Wars

Why does religion cause so many wars? it's like "you don't believe in my imaginary friend so i will kill your civilization and mark it as an ok thing to do"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MuKFX1NuoaI
youtu.be/1zMf_8hkCdc
siessfires.com/home/2017/6/23/shaping-god
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm sorry user, this site is for 18+
Come back in 5 years.

>Why does religion cause so many wars?

Because a significant portion of humanity chose devil worship over God.

youtube.com/watch?v=MuKFX1NuoaI

people fight for many ideologies. for example communism sought a militant approach to bring violent revolution to establish global dominance during the 20th century.

The more power you have over your population, the better. They try to disprove the other religion through war so others can convert to the winning side and/or increase faith in the population of the winners.

Religion is used to control the population for many reasons, but the most common is control.

First time posting on /his , how did i do?

Contrary to popular belief, any close examination history quickly reveals that religion is rarely the cause of war, rather it is simply fuel for the fire. Nearly every "religious war" has had entirely materialistic roots, be in it over resources, power, or simply strategic advantage. Even the crusades were, in many ways, more about profits than prophets.

...and if it wasn't religion providing that fuel, the fundamental tribalism so core to human nature, that makes civilization possible to start with, dictates it'd be something else.

These days, nationalism is pretty popular.

Monotheistic religion most certainly has been and is a source of conflict. When you have a belief that says "this is the only correct belief", invest that belief with that faulty belief it is the source of morality, and mix it with authority over people's lives it's going to be bad.

Look at the trouble Northern Ireland suffered.

At least ancient religions were about actions, not belief in creed,Ancient Roman religion was based in ritual, but morality was the realm of philosophy.

But some early Christians went to their deaths rather then sprinkle incense at the feet of an emperor's statue! Nothing more, and it was foolish.

They believed they had the only correct way and were inflexible.

Blind fundamentalism is, sadly, not unique to religion. It recurs regularly in all manner of social structures. Ireland started out being just as much about displacement and destitution, as it was about religion - it merely provided the perfect flag for an irate people to band behind. Yes, that particular movement may not have picked up enough steam without that uniting element, but such people have united under non-religious flags many a time, with similarly bloody results.

Religion justifies war, and identifies the opposition

>the fundamental tribalism so core to human nature, that makes civilization possible to start with
Im pretty sure overcoming tribalism is what makes civilization possible.

There's a reason why legit tribals never went past village and spearchucking shit.

>Religion causes wars
No, it's just a really good excuse that seems much more noble than "I want your shit"

So do neck ties.

Religion is just one manifestation of a much more fundamental problem. You can wave a magic wand to get rid of it, but that problem wont go away.

Religious violence is almost never just about religion but that does not mean that the religious element is unimportant or even occasionally decisive. Take the crusades, yes it was a land grab and a looting expedition but it is hard to believe the whole exercise would have got of the ground without the religious impetus.

>religion
is an accountability dodger in wars.

>We dindu nuffin bad cuz our deity said so.
It helps warriors from feeling moralfag guilt and ensures a slaughter.

With no religion now humans question the point of war as now the moralfaggotry can no longer be held in check by religious devotion.

>Even the crusades were, in many ways, more about profits than prophets.

Some of the richest lords in Europe abandoned their property in the continent to do what they believed was a Holy Duty.

Muh "EVERYTHING IN HISTARY IS ECONOMIC N SHIET" is Marxist-tier babby history.

Social mechanisms exist that replace religions function in that role. Mechanisms that, probably, predate religion (certainly organized religion as we understand it today).

>With no religion now humans question the point of war as now the moralfaggotry can no longer be held in check by religious devotion.
It's not as if there aren't other ways.

Religion still sanctifies and legitimises the divisions while making it easier to mobilise large numbers for a cause and discourage any dissent or opposition as 'heresy'.

Perhaps there's something inherent in religion that makes this happen, or is it never to blame?

I'm saying, if it wasn't religion, it'd be the same thing under another name, as has often been the case throughout history.

If folks are killing each other over whether they are wearing red or blue bandanas, the existence of bandanas is probably not the problem.

>If folks are killing each other over whether they are wearing red or blue bandanas,
You appear to think tribal violence is as lethal as religious violence.

This is not the case,Religion is a evil human trait, the backward authoritarian instinct in the human psyche to impose beliefs on others.

The elite may have many ulterior motives but they are still going to have to convince the plebs that it's worth risking their lives, that's it's okay to kill in this particular exception and that they shouldn't fear defeat because our God is with us. Basically religion is a very useful tool more than the cause itself. Of course I have no doubt that there's the occasional case where it's genuine zealotry.

Religion doesn't even cause that many wars, that's just a meme that fedorameisters like to spout. Besides the crusades, the 30 years war or anything involving the muslim faith, I really can't think of any wars that came about purely due to religious differences.

