Why were so many intelligent men throughout history sexists and misogynists? If they were so smart...

Why were so many intelligent men throughout history sexists and misogynists? If they were so smart, they would have known how ridiculous their prejudices were.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Gorbous
fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m67.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M67_grenade
oldmagazinearticles.com/WW1_Sea-Mines-pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nietzsche was gay as fuck

OP, just because someone is smart in one or more fields doesn't mean they can't be an idiot in some or others.

Pic related is Niels Bohr, one of the best physicists of modern times. By pretty much any metric, he was an extremely smart man. One day, in 1916, he was walking along the coast of Denmark with his assistant, and they saw a naval mine, probably from the British fleet operating in the North Sea, washed onto the beach.

The smart thing to do would be to vacate the area and call for some kind of bomb disposal. Bohr did not do the smart thing. Instead, he got some rocks and threw them at the giant fucking bomb. How could such an intelligent man have done something so stupid?

Intelligence does not exclude prejudices. Humans in general only give consideration to what directly relates to them and only question what personally displeases them. It's a flaw in human nature that has nothing to do with intelligence.

Because women were raise to be dumb, so the common stacy would be empty and uninteresting to a inteligent man, only the noble women or hight classes could have an education in things like philosofy, science, mathematics, music, etc. But they Weren't most women

>Instead, he got some rocks and threw them at the giant fucking bomb.
Was he autistic?

>every mental disorder or character flaw is autism

i hate this meme

>smart thing to do...vacate the area and call for...bomb disposal

The problem is that you have a very limited view of what constitutes "intelligence". According to you, only a limited subset of strategies, that prioritize absolute safety and security, are the only "sensible" strategms for a life-history.

He wanted to see shit blowup. He probably had an idea of the probable explosive radius and threw rocks from a position where he'd be less likely to go kaboom.

"The smart thing to do..."

Fucking dumbass. There's no singular 'smart things to do". There's probabilistic choices and actions that one gambles upon and which are altered by different weights on different values.

And i know he survived until at least ww2 so it obviously worked out, also i dont think there would have been a bomb disposal hotline in 1916 denmark

(You)
CONT.

That's a scary thing but in a different way. The only way construed intelligence was by "wait and contact an authority". Despite the fact that Bohr was at least in the top .01% of intellect at the time.

could never be as carefree as someone who could create novel evaluations. His very words besmirch the world of stratagems covered by general intelligence. If life were a choose your own adventure game, would be a shitty NPC whose only purpose is to move one lever or open one door in the story.

Finished reading Schopenhauer's essay "On Women" yesterday. I agree with him

>The only way OP construed intelligence was by "wait and contact an authority".
He did not. In fact he pointed out that there are different types of intelligence and that for example "book-smart" intelligence is different to "practical" intelligence. Applied to OP's question in could be interpreted as saying that having prejudices has nothing to do with "book-smart" intelligence.

I edited the post already. I meant (not OP)

The type of guy who wouldn't recognize how playful actual intelligence is.

>example "book-smart" intelligence is different to "practical" intelligence

I think psychologists would call that distinction "Verbal IQ vs Performance IQ". But when you're dealing with someone like Bohr, you're dealing with an exception that can't be measured as accurately.

Assuming Bohr was just wigging out, I'd just say temporary derangement, at the worst.

Honestly, the person I was pointing out is more emblematic of a certain leveling mindset, where there is one correct strategy. Like how religious freaks are OCD. There is one way and if the person does not act in this one way, they obviously are defective in some cognitive and/or moral way.

CONT.

And look at the smallness of this way! "Get a big daddy to help you figure it out." Admittedly, this would be a wise strategy for most people. Most people can't make Fermi-like guesses with any sort of consistent accuracy/usefulness.

But, generally speaking, higher intelligence has access to more heuristics and intuitive breakdowns of what's happening in the cognitive frame.

If you want a real example of a real smart guy losing it, see Kurt Godel and his fear of food poisoning toward the end of his life. The irony being that such anxiety could be provoked by numerous conditions, including a lack of magnesium and zinc in the diet. DESU, everyone above 25 should be taking a zinc supplement because the machinery to capture it breaks down with age. It's probably one of those things which would decrease rates of dementia and Alzheimer's if there was mass awareness.

But anyways, I think the actual point I initially had in mind was that...man it wasn't even a point. There was just something starkly ugly about '...wait and call the bomb squad(sic)". Which unfortunately makes sense for most people nowadays. Some raving vision of a society where information asymmetry is so total that mobility in all forms is constrained.

