What historical tragedy brought you to the brink of tears the first time you read about it?

What historical tragedy brought you to the brink of tears the first time you read about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Nek
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

trail of tears

The destruction of Carthage and it's library.

Really though reading about any major library being destroyed as well.

The Holocaust

The crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

Yeah maybe all those books could have taught you the difference between "it's" and "its"

Also if y'all could shoot over a few books to enlighten my pleb self that'd be very appreciated

When hitler died...

The Fall of Constantinople still angers me.

The illegal trial, beating, flogging, humiliation, and crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

>illegal trial
explain

What could have been... sadly the eternal anglo and german had to intervene.

When boxer died in animal farm put a lump in my throat. Reading about the historic parallel just enraged me.

>Pointing out insignificant grammar errors on an anonymous shitposting site

I can't believe that typo got through my editor! I should have him fired.

That never happened

it hurts to think about

The destruction (or rather, betrayal) of the Spanish Republic.

the real sad date is 1204 when the Crusaders sacked Constantinople and forever sealed the fate of their should-be christian brethren

The fall of Constantinople to the muslims

China's cultural revolution

The first time I read about the Fall of Constantinople I was actually pretty indifferent. I thought it was regrettable but nothing special.

I ended up reading a more detailed account recently and it did actually physically bring me to tears by the end of it. It's the quintessential Last Stand narrative, it's got everything: action, betrayal, heroism, and one last ray of hope before everything comes tumbling down.

In a broader historical sense it marked the end of a political entity that had existed for over 2200 years. That's insane to think about.

The Ides of March

>playing Assassin's Creed Revelation
>siding with the Turks
>think the Byzantine loyalists are the bad guys
>don't feel anything about everything being converted to Islamic shit
>now I can't even think about the Fall of Constantinople without getting angry
We could've had a Christian Constantinople if not for the Brits and Frogs stopping the Russians from squashing the roach.

How Patton was about to liberate Prague and then the Soviets got butthurt and ordered him (through Eisenhower) to stand down. Meanwhile the local Czechs were being massacred by the SS. I have no connection to the Czech republic but the senseless slaughter of people literally made me start crying while reading about it.

>first Emperor in Constantinople was Constantine, son of Helena
>eleven centuries later
>last Emperor in Constantinople was Constantine the Eleventh, son of Helena
What did history mean by this

thucydides' account of the athens plague, I think it illustrates mankinds powerlessness in the face of nature quite well

You had one more chance, Europe and you blew it.

We earned Istanbul with blood and lead. If you want it back fight for it.

We're circles of fire not invented yet? Don't know why nobody didn't just circle themselves.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Nek

Reading about the Islamic Conquests makes me sad, all those cultures, all those languages, all those people and ethnicities, gone forever, they're just another faceless entity under some oppressive, dogmatic cult.

I can't do it justice. I'll try though.

1. Arrested in secret at night with no formal charges using a paid informant by the men who would be his judges.
2. Tried in secret at night, in a death penalty case.
3. No credible charges against him, but for one the judges themselves brought.
4. Held without witnesses for the defense, again, at night and in secret.
5. Illegally convened court on the eve of a sabbath and two festivals for a death penalty case.
6. Death penalty case tried in shorter than 1 day, where law provides at least 2.
7. Judgment was made on Jesus' forced testimony that He is God (which was actually true). The judges never considered the truth of his
8. Hit and struck by his judges, contrary to Law.
9. Held without any pro-Jesus witnesses or supporters or judges, like Nicodemus.
10. Unanimous guilty verdict, which under their Law is proof of a conspiracy and the defendant is let free.
11. Sentence passed not in the only appointed place, in court, but in the High Priest's house.
12. Many people who bought their position were judges; also a dozen men who were ex High Priests, when that office is for life;
13. Switched the guilty verdict from blasphemy to sedition/treason before Pilate;
14. Found innocent by Pilate, but called for death penalty anyway via threats of blackmail to Caesar;
15. Condemned by mob violence to a charge he was innocent of; in fact, two charges in which he was innocent.

