Where and when is the worst time in world history to have experienced?

Where and when is the worst time in world history to have experienced?

My vote goes to the trenches of WWI on the western front

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust_in_Lithuania
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_of_the_Late_Middle_Ages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_revolts_in_late-medieval_Europe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish–Teutonic_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine–Ottoman_wars
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>dude the trenches were the worst thing in the world, let alone that soldiers regularly rotated out of the most dangerous areas and spent more time in the back than they ever did in the front.

Napoleon's march back from Moscow was worse than the worst days of Verdun.

Not worse than shitting in a muddy trench, surrounded by rotting corpses and being shelled for hours before trying to fend off a german attack

Baghdad after the Mongols took it. Followed closely by Baghdad after the Timurids took it. Or that one besieged city in China where the army ate everyone.

Europe (besides Poland) during the Black Death is an obvious contender.

However, Europe after the black death was a great place to be.

Stalingrad or Leningrad

How about being in a german concentration camp? Atleast the soldiers had food.

being a turk in wallachia

Might not be the best contender, but I unironically believe that living in North Korea right now is the equivalent of not drawing a straw at all. If what we know of that place is truth then living there is sci-fi dystopia tier.

Now. My room.

slave in brazil

Being in an army that had just been routed by the Assyrians.

A Jew in Lithuania during WW2

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust_in_Lithuania
>More than 95% of Lithuania's Jewish population was massacred over the three-year German occupation — a more complete destruction than befell any other country affected by the Holocaust. Historians attribute this to the massive collaboration in the genocide by the non-Jewish local paramilitaries, though the reasons for this collaboration are still debated.[1][2][3][4] The Holocaust resulted in the largest-ever loss of life in so short a period of time in the history of Lithuania.

Plebian life before the 20th century.

You had ZERO rights if you got a job with a master and you couldn't do shit even if he raped you at work, especially if you were just a young boy. If you complained you'd get fined or go to prison. If you couldn't afford the fine you'd still go to prison.

Plebs also had to constantly fear for their lives because law enforcement was shit and corrupt, basically a lolbertarian ancap's wet dream. Not to mention they could also be robbed by bandits if they made journeys outside their village.

Oh and also there was the occasional war or viral pandemic that would hit your village wiping out everyone you know and love once or twice a generation.

My vote goes to a Nanking citizen during the rape of Nanking in WWII. Second place is Rome during the siege of Aloric (~310 AD I wish I was good with dates).

Dude Alaric literally didn't even burn stuff down. It was the nicest sack in Rome's history.

I don't see how any of these compete with ww1 fronts desu

>Napoleon's march back from Moscow was worse than the worst days of Verdun.
Your ability to desert would have been greater than being stuck in a trench, though.

Most soldiers who went to the trenches survived. And hardly any cannibalism took place.

>slavery
>rape
>retreating across half of europe with starvation and cossacks
>mass genocide
>the fucking rape of nanking
vs
>spending a week in a muddy trench

Idk, the Late Medieval Period sounds pretty bad over all.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_of_the_Late_Middle_Ages

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_revolts_in_late-medieval_Europe

Poland and Germany were in a state of near perpetual war:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish–Teutonic_War

Southeastern Europe was frequently at war:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine–Ottoman_wars

And Britain and France were in the Hundred Year's War.

I've read that the trench warfare horror is very overrated. Only for the fact that the troops were given breaks so often. Seems like at one point during the war, you were never forced to stay in a trench for over 24 hours, you would replaced for some downtime. but that could have been the last years of the war...

Siege of Leningrad

By all accounts it was a legendarily awful time.

Problem is you'd get killed quicker if you deserted because of the cossacks or the cold.

East Poland during WW2. If you were (un)lucky you experienced this:

>Invasion of Poland
>Soviet Occupation
>Deportations to the East
>Operation Barbarossa
>Einsatzgruppen and Ukrainian Auxiliary Forces murdering Jews and destroying villages allegedly helping the partisans
>Volhynia massacre
>Another Soviet occupation
>Population transfer (usually in terrible conditions)
All of this in just 5 years.

Being a Roman soldier at the battle of Teutoburg would be pretty awful, since you have zero chance of surviving. Either you die in battle or you're very unlucky and get captured by Germanic tribesmen and get tortured and sacrificed

>China during the Great Leap Forward
>Germany in the Thirty Years' War
>Russia in the Time of Troubles
>Eastern Europe in WWII
>Europe during the Black Death and upheavals in that time
>Khmer Rouge Cambodia

*blockade

the black death has to have been up in the top 3 worst human experiences ever

I think NK soon after the collapse of Soviet Union was the worst. Economy being in the shitter as usual, no USSR aid, famine and the black market being a lot less developed so even worse chances of feeding yourself.

a native after the conquest

(you)

Probably Baghdad during and after the mongol siege. Or anywhere there were humans during the Toba event.

In the middle of the Roman forces at the battle of Cannae.

Stalingrad