If you want to call on daddy to solve all your problems, expect to be daddy's bitch. So to speak.

>Honestly, the person I was pointing out is more emblematic of a certain leveling mindset, where there is one correct strategy.
No, not really. He was just pointing out that common sense and analytical intelligence are two different things.
You are the one who has some sort of OCD.
>you're dealing with an exception that can't be measured as accurately
>who wouldn't recognize how playful actual intelligence is
etc.
Yeah, YOU know about ACTUAL intelligence and everyone who disagrees is defective in some way.

please don't leave the board

>He was just pointing out that common sense and analytical intelligence are two different things.

Common sense has its limit. It's a framework for a majority of cognitive entities, not necessarily for those at the extremes. Additionally, violating common sense is often a form of peacockery on part of the person. If you can flaunt the "rules", you have some status/power.

This might have been a secondary motivation for Bohr throwing a rock. Impressing his assistant with someone that would flaunt the heuristics of most people (get away from thing that goes boom). Which is a point someone could attack him on. But honestly, the story needs to be fleshed out. Like how far was he chucking the rocks? If he could throw one from 50 feet away, and have access to cover, then it's an old man playing and peacocking.

>Yeah, YOU know about ACTUAL intelligence and everyone who disagrees is defective in some way.

Then by my own laws, I must be humbled. DESU, I'm struggling to understand why "The smart thing to do would be to vacate the area and call for some kind of bomb disposal." seems so...ugly. At least compared to what Bohr did.

will you be my daddy?

>applying the current subjective view of morality in today's standards to people of historical times

Kill yourself

>Common sense has its limit.
Yes, and?
>But honestly, the story needs to be fleshed out.
No, not really.
>I'm struggling to understand why "The smart thing to do would be to vacate the area and call for some kind of bomb disposal." seems so...ugly.
For two reasons:
1. You are misinterpreting it.
which this is kind of a consequence of the second:
2. You are socially-isolated, pretentious, self-absorbed and most likely underage.

>The problem is that you have a very limited view of what constitutes "intelligence". According to you, only a limited subset of strategies, that prioritize absolute safety and security, are the only "sensible" strategms for a life-history.
No, try again without your bizarre psychoanalysis.

>He wanted to see shit blowup. He probably had an idea of the probable explosive radius and threw rocks from a position where he'd be less likely to go kaboom.
Try again without literally inventing facts. Show me where Bohr knew about the blast radii of bombs. In fact, ignorance is his best excuse; because there's no possible way that he could have thrown the rocks from outside the blast radius. The longest recorded throw of a baseball was less than 500 feet, and the baseball is likely more aerodynamic than any random rocks lying around. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Gorbous

M67s, a modern hand grenade, can throw shrapnel up to 230 meters. fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m67.htm They have an explosive charge of 180 grams of Composition B explosive. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M67_grenade That has a 1.72 conversion equivalent to TNT, so we're talking about 309.6 grams equivalent of TNT.

It is unclear what model of mine is mentioned in Kramers' Memoirs, he didn't seem to think it important to record, if he even knew in the first place. But even the relatively small anti-submarine mines had charges of about 300 pounds of TNT. oldmagazinearticles.com/WW1_Sea-Mines-pdf Converting that to kilograms, we get 136 kilograms, or about 450 times as powerful an explosive as the M67 hand grenade, which can already fuck you up from literally the farthest possible throw a human could realistically make.

Throwing rocks at a naval mine washed ashore is just stupid. There is no safe way to do it, and there is no possible upside you could get, other than watching the explosion that would very likely kill or maim you. There might not be a singular "smart thing to do", but there are plenty of stupid things to do, and throwing rocks at a giant bomb in a time when such things were very unstable certainly fits that bill. The only reason he survived without serious injury is that the bomb did NOT go off, which would defeat the whole purpose of "trying to see the kaboom", which is, I suppose, just about the only upside to this whole insane "plan".

It was really stupid, as are you.

Woooaaah-hoh-ho there buddy. What're you throwing around that bullshit for? Cat have a conversation without jacking yourself off?

I don't remember saying anything about myself.
I am merely sharing some of my observations because I thought they might throw some light on your self-admitted confusion. I don't think I have said anything offensive and I certainly didn't mean to offend you.

Have you ever considered they were right?