>religion is an evil human trait
>religious wars are deadlier than regular wars
kek OK user

>You appear to think tribal violence is as lethal as religious violence.
I dunno, do you think WWI and WWII were about religion?

When I say "tribalism", I'm not talking about red primitives running about in untamed America (not that they weren't blood thirsty as hell too), I'm talking about the *social instinct* of tribalism. Of social networks, exclusivity, cultural identity, of "us vs. them". Religion is but a single brand of that process, and it comes in an endless host of other such brands, from those benign as your favorite football team or music genre, to as bloody and authoritarian as Stalinism.

But that same instinct, the ability to extend the familial identity to the grander social scale, is the same thing that made civilization possible to begin with.

As far as fundamental problems with humanity at large is concerned, religion is a red herring. Fundamentalism and blind allegiance to idealism comes in many forms and will arrive in many more in the future, but they are birthed from a process of larger identity that makes society possible to begin with, and thus cannot be easily done away with. Certainly, however, doing away with a single manifestation of said does nothing to address the core issue of this human interaction that is the source of so much conflict.

Religion harnesses that tribal aggression and fuels it with divine edicts, religious wars have killed far more than tribal wars and occur over larger areas

The muslim invasion of india killed between 200 and 400 million hindu.

>do you think WWI and WWII were about religion?
Wars arnt about religion, but religion is used as a motivation to enhance the killing.

The Wehrmacht belt-buckles were inscribed with the phrase "Gott im Himmel".

And dollars are inscribed with "In God we trust", but do you think that's what makes them more valuable than currencies with no such religious markers?

Magically taking away religion isn't going to prevent any wars, people will merely latch onto other socially bonding ideologies and motivate themselves by other means that are, essentially, the exact same process under other terminology.

Religious dogmas threaten, condone, or prescribe violence against children, gay people, and those who have different beliefs.

Judaism and Islam condone owning slaves, and the Bible gives detailed instructions on how one is to beat their slave.

All anyone needs to do to grasp that religions breed, and serve to justify, violence (and myriad other forms of immoral, rotten, perverse, and unethical behavior) is to read their "holy" books.

Simple. Sin.

what is the difference between a religious dogma and ideological dogma?

Religious dogma can be verified and is eternally the same. Ideological dogma is groundless and subject to change.

Btw not same person, saw your question out of context, don't know what the other guy said kek

if ideological dogma is groundless why do people fight wars and kill each other over it ?

Religious dogma *is* ideological dogma. There is no difference, particularly whenever the source is a dead guy who wrote a book, and is still elevated to the level of godhood, which is so often the case, or it's merely a case of cult of personality, where the god is still alive. Either way, the end result is the same, and the same mechanisms are in play.

Because it's groundless...anyone can claim rules of their own. If morality is outside of our devising, then all must adhere to it sparring no one responsibility. If the rules are set in stone eternal, as religious people believe, then they cannot change. The question is, what are the rules? Someone has interpreted wrong or manipulated it, someone is completely correct.

people will keep killing each other either way though

You might have a point, if there was a god actually interpreting and enforcing the rules, but that's done by people, same as with any other set of rules. If some ideology is defended as the end-all-be-all, it doesn't much matter if the source is believed to be a god or not, the relative intractability and adherence to ideology remains the same, as the propensity to use it as a justification for violence against those who do not follow that same ideology, and to perceive those outside of the ideology as "other".

Both religious and ideological beliefs change over time, as the people who practice them do, but not before, whether those fundamentals are religious or not.

So that is what we call our fallen nature, we are full of sin. We work everyday to sustain sanctity, through the intervention of Our Lord. Just because men say they are men of God, does not mean they mean it with their heart. Ex: Pharisees killing an innocent man (Jesus). This is all caused by sin of men and unwillingness to get better, and the devil is also a huge temptation but this is a much more vast topic. Here's a comfy link if you wanna start with something friend

youtu.be/1zMf_8hkCdc

God Bless.

God bless.

Religion cannot cause war. Money cannot cause war. Go back to shreddit you anthropomorphizing cuntsack.
You too, back to smellit
All history is babby history.

In the Bible Jesus asks "Who do you say that I am?" . That is the problem today and has always been. Men are not properly recognizing God and understanding his instructions. There are three abrhamic religions, once you study all three, you instantly can verify which one is complete because it holds up to scrutiny.

t. Letzter Mensch
waaaah my morality is RIGHT yours is WRONG
How ironic

this is alex jones tier shit.

I think that religion's influence on wars is equivalent to its influence on society -
it has a role, but religion is as warped by society's need for it as religion bends society's morality. This touches on it a bit.

siessfires.com/home/2017/6/23/shaping-god

Of coarse my morality is superior to that of a weak minded sheep.

>'Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities'

-Voltaire

Irony.
>absurdity
Dirty Dualist. Letzter Mensch. Etc.,