaming around the city, had to deal with ever-growing packs of dogs.

There's one travelogue that speaks of an anecdote of how one Sultan (Mahmud II, I think) got all the dogs of Istanbul shipped to an island because of all the mischief they caused, but their cries for their home could be heard from all over the city, and the saddened populace pushed the Sultan to bring them back.

>Dog is barking.
>Shut the fuck up!
>Dog is still barking.
>Damn you you little bastard! Shut the fuck up!
>Still barking.
>AAAH! I hate dogs.

It´s simple as that.

Nice meme kiddo
>Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “A man suffered from thirst while he was walking on a journey. When he found a well, he climbed down into it and drank from it. Then he came out and saw a dog lolling its tongue from thirst and licking the ground. The man said: This dog has suffered thirst just as I have suffered from it. He climbed down into the well, filled his shoe with water, and caught it in his mouth as he climbed up. Then he gave the dog a drink. Allah appreciated this deed, so he forgave him.”
>It was said, “O Messenger of Allah, is there a reward for charity even for the animals?” The Prophet said, “In every living being there is a reward for charity.”
Source: Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 5663, Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2244

>I want a non-intelligent being to stop making loud noices.
>I know, I'll start making some loud noices myself. That will certainly demonstrate my wish for quiet.
Yeah, no wonder why the dog keeps barking.

You are right but i didn´t tell the story to the end.

>Still barking
>Fuck this doesn´t work.
>Still barking
>I kick you in the face till you are quiet.
>Kicking noises
>No barking

The end, hope you enjoyed the story.

So why and when did Islam turn to shit? Are the Shiites right? I only see Sunni people acting like literal savages.

It's a morality system from the 7th century with a prohibition against reform.
If you compare it to older morality systems such as literal christianity it actually comes off quite favourable. However, christianity have the huge advantage that it changes with the times and can be adapted to modernity.

No alcohol

And yet Islamic empires were the biggest slave states in history. Really makes ya think, huh?

If anything is a boost for slavery, people would slave someone just for when they fuck up

>christianity have the huge advantage that it changes with the times and can be adapted to modernity.

Are you implying that Islam hasn't changed over time and hasn't adapted to modernity?

>I only see Sunni people acting like literal savages.

That's because there are significantly more Sunnis than Shias, and there are virtually no Shia immigrants in the West. In reality, they are all the same.

Modern semetic religions are toxic. We no longer have fertility god temples with girl (male) temple prostitutes to act as semen vessels for our gods. Ba'al why'd you have to go?

>1438
>wanting to be a shirkfag

It's exceptional at retaining converts. It's easy to speak the words to become converted to Islam, and once you're part of that community it can be very difficult to leave.

Technically yes, allthough what I was trying to say was that it's hypocritical of a muslim to adapt to modernity.

>it's hypocritical of a muslim to adapt to modernity
No more than a christian

You don't have to be a muslim to find them fun.

I was in Iran two weeks ago (during the Ramadan), and on a Friday night (muslim day of rest, like our sundays) me and my colleague went to the local mosque to have a look.

Unlike all the huge swaggy mosques that you typically see in touristy places, this was just a small, cozy big room basically, with rugs covering the floor and people hanging out and shooting the shit.

We were heartily invited in, given food and invited to walk around and check out the various religious trinkets on display.

Super comfy.

>bros before hoes
>heavy emphasis on charity
>showering several times a day (even after sex) is advised along with usage of fragrance [even though for some reason muslims like to smell like shit]
>be nice to animals, particularly cats [one of muhammads best friends was nicknamed "father of cats" because of how many cats he kept]
>literally forces you to diet/fast at least 1 month a year to stay in shape [muslims miss the whole point of ramadan and eat like pigs after breaking the fast]
>the text says be nice to all other abrahamic religions except jews (unless in a state of war which muslims think they always are in)
>promotes adoption, freedom of slaves (also, not treat your slaves like shit), helping the needy, being nice to your neighbors and all the basic stuff

the thing is, that islam is pretty much the nicest religion BUT it also says that if you are attacked you have to attack back in defense and not be a pussy which is used by muslims as an opportunity to claim they are always "defending" against, say, western values which is a threat to them somehow
Islam is alright, but it fails to produce good people so whats the point

>bros before hoes
To the point of women being so segregated from men the men start fucking each other

>heavy emphasis on charity
No more than any other religion.

>showering several times a day (even after sex) is advised
Ritual ablutions are not showers.

>be nice to animals, particularly cats
That one hadith about the woman and the dog aside, dogs being haram has led to them getting a lot of shit in core Muslim territories. Also halal slaughter is shit compared to modern methods.

>literally forces you to diet/fast at least 1 month a year to stay in shape
That's literally not what its about, the average 7th century Arab did not need to worry about getting fat so much that he had to forbid himself from even drinking water during sunlight.
The point of Ramadan is spiritual purification and reinforcement of belief.

