Did Russia ever acquire their coveted warm water port?

Did Russia ever acquire their coveted warm water port?

yes they stole from ukraine

What about Vladivostok?

it's only free all year round thanks to modern ice breakers, so kind of yes but kind of no.

Kaliningrad?

Why do you think they're in Syria?

Yeah, didn't Catherine the Great get it?

I checked, under her rule they seized a Black Sea port from the Ottomans.

Black sea and Baltic ports don't count as both have to go out via NATO observed zones (Gibraltar, Darnell's, and North sea) so the west can monitor easily.
Russians needed somewhere like Port Arthur or that one in Afghanistan hence their war there and almost autistic foreign policy in pursuit of one during the cold war, plus the war in Syria for the Russians is about maintain that Port that doesn't have to go through the Darnell's controlled by NATO turkey (I forget its name but on the coast).
Vladivostok it their warm water port but its in the middle of bum fuck nowhere.
So in short they now do have their warm water port but thanks to technology rather than territorial occupation. But they could probably get a better one if they tried.

This

>that one in Afghanistan
They were searching for ports in a landlocked country?

The only question was if it was a warm water port mate.

Russians took Ionian islands in 1798 in Greece

They lost it in 1807 however at Tilsit Treaty

Konigsberg is an exclave with very little coastline confined to the Baltic Sea which is further penned in by the Danish straits.

I think he's confusing Afghanistan with Pakistan... and Russia with China.

But they had warm water ports for ages, the whole point of Russia-warm water port meme is that all the ports they can get are strategically flawed being some restrictions to their enemies. Russia would have had warm water ports in the baltic and black Sea pre world war one and during the cold war so I assumed OP was asking if they ever got the warm water port they wanted I.e. Away from enemies prying eyes and strategic choke holds.
The Soviets potentially wanted to control Afghanistan and they either invade Pakistan with left leaning India to get the port of karachi (allegedly the British partitioned karachi into Pakistan to avoid it falling into Soviet hands during 1947) or expand West into the middle east gaining a port there.

Don't they have one in Crimea now? It's still kinda useless militarily without a real navy, though.

Nah Russia used to own port Arthur back during the russo Japanese war. I was using it as an example of a far eastern warm water port akin to valdavosktok.

Ah, interesting stuff.

Ah okay, my mistake sorry.

Nah I just realised I put "in" rather than "near" Afghanistan.

I thought on top of military importance, they wanted a warm water port for year round trade.

Still no access to the Mediterranean since Turkey stills control Istanbul

>finally get your warm water port back
>the only way to the atlantic is through the med, 2 major chokepoints and several other pretty narrow bits
>your black sea navy is a joke

I mean I guess it comes in handy but it's a mixed bag if ever there was one

Global warming is a russian conspiracy to get a warm water port

I'm confused. Even if they did get Turkey on their side, don't they still have to deal with the Mediterranean, as says?

Yes, and they got it in early XVIII in the Baltic, but fags here are full autistic about straits and navy.

>Did Russia ever acquire their coveted warm water port?
With the way global warming goes and with Donnie actively accelerating it -- THEY WILL.

Potentially the entire North Acrtic way will free up. Sure there is a risk of methane hydrate killing everyone, but that's an acceptable risk.

>North West passage is a thing now

Yea but it means they can operate in the med unrestricted.
In short the war for the Russians in Syria is partly to maintain their naval facilities at tartus so their fleets don't have to go past Istanbul which is run by NATO' turkey for maintenance.
Along with that they are still trying to get a warm water port (as even though in the med their is still Gibraltar to get out to open ocean) anywhere away from NATO so they can operate undetected in the ocean. Vladavostok counts but it's not a true warm water port as it needs icebreakers to function so if war broke out and they were bombed the fleet in the East would be fucked further more it is in bum fuck nowhere so it's pretty meh. A port in the Indian ocean or Arabian gulf would be ideal but that would take a lot of conquest to achieve.

they rented sevastopol and they are renting latakia as we speak, educate yourself

>baltic
Has to pass through NATO controlled straits (Denmark, UK).
>black sea
Has to pass through NATO controlled strait (Turkey).
>far east
Has to pass through NATO controlled strait (Japan).

Russia is landlocked by NATO. It can't have an ocean fleet, because it would need to ask NATO to take it out for a ride.