Asterix and Obelix

How historically accurate was it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KXg5-UOa52c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

About as much as any other movie on French resistance.

It's basically a documentary.

everything depicted in the comics actually happened

Toute la Gaule est occupée par les Romains... Toute? Non! Car un village peuplé d'irréductibles Gaulois résiste encore et toujours à l'envahisseur!

It's actually more historically accurate than Caesar's writings on Gaul.

I don't think there's a single more historically accurate source than those comics in the entire world.

100%

Underrated

Wut?

Whole Gallia is occupied by Romans... Whole? No! This one invincible Gallic village will always resist the invaders!

P.S. I don't even know French

Qu'est-ce que tu as pu dire à propos de moi, petite chienne? Je vous ferai savoir que je suis diplômé de ma classe dans Navy Seals, et j'ai participé à de nombreux raid secrets sur Al-Quaeda, et j'ai plus de 300 tueries confirmées. Je suis formé à la guerre des gorilles et je suis le plus grand tireur d'élite dans toutes les forces armées américaines. Vous n'êtes rien pour moi, mais simplement une autre cible. Je vais vous essuyer avec une précision dont on n'a jamais vu jusqu'alors sur cette Terre, marque mes putains de mots. Vous pensez que vous pouvez vous arrêter de me dire cette merde sur Internet? Pensez encore, baiser. Au fur et à mesure que nous parlons, je contacte mon réseau secret d'espions à travers les États-Unis et que votre IP se déroule maintenant afin de mieux vous préparer à la tempête, la mouche. L'orage qui efface la petite chose pathétique que vous appelez votre vie. Vous êtes putain, mon enfant. Je peux être n'importe où, n'importe quand, et je peux te tuer de plus de sept cents manières, et c'est juste de mes mains nues. Non seulement je suis formé à des combats non armés, mais j'ai accès à l'arsenal entier du Corps de marine des États-Unis et je l'utiliserai dans toute sa mesure pour effacer votre âme misérable sur le continent, merci. Si seulement vous pouviez savoir quelle récompense impie, votre petit commentaire "intelligent" était sur le point de vous faire tomber, peut-être que vous auriez retenu votre putain de langue. Mais vous ne pouviez pas, vous ne l'avez pas fait, et maintenant vous payez le prix, vous êtes un idiot. Je vais vous fureur sur vous et vous allez vous noyer. Vous êtes putain mort, kiddo.

ITT: Veeky Forums at it finest, you're all fucking frenchboo.
Fast post french stuff!

So why do the french we wuz as gauls instead od franks and romans?

They also wuz, everyone who come in france end as french. THey steal everything, form chopin to curry.

You must be very proud

You bet

It was a very nice satire of postwar France.
>historically accurate
Oh wait, you actually thought it was about gauls and romans? Top fucking kek.

>nice satire of postwar France.
Please explain. I haven't actually heard this before.

I thought it was just about two Gallic dudes going on adventures.

There's a pretty common interpretation of Asterix's village being a metaphor of a France trying to resist globalization and the influence of american culture and political hegemony on the world stage.
Plus the gauls are meant as a representation of modern frenchmen as they're commonly caricatured by themselves: contentious, quick-tempered, mostly not that smart, and bogged down fighting over petty issues.
And all this without mentioning that basically Asterix's humour comes from stereotypes of modern french regions and european nations. I mean just read Asterix and the banquet, or Asterix and the Normans.

It's perhaps a bit hard to spot if you're not french. A lot of the jokes are lost in translation, and more is lost if you're not familiar with french regional culture.

Interesting. I haven't payed much attention to it an tough it was more whimsical.

Asterix is 100% a satire on modern world, just using the Roman era as a backdrop. The "Britons" in the comics literally drink tea and play rugby for fuck's sake.

If you go through the effort to translate that into french, why not change Navy Seals/United States to GIGN(or whatever)/France

I really love that the only thing to almost really kill Asterix and Obelix was bureaucracy. I.e in the episode where they go to Rome and have to get some permit from the central office and spend like 3 days wandering the building from office to office

because he literally just Ctrl-C-Ctrl-V-ed it into google translate

12 tasks of asterix? holy shit you're giving me a nostalgia attack. I remember the island full of bitches and the Egyptian mystic that convinced himself he was a wild boar.

Isn't Asterix a breton? His village is in modern Brittany

There even was a comic about Asterix in Belgium, with jokes about belgians (belgae) having funny accents

Technically Asterix isan armorican gaul.
Modern Brittany got its name from the 3rd to 7th century briton migrations to Armorica.

True. I even have a shorter episode that explicitly makes fun of the French language purism (Panoramix starts correcting Asterix every time he uses a latinate word).

This, and the examples are countless. Also, lots of albums are related to events that took place the year of their release.

Asterix and the Banquet 1965 (Le Tour de Gaule d'Asterix) came out during the cycling competition Tour de France

Asterix and the Big Fight was released shortly after the 1965 French presidentials elections. They even mention how the chiefs are allowed to throw baled hay (balot) at the other's face if they have the same percentage of votes. In french a situation like this is called "ballotage".

