Why didn't Muslims in Egypt practice iconoclasm against temples...

Why didn't Muslims in Egypt practice iconoclasm against temples, the Sphinx and the Pyramids which were all symbols of cult following and paganism? I thought Islam hated Idoltry.

Other urls found in this thread:

time.com/3956017/greece-bailout-selloff/
loveofhistory.com/destroying-greek-heritage-the-temple-of-aphrodite-in-porto-rafti/
news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150817-greece-looting-artifacts-financial-crisis-archaeology/
youtube.com/watch?v=9nWrvvHDb8c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'd like to see you try to disassemble the pyramids

Show me.

Some muslims do advocate for it (like the guy in pic related in fact) but the tourist money, Egyptian cultural concern, and the cost involved in destroying them. There are other places where monuments on a similar scale were destroyed by iconoclastic kebabs though, like the Buddhist temples in Afghanistan.

*cost involved in destroying them prevents it.

They did. That's why the Sphinx misses a nose.

Hating idolatry =/= blowing up everything that's Paganistic.

ISIS/Taliban ideas of idolatry are extreme even among Wahhabis. While a couple kooky Egyptian mullahs have talked about destroying the pyramids everybody tells them to fuck off.

For most observant Muslims, you only need to worry about idols if Muslims are treating an object like an idol. Nobody ever prayed to the Buddhas at Bamiyan, which is why they stayed perfectly intact for 1000 years of Muslim rule until the Taliban took over.

A lot of faces were chipped off I think and they tried to damage the sphinx once.
But its all pretty massive, rather pretty and needs time and labour to destroy so why bother? The Taliban only blew the bhuddas up as a fuck you to the west when they heard people were concerned about them while their own lifes were in danger fighting other factions which made them pretty butthurt..

THEY MAKE ME SO GODDAMN MAD HOW DARE THEY TOUCH BUDDHA STATUES REEEEEE

They did and they do, you're just too stupid to know about it.

>At the end of the twelfth century al-Malek al-Aziz Othman ben Yusuf, Saladin's son and heir, attempted to demolish the pyramids, starting with Menkaure's. The workmen whom Al-Aziz had recruited to demolish the pyramid found it almost as expensive to destroy as to build. They stayed at their job for eight months. They were not able to remove more than one or two stones each day at a cost of tiring themselves out utterly. Some used wedges and levers to move the stones, while others used ropes to pull them down. When a stone fell, it would bury itself in the sand, requiring extraordinary efforts to free it. Wedges were used to split the stones into several pieces, and a cart was used to carry it to the foot of the escarpment, where it was left. Far from accomplishing what they intended to do, they merely spoiled the pyramid by leaving a large vertical gash in its north face.

They also tried to destroy the acropolis for lead and were using the Rosetta stone as a fucking paving slab before the French gave them what they deserved, filthy desert rats.

Thankfully their stupidity surpasses even their impulse to destroy civilization so there were still concealed artifacts for the white man to uncover and demystify.

depends on the subjetc who idolizing it
>muslim idolizing other god
ban it
>non-muslim idolizing it
let it, cna't enforce it
>none idolizing it as praying shits
keep it as a wonderful view or destroy it if necessary

looks like someone tried to grief something in minecraft then gave up lel

>blaming arabs to what a filthy kurd did
The vast majority of Egyptians are proud of their heritage. Why do you think they place such heavy security on artifacts and tombs?

Most Muslims aren't Wahhabi extremists who think that it's their duty to destroy global heritage sites.

>their heritage

You mean the heritage they stole from Africans? Arabs are not indigenous to Egypt.

It would make japan extremely pissed.

Too add, Greeks are easily the most terrible at protecting and preserving their heritage:
time.com/3956017/greece-bailout-selloff/
loveofhistory.com/destroying-greek-heritage-the-temple-of-aphrodite-in-porto-rafti/
news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150817-greece-looting-artifacts-financial-crisis-archaeology/

Reminder of how times have changed.
youtube.com/watch?v=9nWrvvHDb8c

That's just natural wear over time user.

And yet these fuckers were salty Disney made a Hercules film

WE

No.

>The Arab historian al-Maqrīzī, writing in the 15th century, attributes the loss of the nose to iconoclasm by Muhammad Sa'im al-Dahr—a Sufi Muslim from the khanqah of Sa'id al-Su'ada—in AD 1378, upon finding the local peasants making offerings to the Sphinx in the hope of increasing their harvest. Enraged, he destroyed the nose, and was later hanged for vandalism.[44] Al-Maqrīzī describes the Sphinx as the "talisman of the Nile" on which the locals believed the flood cycle depended

>ISIS/Taliban ideas of idolatry are extreme even among Wahhabis.
So why did the Saudis blow up almost anything with history in Arabia?

You get whipped if you piss on the pyramids

Not suprising. When I was in Greece there was literally trash on the ground everywhere I went. Even out in nature. Everything was covered in grafiti too, even some old medieval structures. I am not suprised they neglect their ancient heritage aswell.

Oh, there were also half-complete houses everywhere, left abandoned to be reclaimed by nature. Source: I went to Crete

Stuff like that was common during the middle ages, europeans would also destroy ancient roman monuments too

Because they are Wahhabis too.

Sunni not even once.

Wahhabis are less than 0.5 of total Sunni population. They are a minority even among Sunnis living in the Gulf states.

Just like Persian culture and Islamic culture clash & balance, so did Egyptian culture and Islamic culture, even though Egyptians have mostly Arabized by now. Egyptian antiquity is a great source of pride for Egyptian Arabs.

mmm, kind of.
The point of these threads is usually "see dumb anons Islam is civilized"
>I thought Islam hated Idoltry.
with that pic.
They do hate idolatry and they're the worst iconoclasts in human history. If they only don't look so appalling when compared to medieval Christendom, then that speaks volumes.
Western Europe has moved on, why haven't they.

WE