There may not be a Sanhedrin trial rule that they did not break in order to condemn and murder Jesus.

>Solipsism, the post.

The genocides Germans committed in ww2 in general, the sacrifice of father Kolbe in particular.

The way Germans, in particular the high command, betrayed Jewish veterans with the Dolchstoßlegende, and later, with an attempt to exterminate them.

The entire clusterfuck that is the French revolution.

Civil wars in general, neighbors fighting neighbors always gets me. There's a Spanish song, "Madre, anoche en las trincheras", that illustrates that very well.

The way Franz Josef betrayed all other nationalities in the Austrian Empire in favour of traitorous Hungarians, indirectly causing its dissolution.

The Ottoman Empire's influence on the Balkans.

according to the koran that never happened

The Passion and death of Jeanne d'Arc.

there are no primary sources to support any of this, it was all made up later

The Fall of Constantinople is the only one which literally brought me to tears.

>first king of rome is Romulus
>first emperor of rome is Augustus
>last emperor of the WRE is Romulus Augustus
what did history mean by this

Has ANYONE, EVER shed a tear for all of those poor gypsies killed by the Nazi bastards?

the Selk'nam (and adjacent tribes) genocide. One of the most interesting peoples both culturally and physiologically speaking that I've researched

When i learned how the communists winning the Russian Revolution was the tipping point that gave the Jews enough muscle to complete world domination.

mfw we could have been saved by the US but literally no politicians cared for us and the Americans left the parts of Czech they were already in

I feel ashamed as an American. We should've been removing commies at every step and corner in Europe

Haha they deserved it
-t. Atlantan.

Quality joke, have a (you).

I fucking wish Bolsheviks ruled the world.

Yep. Definitely should have repurposed the Wehrmacht and sent them east, this time with our bomber support.

gallipoli
>turkish memepire finally about to end
>anglos save their asses once again, this time not even intended

Majorian's fleet being destroyed by Vandal fire ships leading to his revival of the Western Roman Empire stalling and his eventual execution.

THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

potato famine

I laughed.

Those dixie krauts got what they deserved.

Fall of Rome to the Lombards, combined with the knowlege of everything else that happened.

I don't have any more tears left in me.

reading accounts of the Muslims defiling the city of Constantinople, and performing indignities upon the people there

kekd

>pic
>queue doom music

>unanimous verdict is evidence of conspiracy
Nigga what?

Is that supposed to depict Saylors Creek? Cause if so I think that may have been the only time the mental imagery of reading about an event has brought me to tears.

Napoleon's Hundred Days.
"If there is one among you who wishes to kill his emperor, here I am."
>ywn be charismatic enough to make your fellow soldiers desert and follow you one more time

>We earned Constantinople
No you didnt, the catholicucks served it to you on a silver platter

recommend sources and media on the fall of constantinople
im in for a feels night

1204 brought me tears of happiness.
>The Crusaders looted, terrorized, and vandalized Constantinople for three days, during which many ancient and medieval Roman and Greek works were either stolen or destroyed. The famous bronze horses from the Hippodrome were sent back to adorn the façade of St Mark's Basilica in Venice, where they remain. As well as being stolen, works of immeasurable artistic value were destroyed merely for their material value. One of the most precious works to suffer such a fate was a large bronze statue of Hercules, created by the legendary Lysippos, court sculptor of Alexander the Great. Like so many other priceless artworks made of bronze, the statue was melted down for its content by the Crusaders. The great Library of Constantinople was destroyed as well.

