Why did countries such as Spain or Sweden, that were great powers, became today largely irrelevant? pic unrelated

Why did countries such as Spain or Sweden, that were great powers, became today largely irrelevant? pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fk6T8ioO0uY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Sweden

>Ever relevant

lol

but... muh Carolus Rex

Same thing happened with Belgium. In the mid 19thC Belgium was 4 or 5th greatest power on Earth but nowadays who even hear of Belgium? Great nations rise and fall, but who knows what may rise again

Se hur Ryssen ger sig, ber om nåd. Fuck you Ivan

Similar to most of Europe

In Spain's case it's because they got nigger rich on gold and then used their newfound wealth to fight a bunch of pointless holy wars and avoid any form of structural reforms.

>Belgium
>Ever the 4th or 5th greatest power on Earth
I dont think you can say they have ever even been in the top 10.

You forget we got literal retards as kings, very, very few after Philip II were okay.

And I will add Charly was one of the okay ones, he was a retard but he did know how to delegate. Oh, and don't forget the civils wars, the 19th until the mid 20th was constant with them.

>Spain
Turned to shit after Habsburgs left.

>Sweden
Not trying to meme but they were only a regional power at most and only for a short amount of time, in a place that was kinda far away from the rest of europe.

Read fooled by randomness.

You're wrong.

>they were only a regional power at most and only for a short amount of time, in a place that was kinda far away from the rest of europe.
Define regional power.
They were obviously never a colonial world power but within Europe they were highly relevant during those 100 years.
While they never got directly involved in westeuropean wars they did play a large part in Frances diplomatic games and were constantly at war in Central and Eastern Europe.

Idk what are you talking about, the habsburgs where the ones who fucked Spain. Thanks to the bourbons Spain recovered his position being only behind the UK and France in terms of power. All this changed with the napoleonic invasion and one of the worst kings that have reigned anywhere.

Why? During the 19th century you had a tonne of different great powers whom Belgium was no near to.

>Thanks to the bourbons Spain recovered his position being only behind the UK and France in terms of power.
They were at the top when they had the Habsburgs.

The jews

But not thanks to them, they just had luck of inherite a prosperous kingdom as it was Castile, with his army and his new lands. And used all of that to help their interests in central and north europe.

Both sides participated in tons of wars that despite whatever eventual outcome didnt actual provide much benefit to the participating country. Or at best prevented them from sliding into more shit.

Tbh you can't compare what was Sweden to what Spain arrived to be

>eight highest per capita GDP
>good universal health care
>free tertiary education
>great music, films, theatre, literature
>solid industry
>constantly ranked among the healthiest, happiest, safest, freest and most equal countries in the world

Nobody gives a fuck about being """relevant""" as long as you're free, rich and happy

>b-but muslim invasion

>Belgium was 4 or 5th greatest power on Earth

>eight highest per capita GDP
>good universal health care
>free tertiary education
>solid industry
>constantly ranked among the healthiest, happiest, safest, freest and most equal countries in the world
You are living like 20 years in the past.

>Spain turned to shit when the Habsburger snaked his way into the throne

Fixed for you.

>tfw Belgium has been a super power during the 19th century, but they have done such horrible shit that they decided to erase this period from people's memory

He plays vicky 2 and Belgium are a great power (or close not sure) in that.

its mindblowing that spain even exists as a nation after so many attempts at destroying itself
its still in an identity crysis, the complete opposite of the USA patriotism: you can be beaten up for carrying a small spanish flag and all kinds of shit like that.

No kidding
youtube.com/watch?v=Fk6T8ioO0uY

You're probably thinking of the Dutch who had a huge colonial and global trading empire, which are from the country called The Netherlands, not Belgium. It's okay though I get them confused all the time as well.

Swedes are still butt-hurt little Norway has matched or outpaced them, which I believe happened after the discovery of oil in Norway's favor. Also having a behemoth like Russia on your doorstep probably doesn't help with their inferiority complex.

Spain I'm not so sure about but they probably over-extended their massive empire. This happens a lot, to Rome, to the Mongols, eventually you just get too big to maintain yourself long-term.

OP you have a point that once great powers obviously are not so great anymore, there are probably many reasons why and each nation's story is different. Every time and place is different, sometimes it's all up to factors that are near impossible to predict or control.

To quote Bismarck: ‘I am firmly convinced that Spain is the strongest country of the world. Century after century trying to destroy herself and still no success.’

Kek

Nah Our Royal family used to be upset like 100 years ago about the whole breaking of the union but Swedes don't really care about Norway.

I'v never actually heard anyone talk shit about Norwegians other than some banter.

Swedes care far more about the rivalry with Finns in Hockey and just wrecking Danes in Football.

I. Know. What. I. Meant.
B E L G I U M

I PLAY THE TRUTH

Then you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

it wasn't so much that they got overextended, more that their colonial policy was based entirely on extraction of precious metals which caused terrible inflation and was not a viable long term model. They had a lot of bad leadership, and got over committed to fighting endless wars in Europe that didnt really benefit them.