>the text says be nice to all other abrahamic religions except jews
There's anti-Jewish hadith, but Jews get the same protection as Christians. And any non-Abrahamic believer literally has to be genocided (thankfully Muslims tend to find ways out of that).

>promotes adoption, freedom of slaves (also, not treat your slaves like shit), helping the needy, being nice to your neighbors and all the basic stuff
Don't know where the fuck you get the freedom of slaves part when the Qur'an explicitly condones slavery. And the rest is literally every religion ever invented.

Islam is notable chiefly for it's resilience. I don't think you could design a better religion in terms of spreadability and survivability over time. The decentralized leadership, the appeal to both scholars and warriors, the endless rituals constantly keeping religion at the forefront of your mind (and outing non-believers). It's literally the perfect meme.

>To the point of women being so segregated from men the men start fucking each other

That happens literally only in Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan

>And any non-Abrahamic believer literally has to be genocided

Source? Non-Abrahamic religious minorities have generally been treated better in Muslim countries than in Christian countries throughout history.

>Don't know where the fuck you get the freedom of slaves

The Quran provides for emancipation of a slave as a means of religious atonement for sins. The idea that slavery should he abolished and that Islam only tolerated slavery due to necessity has to some extent found its way into the mainstream Islamic jurisprudence, and a lot of contemporary Muslim scholars argue that the original intent of the Qur'an, when understood properly, was to abolish slavery altogether. Some Muslim countries, such as Tunisia, have actually abolished slavery earlier than many Western countries.

Most if not all of the Muslims I've known are Shias and they're cool. Mostly because they're so absurdly secularized that you can hardly call them Muslims at all.

My nigga halal food is delicious

There used to be a job where you fuck women for God?!

WHY, LORD! WHY WAS THIS TAKEN FROM US?!

My dog is an annoying piece of shit. He doesn't bark but his whines are very loud and annoying
>Whining
>Shut up, dog they aren't home stop whining at the door they cant hear you
>Still whining
>Shut up
>Still whining
>Spank dog
>Still whining
>Approach dog
>He cringes expecting to get hit
>Don't hit dog, leave
>He starts whining again
>Give up

And before you start talking shit hitting him was necessary because when he was younger he would tear up carpets and floors trying to dig under doors.

That's kind of the point. There are plenty of Sunni's like that too in my experience.
But we are talking about actual practicing muslims here.
Shia's believe that infidels are unclean like dogs and pigs, so for a practicing shia if you touch them you break their cleanliness and they have to remake wudu before praying.

>That happens literally only in Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan

To be honest I just needed something to fill that point out before getting onto the more interesting stuff. There was a good amount of buttfucking in Ottoman Turkey though, pretty much anywhere where women are psychotically segregated you get an increase in homoeroticism. Ancient Greece had it without Islam.

>Source? Non-Abrahamic religious minorities have generally been treated better in Muslim countries than in Christian countries throughout history.

This is basic fucking Islam. People of the Book are alright if they know their place, polytheists have to be converted or killed. As I said most Muslims overlook that part, or find some way to classify even Hindus and Buddhists as People of the Book.

>The idea that slavery should he abolished and that Islam only tolerated slavery due to necessity has to some extent found its way into the mainstream Islamic jurisprudence,

Modern mainstream (i.e., heavily mixed up with generic international liberalism) or medieval mainstream (i.e. much more likely to be textually-based and internally consistent)?

Even if Islam has total emancipation as a long-term goal, the shit ISIS pulled with Yazidi women was still 100% halal. The massacre of men was also pretty halal too.

Halal slaughter doesn't make the meat taste better, retard.

Please point to the the part in the bible that outlaws reformation.
The bible is also "only" divinely inspired while the Quran is the actual word of god. The latter is infallible while the former is open to interpretation and might include mistakes due to human error. The bible also includes the helpful demand to "Render unto Caesar" which allows the christian to submit to earthly (secular) authority.

>ablutions
no that is wudu, i was talking about "ghusl" which is showering

>charity
compulsory annual charity is not found in other religions

>freedom of slaves
it is literally said that one way to perform charity is to buy and free slaves
muhammads rich friends freed more than 30,000 slaves
one of the most influential muslims who started the sermon to prayer was a slave freed by muhammads best friend abu bakr

>non-abrahamic religions
there is a difference between "people of the scripture" and "non-believers" the latter being people who persecuted muslims and caused Muhammad to exile and were the direct enemies of islam

>dogs
yes muslims dislike dogs because they are disgusted by all the saliva involved or something but hurting any animal is prohibited unless its for food

i agree with the halal slaughter thing, thats pretty barbaric

I hate muslims but islam is pretty cool to study

>Modern mainstream (i.e., heavily mixed up with generic international liberalism) or medieval mainstream (i.e. much more likely to be textually-based and internally consistent)?