>Despite their oaths and the threat of excommunication, the Crusaders systematically violated the city's holy sanctuaries, destroying or stealing all they could lay hands on; nothing was spared, not even the tombs of the emperors inside the St Apostles church. The civilian population of Constantinople were subject to the Crusaders' ruthless lust for spoils and glory; thousands of them were killed in cold blood. Women, even nuns, were raped by the Crusader army,[ which also sacked churches, monasteries and convents. The very altars of these churches were smashed and torn to pieces for their gold and marble by the warriors. Although the Venetians engaged in looting too, their actions were far more restrained.[citation needed] Doge Dandolo still appeared to have far more control over his men. Rather than wantonly destroying all around like their comrades, the Venetians stole religious relics and works of art, which they would later take to Venice to adorn their own churches.
Based Venice.Those sea merchant Jews have been cucking Byzanshits since forever.

>The great Library of Constantinople was destroyed as well.
So much History has been destroyed.

When Constantinople was taken by the Turks.

Fall of Constantinople

Any recommended reading on this? Sounds fascinating.

I am stilled pissed about that; fuck ass creed for pulling that shit

THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST FUCKING STOP THE PAIN IS TOO MUCH

what do you mean?

End of Monarchies in general is a bit sad to me, even if the rulers themselves weren't the best.

>all the butthurt about constantinople
Oh no anatolians conquered an anatolian city

>crying over shut that happened hundred of year ago

You guys are a bunch of fuckin pussies.

June 10, 323 B.C.

"To the strongest"

"I go from a corruptible, to an incorruptible Crown, where no disturbance can be, no disturbance in the world."

Came here to post this. The last months of Karl's Ukrainian campaign were absolutely brutal.
Charles the Bold of Burgundy also gets to me.

>dixie
>krauts
>this coming from the Yankees who recruited German revolutionaries by the boatload because they were too lazy to fight themselves

Fuck off

Just checked Mort Kunstler's website, it is actually.

Not that it makes much of a difference, Saylor's Creek really was the Last Stand of the Confederacy. All those men who had survived four long years only to die so lonely and cold on the banks of the river tears me up inside. The only other accounts of the Civil War that brought me so close to tears was the death of General A.P. Hill, Sandie Pendleton, Strong Vincent (he was a Yankee, but even he didn't deserve a demise so agonizing), and Francis Barlow's wife.

Constantinople isn't in Anatolia dipshit. It's in Thrace/mainland Europe

6 September 1566
Death of Suleiman Kanuni

Fetih 1453
Great historical documentary.

enough men in my family died in that war, so you can go fuck yourself

>ywn go back in time dressed in period garb with a rod of Asclepius and give him primaquine, then vanish

Feels bad man

The Muslims didn't do anything a Western army wouldn't have done, the sacking of a major population center after a long siege was going to have a LOT of rape and murder.

The only thing that made my reading of it so heartbreaking was knowing people nowadays present Muslims in general, or even the Turks, as these noble enlightened souls above the sins of us filthy Western Christians.

if Napoleon had won at Wellington, the Hundred Days would probably be the most based thing to ever happen. Too bad Grouchy fucked it up

The letters home from Verdun and the Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele). Living for months in a poison gas covered, constantly exploding and on fire, hellish landscape where you have to shit in the hole you live in surrounded by your dead friends because if you stick your head out of the shell hole or trench you currently call home, someone will blow your head off or you will get hit by shrapnel.

Also during Passchendaele, the mud was so deep that it would swallow men whole and drown them. Otherwise unwounded men would beg to be shot to escape that fate if they found themselves sinking.

Guess not

The Armenian Genocide.

And it pisses me to the core when the cockroaches deny it.

all the people the Soviet Union's leaders betrayed, except for Yagoda, Yezhov and Beria, because those fucks all had it coming

reminder that that pic is from a movie

29 out of 31 in mine's didn't make come home because of you Lincoln loving cocksuckers. My extended family was pretty much fucking annihilated.

Stalin once introduced Beria to Church and FDR as "our Himmler."

Beria on a personal level made Himmler look like a decent human being by comparison.

Which movie?

yeah, Himmler at least had the decency to not be a mass murderer AND a serial rapist

and he didn't start crying and begging Hitler for mercy when he died either