This board often focuses on the negative side of history, but what are some comfy moments in history...

this board often focuses on the negative side of history, but what are some comfy moments in history? The Christmas Truce immediately come to mind. Any others?

High Middle Ages (1000-1300) sound like a relatively nice time to live.

how would peasants live?

>Christmas Truce
Boring, overstated example to exploit war-weary men for modern political purposes.

:( i just wanna believe in humanity, user

Spain during its golden century. While the sadists were all focused in the New World, the motherland itself saw a flourishing of arts and literature. The age where the Church was everywhere, but not yet Inquisition-everywhere. The time of genteel love, the time of Don Juan and Don Quixote, when the nobility and kings were more focused on the outside world and let their Spanish subjects a certain degree of freedom that they would not experience again for a while.

>anything pre 2000 is racist and misogynistic

isn't Don Quixote about the fall of chivalry?

I enjoy the observation that despite all the setbacks, we as mankind are constantly improving. Our knowledge about the world increases, our technology progresses, less and less people live in absolute poverty, we are much more peaceful than we were in the past.
This makes me really optimistic about our future

>everything before now was just grimdark and anything positive about an era was just propaganda

It is. Nevertheless, while the romantic ideal of knights protecting the weak was a lie and absent during that time, in the center of the royal court there was that certain level of discreetness which had just the right amount of humanity in it. People would be polite to one another, but fight over women or against someone they felt had wronged them. While this was going on, people in the fields lived a relatively lax live, sowing their fields, drinking and gambling, in towns nestled in the fields of Castille. It wasn't a time of pure propriety, but it wasn't a time of barbarism.

Humanity is brutal.

> being able to go to a temple to fuck a virgin, and having it be considered a religious duty
> having some of the best beer in the ancient world
> crazy new years orgy
> relative safety thanks to strict legal code
> plenty of food thanks to optimum location of city between two rivers
I don't think there'd be too many downsides to living in Ancient Babylon under Hammurabi

Minus the plague

In Sengoku Era Japan, one of the most intense rivalries of the time was between Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin.

They fought several times, with the fourth battle of Kawanakajima being such an intense battle that according to legend at one point Kenshin rode straight through the front lines and slashed at Shingen, who block Kenshin's sword with a metal fan.

Well at one point the Hojo clan started an embargo on salt entering Kai, the realm of the Takeda, hoping to weaken them due to the importance of salt in preserving and cooking good.

When Kenshin found out he diverted some of his own clan's salt and shipped it to Shingen stating that wars should be fought on the battlefield, not with salt.

Russian revolution

> you will never live in Classical Athens

>being a devout christian
>having political purposes
you wot.

>less and less people live in absolute poverty
Questionable, modern medicine and agriculture have allowed hordes of street-shitting Pajeets and Sub-Saharan Africans to multiply quicker than improving living standards can catch them. Before these communities would have been poor but at a sustainable level, now poverty is expanding at an unprecedented rate, where before it would largely be contained.

>knowledge, technology
We're doing well but anybody who thinks singularity is imminent is kidding themselves.

>much more peaceful
20th century was very violent, and 2017 is a pretty damn violent year in a lot of places. The west is probably experiencing a lull. Overpopulation is going to hit ram this "peace" up the ass like a truck full of bricks traveling at the speed of light.

The 50's are a really cliched answer.
>inb4 muh blacks and women
Blacks thrived in the 50's before the tensions of the 60's and ghettofications of the 80's and women had the most freedom they had than in every other time and actually appreciated this.

2017 is honestly no better or worse as a year in terms of violence compared to others this century. Really, no decade or even year is devoid of violence.

Islamic Golden Era

>> having some of the best beer in the ancient world

>implying

After the foundational violence settled down did no Golden Age Muslim find it odd that they were living under the laws of the men who killed off their prophet's bloodline?

Besides the boarder line autistic social laws that some of those Mesopotamian cities had

They are not really good at questioning authority

I always thought it was about some who tried to cling on to the middle ages with knights riding on horseback on quest.

Weimar Republic

Speak for yourself

that's essentially what I meant by fall of chivalry. I meant chivalry in the literal sense, not the respecting women definition. Don Quixote clings onto medieval ideals in a culture where they're no longer relevant and is portrayed as a loon for doing so

It isn't even that. All he knows of chivalry is what he reads in novels where chivalry is romanticized. He thought the Middle Ages were like those stories where the knight bravely slays the dragon to protect his beloved. The author makes the protagonist cling to a past that doesn't even exist. I can't fully remember what Cervantes' message was supposed to be in this, but I think romanticizing the nonexistent past had something to do with it.