Modern mainstream

>the shit ISIS pulled with Yazidi women was still 100% halal.

Islam clearly prohibits the mistreatment of both slaves and women, there is a reason why virtually all Muslim scholars condemn the atrocities commited by ISIS against the Yazidis.

>Anyone familiar with Islam can give me some positive aspects of the religion?
Muslims become really good at killing Muslims

>Please point to the the part in the bible that outlaws reformation.

Please point to the part in the Quran that outlaws reformation.

inb4 The Quran prohibits bid'ah

In religious matters, innovation is not the same thing as reformation. In fact, reformation is the exact opposite of innovation, which is why Islam has went through more "reformations" than Christianity.

The hell of Islam is not eternal like that of christianity so your stay is longer if you have more sins and then you get moved to heaven which is fairer i guess since its better than to be stuck there for eternity for breaking some dumb rules

It was more like every woman had to prostitute themselves in a religious ceremony. IIRC correctly it was the Sumerians that had this religious practice. Basically at a certain age the female had to go to the temple where she had to stay untill someone bought her services. When they where done she was free to return to her life. If I'm not mistaken the set price was also kinda high meaning that the uglier girls could be forced to stay for quite some time.

>The hell of Islam is not eternal like that of christianity

I know only one Islamic scholar who held this view: Ibn Taymiyya. Isn't this a heterodox position within Islamic scholarship?

>charity
>compulsory annual charity is not found in other religions
While the tithe isn't compulsory in all Christian religions it is absolutely compulsory in Mormonism, and while Baptists don't always tithe at 10% it is still a significant percentage of their salary

>hitting him was neccesary
Yeah violence is totally the only solution since there is no such thing as obedience courses you can take with your dog.

>the word of God
>just some dumb rules

Okay so I used the incorrect term.
Now please point to the part in the bible that forbids innovation.

Well obviously it worked because he stopped wrecking the floor and has settled for whining incessantly since then.
Also
>Paying for obedience course for a fucking dog
If you had to do that you might as well just not have the pet to begin with
People who treat pets like people are cancer

>ghusl
Conceded.

>freedom of slaves
Partially conceded, but it feels like Britbongs wanking off to how great they were for ending the slave trade, while using the other hand to rape half the world.

>the latter being people who persecuted muslims and caused Muhammad to exile and were the direct enemies of islam

Revisionist BS. If you have intellectual respect for Islam or Islamic civilization, take them at their own word, before they had to compromise their views with that of the civilization which dominated them.

>I hate muslims but islam is pretty cool to study
It is, but it's not this wonderful beautiful religion that the supposed believers just can't live up to.
That would be Buddhism.

[revisionism intensifies]

Yes, be skeptical of all Abrahamic clerics who sound like they're spouting New Age BS, because they probably are.

The practices refracted through human rationality produce Art, music and other cultural pieces both conservative and liberal, it's unfortunate Wahhabism shits the bed with its ultra conservatism in this regard

>[revisionism intensifies]

Not an argument

>obviously it worked
I never said that it wouldn't.

>If you had to do that you might as we
ll just not have the pet to begin with.
If you can't find a solution to your pet's problems without causing it unessecary harm then you shouldn't have one.

>People who treat pets like people are cancer
i.e
>Not beating a sentient being is treating it as people.

You sound like a completely deranged person.

You don´t understand what i originally meant. First i have no dog because i don´t want to feed it and in general be responsible for it. I would not hit a dog that is not attacking me first. My first greentext in this thread was just the answer to the question why people hate dogs, the second greentext was just trolling you, it is not my intention to be cruel to dogs. In my opinion it is good that some people have dogs so they won´t starve to death in the streets or else.

The Babylonian (do maybe Sumerians too) had that practice. In other areas it was a job at the temple, it wasn't the responsibility of every woman. Going by Herodotus, it was any price and if you through a coin on their lap, they'd have to oblige.

>Using a Hadith
Literally fanfiction

Comfy thread

That sounds comfy af, it's sad that muslim countries are often such hell holes nowadays filled with civil war and terrorists. Is Iran a good place to visit? What other countries would you recommend?

Ah okay, I've probably just misremembered it then.

They are sucessfull and persistent in growing and maintaining the faith as it was conceived.

Muslims love their fanfics tho.

Its like an indulgence that you can fuck.

The polygamy seems cool I guess.

Ever read Averroes?
Avicenna?
Ibn Arabi?
Al-Farabi?
Alhazen?
Suhrawardi?
Mulla Sadra?
Gülen?

So what bastardization of Islam do Jihadist use to excuse their shit?

