Is "Come and See" a historically accurate and a good history film to see as well?

Is "Come and See" a historically accurate and a good history film to see as well?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cinematographic masterpiece. Only butthurt nazifags bitch about it.

NO.

If anything Oskar Dirlewanger was even edgier irl. Probably not a bad representation of how partisan warfare works.

>masterpiece
Don't know about that, it's a high-tier war movie but there's a level above 'Come and See' for sure.

It shits on most Hollywood WW2 blockbusters with ease.

My literal shits shit on most Hollywood WW2 blockbusters with ease. If that's the standard of a masterpiece most movies are masterpieces.

Any movie where they subjected the actors to actual tracer fire during filming is a good one.

never saw it, any good?

Soviet propaganda. It's based on the Khatyn massacre which was committed by Ukrainian auxiliary units who got tried and sentenced for it, but in the film they're all German and acting like autistic cartoon villains at that. IIRC the filmmakers replaced the Ukrainians with Gernans in order to not spark any animosity between the Ukrainians and the Belarusians in the USSR.

So yeah, not accurate.

I'm sure Germans were also there. Wasn't Dirlewanger responsible for this?

the only pedantic over the top thing was the pet monkey

Actually nope, they were in the area at the time but this massacre was 100% by Ukrainians. There were testimonies and everything. The Dirlewanger division is kind of a meme to begin with, they committed pretty horrible atrocities in Poland so a lot of the later propaganda attempted retroactively to connect them to massacres on the Eastern front tgey had nothing to do with.

Yeah, I mean it was still the USSR so there of course there's an angle. I can accept the specific incident was Ukrainian. But again, it's not like this is anything the Germans were above anyway. Not this specific incident? Okay. Noted. We should be aware of the truth but there's nothing to defend. Yes, the monkey was dumb. Mostly dumb because it undermines what would otherwise be completely believable in WW2.

There were over 140 big massacre operations like Khatyn in Belarus during the war.
628 settlements were devastated, over 200,000 people killed.
So the film is not based specifically on Khatyn.

And the unit responsible for Khatyn was not ambushed by partisans as in the film.
Some of them were not even sentenced because they escaped to other continents, some of them were caught only on 70ths-80ths.

Both, but it's level below Ivan's Childhood.

Incorrect. The massacre in the film was based on experience of A. Adamovich, a Belarussian partisan who witnessed simmiliar atrocity including the thing with the kids.

>autistic cartoon villains
So like they acted IRL?

>Incorrect.

>I had been reading and rereading the book I Am from the Burning Village, which consisted of the first-hand accounts of people who miraculously survived the horrors of the fascist genocide in Belorussia.

>And then I thought: the world doesn't know about Khatyn!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See

So it's mostly based on a book, not his own accounts, and he links it indeed to Khatyn.

It's obviously stylized but yeah stuff like that happened in WW2 Europe.
There's a reason why so many Americans love Nazis and Wehrmacht, their families didn't suffer.
SS killed my grandfather's family, probably burned them alive. He managed to run away to woods and hid there a few days until he encountered partisan detachment and joined them.
That said obviously most of Germans didn't act like this. In my grandma's village German who was an army doctor married a local woman and remained there after war.

>And then I thought: the world doesn't know about Khatyn!
>They know about Katyn, about execution of Polish officers.
>Not about Belarus. Although over 600 villages were burned there.
>And I decided to make a film about this tragedy.
Here is a larger fragment from the interview of the director. As you can he linked it to the whole tragedy of massacred villages. Khatyn was only one of them, just one the most famous.

In xUSSR Khatyn is a proper noun which also became common noun. It means a village massacred by Germans during WWII.

>in the film they're all German and acting like autistic cartoon villains at that.

I recall that when they capture those guys at the end they were mostly Slavs with a few Germans like this guy () interspersed.