Which era was the most aesthetic? I'm going with the 1940s

Which era was the most aesthetic? I'm going with the 1940s.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=upIlhve5r-g
youtube.com/watch?v=DZz3y6r-5H8
pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com
pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com/2009/01/before-they-drove-old-dixie-down.html
thirdreichruins.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The 2010's is the most aesthetical decade because it can contain pretty much every aesthetic throughout history. The 1940's didn't have the aesthetics inherent to later times but present time can contain any aesthetic up to this point insofar as they are preserved. In short, as long as past aesthetics are preserved, present time will always be the most aesthetic.
Pic related.

Late 19th/early 20th century, 1970s/80s(60 got nice music, but aestheticly its puke)

Agreed, psychedelia is a meme.
The return of art nouveau style in the 70's is pretty underrated

The 1960s.

In the modern era, I would say that the '20s were the most pristine, with Art Deco and whatnot, but the '70s are my personal favorite. I love the wood paneling, the naturalistic word-fonts, the traditional furniture that looks straight out of a log cabin, the shag carpets, the constant use of trapezoidal forms, the warm autumn colors, all the American bicentennial stuff, all the early environmental awareness stuff, and songs that sound like this: youtube.com/watch?v=upIlhve5r-g

I also love the architecture of the '70s. It was going through a transition between mid-century modernism and the cancerous Postmodern/Neo-eclectic/McMansion era of today. Houses were still built modestly and strong, cheap construction only occurred on tract houses, EIFS wasn't used as an actual building material yet and was pretty rarely employed at that, and vinyl siding would still remain extremely uncommon until the following decade. In America, a lot of '70s architecture essentially consists of basic modernistic forms decorated with rustic features that are typical of Colonial-era styles and old rural vernacular architecture. Relating to this, the '70s were also the height of simple mansard roofs being used on absolutely everything, which was a trend that exploded in popularity in the '60s as a reaction against practically everything that came out of the '50s. Mansard roofs were sometimes used in pretty abominable ways, but most of the time, they looked pretty nice. Pic related is a '70s-incarnate commercial building that I'm creating in SketchUp right now.

>1940's for Germany
>1960's for the USA

Ceci n'est pas un argument.

That's like saying the world is the same as it was in 1910 because 1910 happened

I love professional-grade '60s photography.

The 70s look is so mind boggling un-aesthetic that is somewhat charming. But no, you're entirely off base. It is hideous.

Really ugly. Also, things still looked like that in the 90s if you drove an old car up to it. And it was still ugly then.

It looks contrasting and unharmonious
Is this what multiculturalists think beautiful?

>The 70s look is so mind boggling un-aesthetic that is somewhat charming. But no, you're entirely off base. It is hideous.
>what are opinions

>things still looked like that in the 90s if you drove an old car up to it
First of all, why point out the '90s specifically?
Second of all, are you really trying to tell me that just because you could drive a '60s car up to a '60s shopping mall in the '90s, everything would have looked exactly the same despite the massive changes in graphic design, technology, fashion, and everything else that were completely apparent everywhere you looked?

80's had some real nice aesthetics going on, even if its been memed to death.

Damn right my man.

youtube.com/watch?v=DZz3y6r-5H8

>it's a retards confusing 80s movies and music videos with actual 80s life episode
Every time

It's just emblematic of the time you fucking autist.

It really isn't, it outright didn't exist out of popular media.

Belle époque.

Art Deco
:^)

>Art Deco was an era

I gave the date you fuck
:^)

That's not a nice way to talk to people.

>he thinks people didnt do blow and drive around in porsches listening to giorgio moroder in the 80s

LOL

And my favorite is when 20-something shitters think vaporwave is an 80s aesthetic when it's so mid 90s it hurts.

The political, economical, social landscapes have changed, border changes have taken place, new countries have been formed, conflicts have been resolved, others have been initiated but I don't see how your analogy applies. I haven't said that today's aesthetics are the same as those of the 1910's, I don't see how your comparison applies.

Contrasting sure, but I don't find it unharmonious.
Also, why do you bring up multiculturalists? Are you saying that picture of Osaka shows multiculturalism?

Why, the 20s, of course.

cool opinion dude

We're talking about the general pop cultural zeitgeist or "aesthetic" of an era, you gigantic autist.

I fucking hate that room

Time to post more neat examples of 80's design

Fuck yeah I love ancient IBM

just before the first world war

I take it you like Streamline Moderne.

Looks like my local train station.

Bretty cool shit.

1810s: pride and prejudice, byron, frankenstein, the vampyre, beethoven
1850s: unironic wearing of stovepipe tophats, aesthetic engineering, Dickens, qt dresses, great exhibition
late 1880s (1860s in America) to early 1890s: industrial marvels, sherlock holmes, aesthetic trains, gilded age, belle epoch, the wild west
mid 20s: metropolis, don't know what's coming, speakeasies, roaring 20s
40s to 50s: the horror of the war and holocaust then cold war paranoia combined with wartime propaganda and 50s PSAs style postwar optimism, nonbeta fedoras, kino cartoons, neat comics
60s: moon landings, hippies, explosion in music, counterculture, a flurry of good movies

from this point on different cultures and subcultures had their time, can't really put a pin on anything

I love me some Mid-Century Modern!

It's hard to find pictures of buildings in that specific style, because the only name I've ever heard it referred to by is just "Contemporary", which is what Field Guide to American Houses calls it. My favorite mid-century modern style is second-wave International.

Bump.

Pre-historic, user.

There is a lot more emphasis on "Googie" or "Raygun Retro" which is a more over-the-top variant of MCM. Pic related.

But I also like the nice clean International Style of the 1960s, especially in the fonts and colors they chose for lettering.

Imma hip you a site you can get lost in just looking at vintage commercial pics of that era. Enjoy

pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com

Pleasantfamilyshopping is where those picture of Dixie Square Mall are from.

pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com/2009/01/before-they-drove-old-dixie-down.html

>1940's germany
Have you seen any fucking building built by the nazis? I know it's a meme to hate on brutalism but they're ugly

>Are you saying that picture of Osaka shows multiculturalism?
I'm not that guy but yes, it clearly does. Are you saying those buildings have nothing to do with western culture?

Surprised how much of its still standing
thirdreichruins.com/

well a lot of those things can only be demolished with dynamite

60s, for sure. Brutalism is great, I don't get why you nerds hate it so much.

Early roman empire. Obviously...

I find it kind of endearing in a non-comfy, yet powerful sort of way.

Really? My favorite is when crabby old dipshits think vaporwave is a monolithic aesthetic and not a vague bundling of other subgenres encapsulating the late 80s to late 90s

Because I grew up in the 90s, surrounded by 60s-70s architecture. It is ugly as sin.

Did anyone here NOT grow up around architecture from the '60s and '70s? It can be ugly every once in a while, but most of it looks perfectly fine.

Absolutely sickening

1900-1910.

I really wish this line of design had stuck. We could've been like Blade Runner by now.
instead we got the gay 90's and now the Scandinavian minimalism meme.

Brutalism look cold and scary

cartoon network

buck the trend then my good man

Nope. The sixties are an disgusting puke stain between the futuristic sleekness of the 1950s and the gaudy ostentatiousness of the 1970s.