Wahab and Qutb filtered through the Salafi movement and usually the more conservative schools of Fiqh echoing early Kharawij on things like takfir or qualifications for revolt, caliphal infallability (Some would quibble about the Sunni perspective on this but the point remains they think most later Caliphs were shit), hyperemphasis on martyrdom and expansionist jihad.

You could be right, I only heard of it from Herodotus on Babylon. There could have be similar things like you are saying.

I've likely heard it from either Herodotus or the Ancient World-podcast years ago so I'll believe your position before my own as I have a tendency to misremember things.

Seeing as I didn't understand the concept right, I see now why God stopped that.

THANK YOU, LORD! THANK YOU FOR CONTINUING TO LOOK OUT FOR US! THANK YOU, LORD GOD!

If I'm not mistaken, Shia muslims are much more open to reforms than Sunnis who are, by large, much more conservative.

Aren't there some halfway decent laws of war in there? Not that those would be the first (Deutoronomy also has some). And I mean actually in the scripture, regardless of them being upheld by the followers

Generally speaking (Shia have a few sects) they're more prone to listen to an organized religious authority wherein the Sunni world folks are often content to accept the opinions of the nearest religious authority. In theory the Shia would be faster to adopt "reform" IF the Iranian Revolutionary political ideology eroded a bit.

I'm something of a Persia/Iraniboo; Mulla Sadra who I mentioned above was Persian and to my eyes essentially solved Islam save for a few points of sectarian conflict (i.e. he was trying to rectify Twelver Shia with much of Sunni Sufi ideology).

>me irl

This wasn't the temple prostitute thing I was talking about. I'm talking dedicated temple prostitutes who you seed for the fertility gods.

I mean, most contemporary commentators in the west would (rightly?) describe most of the jurisprudence of war to be pretty fucking extreme but compared to constant Pagan Arabic blood feuds, mass sacks, tribal raiding, etc., the Koran was pretty much a quantum leap in terms of having some semblance of honor.

The Constitution of Medina is a good example of this sort of unifying statutory approach to managing a pile of belligerent tribes.

Best of all, said infanticide is not supported by any other source.

There is unironically nothing wrong with Islam's Ultra-Conservative nature. Tolerating Liberal bullshit like Abortion and Homosexuality, is why the West's birth rates are now at the gutter. Women are Biologically inferior to Men. Even great scientists like Charles Darwin have said this. Islam simply refuses to bend over, and appease the Liberal Hedonistic Materialist culture of the West.

Is the pedophilia thing real in Islam or just some recent bastardization like those awful surgeries to women where they cut the labia?

>Being against homosexuality

Women for breeding, men for pleasure. Or how the Muslims do it, boys for pleasure. They usually dedicate Thursday to fucking a boy.

That's the crooked society's fault. Nowhere in Izlam does it recommend pedophilia

Well going by the fact their prophet was a pedophile, that promotes it.

I had a lovely time in Iran, though it gets annoying being the constant center of attention, with cars honking at you, people on motorcycles hollering, all pedestrians you meet going "hello mister" and wanting to take selfies with you.
At least they are not after your money like in most other countries outside Europe.

Haven't visited any other predominantly muslim countries that I can remember, apart from Turkey three times, which I very much disliked.

>Thinking this stops pedophilia

I studied jihadism academically for a few years.
It was progressiveish when it first came around in regards to women's rights in the 600's. But it's mostly totalitarian bullshit now, and the preachers the media usually trumpets on tv as reformist aren't listened to by anyone in the actual Islamic world because its doctrine that the Koran is the literal word of god which doesn't lend itself to a modern interpretation.

It's not a bastardization.
It's very directly rooted in Islamic texts, and they have some of the most intelligent Muslim scholars backing their movement.
It's the moderate muslims who really have no theological basis for their beliefs.

>and they have some of the most intelligent Muslim scholars backing their movement.

Then why there are only two jihadist leaders that have formal education in Islamic theology: Abdullah Azzam and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi?

>Thinking this stops pedophilia
Yeah. It does.

If only they stopped Muhammad

Why is it that a religion based around submission to god usually attracts people who are the opposite of submissive?

Because they'd only be submissive with a god

Muhammad's uncle who raised him was a pagan who didnt harm muhammad
Yet he didnt kill him and didnt force him

Also men are permited to marry non-believers so how would they do that if they have to kill them?

This. The Quran isn't like all the haditha. It's the real, no shit, written by magic word of God. There is no room for interpretation, similar to the 10 commandments which was actually and metaphorically written in stone.

Why do you think "liberal" western Muslims turn into atheists? Because that shit (reforming Islam) doesn't work and they are ridiculed and ostracized by their communities for basically being apostates.

>implying
Learn about Pre wahhabist Indonesian, Bangladeshi, and Turkish interpetations of Islam. The true cause of this cancer are the wahhabis and the Qataris