What's the verdict on Cixi? She's traditionally seen as one of the worst ruler of China...

What's the verdict on Cixi? She's traditionally seen as one of the worst ruler of China. But some historians also try to rehabilitate her, claiming she was maligned for being a woman.

Cixi is shit, the vast vast majority of Chinese and Chinese historians rank her among the worst rulers in Chinese history.

The revisionists are primarily based in the West and didn't have to live through the consequences of her actions.

was she shit because she was shit, or because there was shit after her and due to her?

The Chinese scholars are revolutionary so they hate queen and kings. Working with the monarchy was the reasonable choice. All solid HAN officials, those with both power and vision, supported her. The revolutionary alternative to her and her cabinet were jokes. Well perhaps the officials are jokes too if they had their chance. But the revolution destabilized china for a hundred years.

>Opened up China for 50 years of frequent Japanese imperialism
>Worsened the situation with the growing amount of western imperialism in China
She handed China over to foreigners pretty much with her poor leadership

>But some historians also try to rehabilitate her, claiming she was maligned for being a woman.

They try to rehabilitate her BECAUSE she was a woman. She was an utter cunt, incompetent AND corrupt.

Mostly because Qing-era Chinese were retarded.

>hand over country to foreigners
>eventually realize you fucked up
>tell farmers they're bullet proof because magic
>send them against crack foreign troops

She was a cunt

Well she had some serious competition seeing how many Chinese emperors were absolutely fucking insane megalomaniacs who murdered people for fun. Then again murdering people for fun doesn't influence the future of your state as much and frankly she absolutely messed up when China needed a leader most.

Manchus were the worst thing to happen to Asia. I'm Korean and even I'm still mad about the Manchus conquering China.

How do you feel about the Ming dynasty?
Weren't the early Qing leaders good? they improved standards but i guess later everything went to shit

she kind of reminds me of another Queen. But Cixi was way more incompetent. Compared to Cixi what was her role and what was her position in trying to modernize Korea?

what would it have taken for China to modernize like the Japanese did without getting humiliated first?

Like did she just not have a PR team to tell her how eerie those nails looked lol!

Different ruling class.

Only a few centuries ago the Ming saw that the Dutch had better cannons than them and quickly modernized their own until they could beat the Dutch and even kicked them out of Taiwan.

Qing was a lot slower and more afraid to institute any changes because a stronger army could potentially dethrone them.

There's actual precedence for this. At the end of the day, an Emperor would rather give up half the Empire and keep the other half than potentially be usurped by a powerful General. See for example how the Song dynasty executed its top Generals for winning too much.

consequences which aren't necessarily attached to her. plus, a major revisionist work on her came out in china a few years ago, so your point is invalid on that score too

>All solid HAN officials, those with both power and vision, supported her. The revolutionary alternative to her and her cabinet were jokes.
>who is the guangxi emperor
>what are the hundred day reforms
>who are lian qichao and kang youwei
nope.jpg

Where was Aang when the world needed him most?

guangxu*

>t. Sojunghwa

extravagant and extremely stubborn
she was shit.

The Ming and Admiral Yi Sun-Sin are what saved Korea from being annihilated and relegated to the history books. They're alright in my book.

Almost all of the horrifying/awful things Cixi supposedly did come from hostile Western sources who had every reason to portray her as a backwards barbarian that needed to be removed.

Hey fellow Korean
I fucking hate Manchus because they occupy our former Balhae territories in Jilin and present day Russia.

>mfw Zeng Guofan literally could've dethroned her and made himself emperor with most of the population cheering him on but didn't because he's a massive cuck

lol I just read the Wikipedia article for An Lushan. Dude was a comic book villain personified, literally everyone knew he was going to rebel except the emperor and his concubine.

Taiping victory

>Hurrr master Chinamen quickly develop technology on a European level.

The Dutch 'owned' Taiwan as in they literally had one single fort on the island populated by a tiny regiment of Dutch soldiers. The Chinese just came with a massive invasion force and kicked them out of that single fortress

>that furry behind the assassin

Had a good laugh user, thanks.

They had more than one fortress, but a few days before Koxinga's invasion a storm destroyed the second fortress guarding the bay. And IIRC, a third, very small fortress was pretty much abandoned right away.