Asterix to the Olympic games came out during the 1968 Mexico OG.

At some point in Asterix in Spain (1969), Asterix and Obelix complain about the state of the roads in Spain, which was undergoing major renovation on its highways systems, and the inn they sleep in is packed with Goth tourists. There is even a page where they queue at the border with some gauls with weird "huts on wheels".

Obelix and Co. (1976) tackles capitalism, and the funny thing is that the Roman bad guy (Caius Saugrenus) who instills greed and capitalism in the village looks A LOT like young Jacques Chirac, then prime minister and future president. In this album Saugrenus graduated in a school named NEA. In France lots of politicians graduate in ENA (national school of administration).

The village cut in two by a ditch in Asterix and the Great Divide (1980) is an obvious wink to Berlin and the Iron curtain.

Asterix and the Secret Weapon (1991) is the authors' answer to accusations of sexism and parodies feminism, gender equality and questions the place of women in society. One of the MC is a woman and this album differs a lot from the previous ones as there are way more speeches and interactions by female characters.

I was a huge Asterix reader as a kid and i can tell you loads of subtleties were lost in translations. Tell me if you want more.

>pic related: Guilus, a caricature for TV show animator "Guy Lux", who does the same thing in Asterix but in the Coliseum

>Tell me if you want more.
Yes, more plz.

Very.

how did Goscinny and Uderzo get away with this

That's from 1981. France was never very philosemitic.
I mean just look at this recurring character. This shit flied easily in the 50s through 80s.

Now I begin to understand why Asterix never got popular in America, lmao.

Not Americans are not obessed with Holocaust and so on.

And Goscinny was of Jewish descent.

Alright: Asterix et le Domaine des Dieux (The Mansions of the Gods) came out in 1971 and displays Caesar's plan to turn the village into a slum under urbanization by calling a genius architect to build insulaes around them.
This came in the midst of reconstruction and new urban planning in France. Also the part where they interact with the slaves building reminds me of the troubles with construction workers in the 60-70s.

In Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield (1967), they visit a region of France where they all sell wine and coal, like the immigrants from this region (Auvergne) in Paris who all opened wine shops or sold coal.

Asterix's Odyssey (1981): They visit Tyr, Byblos, Jerusalem, Bethléem, Arad and occasionnaly place one Veeky Forums joke or two. My fav is when Obelix asks a jew if they have any kind of boar in the region, and when answered that they only eat kosher (cachère, sounds like "pas cher" which means cheap). meat, Obelix answers "only cheap meat ? Aren't you guys a bit too cautious with your money ? They do all this for some oil (an ingredient for Panoramix's magic potion).
In the desert our friends get encounter (understand "get fired arrows at") by:
>Sumerians who mistake them for Akkadians
>Akkadians who mistake them for Hittites
>Hitties who mistake them them Assyrians
>Assyrians who mistake them for Medes
>The Medes who don't attack them but are lost and are trying to find their way out of the desert
>Asterix: "Really easy, just follow the arrows"
Also in this album the character zerozerosix is a roman secret agent who uses Bond-like gadgets, like a papyrus that self-destroys after you read it.

Alright that's all for now because i have a friend over for the afternoon so if this thread's alive and people are into i might provide some more Asterix facts

This movie is a great one. It's madness upon madness, the guys were on crack. i love it.

fpbp

Lmao i think i've seen this VHS dozens of times as a kid
That part when the sprinter turns into a rocket made me believe that if you went fast enough your body eventually assumed a more aerodynamic silhouette

Anyome for some singularis porcus?

Mang, it looks so fucking good.

plebean as fuck

Apparently Roman bureaucracy wasn't that much different.

>zerozerosix
Don't forget he looks exactly like Sean Connery as well

"You know where you can stuff the brassicas"
- Gaius Julius Caesar

It's filled with ethnic stereotypes. A few decades ago even the jews weren't immune to getting made fun of

>Goths are portrayed as militaristic and disciplined as well as fighting each other most of the time
>Luisitanians are portrayed as nice and respectful people because the creator felt that all Portuguese people he has met are nice
>The entire conflict fought by Assyrians,Babylonians etc in "Asterix and the Black Gold" is an analogy on the conflicts in the Middle East

>A few decades ago even the jews weren't immune to getting made fun of

they still aren't, but only in places where they have so little presence it isn't as funny, like in Latin America and Asia.

and the internet, but that devolves into antisemitism when it inevitably gets a rise out of someone.

Yeah no shit

>France
>not obessed with Holocaust

Holy fuck how will Schtroumph ever recover?

>french version includes 3 stories
>american version includes 2 stories
Fucking jews.

That shit was popular in USA as well because it's funny and clever.

Eh, I dunno. When I was a kid in Cyprus everyone read these things. Back in the states none of the other kids had even heard of them

Fun fact: Americans started using the word "snicker" as a replacement of British "snigger" because the British word sounded too similar to nigger.

Oh, I meant cartoon Black people. Not Asterix and Obelix. For example America brought us this gem
youtube.com/watch?v=KXg5-UOa52c