What's a reasonable amount of $$$ to have saved by your mid-30's?

What's a reasonable amount of $$$ to have saved by your mid-30's?

>inb4 le "not inbevsting evryting", just answer

Other urls found in this thread:

census.gov/data/tables/2013/demo/wealth/wealth-asset-ownership.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

whatever the median is + 50% of that

I think owning your house, having no outstanding loans and having ~$20k is a decent middle class life.
t. 34 and broke as fuck

250-500k is a reasonable amount

At least 6 figures or you're a failure

This.

Otherwise what were you doing for the entire decade beforehand? Not even saving/investing $10k a year?

id probably say owning a house (where you have been paying off your mortgage for at least 5 years), a respectable car (nothing too expensive) and probably up to 50k, which includes rainy day money, stock / crypto ect

i dont know if thats reasonable, most people on here will larp and say that you should be close to retirement with millions in your bank account

>these replys

1000 dollars will put you over the national average.

>Otherwise what were you doing for the entire decade beforehand? Not even saving/investing $10k a year?
Shouldn't your savings increase over that decade as you work your way through pay raises and promotions?

At least $300,000.

Yes, but assuming you weren't retarded and majored in something useful for college, you can comfortably save $800/month in your IRA/401k by 25. Pay raises + compounding gets you at least to $200k by 35.

>38
>60k in stocks
>85k in retirement funds
>78k in cash
>105k in crypto
>100k in unvested company stock

So assuming you graduate on your 23rd birthday and hit the ground running with a great job where you're immediately saving $800/month (pretty unreasonable but let's go with it), that's a little over $115,000. Figuring a constant, steady increase in salary over those years, to get to $200,000, you'd have to dedicate an additional $100 per month every year ($900/month at 24, $1000/month at 25, etc.). By the time you hit 35, you're putting aside $2000/month towards savings without ever missing a month. In a realistic world, this is reasonable to you?

>78k in cash
what the hell happens if your refrigerator starts a house fire while you're at the gym or some meth head breaks in while you're on vacation

Idk, I'm 26 I think I'll have 50k in magic internet money by december. By 30 I'll probably have a couple Ms

He probably means that it's in the bank not doing anything investment-wise and not actually just laying around his house in huge piles for no reason

I've never understood how every dumbfuck kid on the Internet seems to believe that he's on the magic high-tier yuppie track to $130k a year and millions in the bank come retirement. Seriously, Reddit is no different—it's literally the same crowd of dumbass kids saying the same bullshit. You realize median American household income is 50-60k, right? Do you guys really think that everyone here is above average? Every single fucking person? Where do you think all of those 50k earners are? What about the mediocre losers making 40k and even 30k?

Some of you little tards are in for a rude awakening one day.
>inb4 larping and accusations

I don't know a single person that owns their home or why you would even want to do that given interest rates right now

not to mention wages are going down across the board

I can't blame them, I used to think the same thing

But here I am with a PhD in STEM and pulling in $42k/yr in my career field as a postdoc.

What field user?

how much did you start with

biomed

I'm not surprised or worried by those figures.
It's common practice to keep some money in the market, some in products like CDs, most of the near money in a checking account and then a smaller amount in the savings. Basically any amount of cash that you might need immediately at a given time.
Most people won't make big purchases in cash.

your savings should compound from investing it

>just answer

Enough for 3-6 months emergency funds. Rest should be in investments and retirement funds

30 years old 80k salary

30k 401k
30k ira
6k cash
30k crypto
15k stocks

Stocks are retarded and i just use it to "hedge" crypto

I fully expect to become rich from crypto

>What's a reasonable amount of $$$ to have saved by your mid-30's?

Depends on where you live. Taxes in Europe are so high (50%+), it's almost impossible to save a decent amount of wealth. That being said, you're guaranteed a pension when you retire, so that counts for something.

I'm in the top 0.5% quantile of earners in my country (Western/Central Europe) and I've managed to save €150.000 in 7 years which isn't too bad considering I spend a decent amount on gadgets, vacations, living etc.

Not a single one of my friends has saved more than €50.000. They all have a university degree and have been working for 7-8 years, too.

In terms of investment, Europe is very, very conservative. I'm the only one I know with money in crypto or index funds. Everyone else is just putting it into a bank account with a terrible interest rate.

I don't know but I have a fair amount of bitcoins and even when it seemed wise to sell a few for an Amazon gift card or whatever because the price was stable for months, I always end up losing because the price eventually just keeps rising.

You'd really have to have balls of steel to sell now or be completely retarded. As an old school bitcoinfag $3k is nuts

if you arent in debt you are already winning

>(Western/Central Europe)
talking to my colleagues about crypto feels like talking to my parents about getting an internet connection back when the internet was getting popular...

I'm 20. I'm in a STEM degree at a ((("prestigious"))) uni. Despite extensive bills, I have zero debts.

I have worked up to 90hour work weeks, including full time studying and 2-3 full time jobs.

My net worth is over 40,000$. Of which, 31,000$ is in liquid cash in a high return savings account.

Three years ago my net worth was -3,000$ (due to personal debts). I increased my net worth by 43,000$ on minimum wage, manual labour jobs.

There are literally ZERO excuses for the median American to not have savings. Just keep your expenses below your income.

Next year, I graduate and have a 40,000$/yr job waiting for me. My expenses will not increase, I do not "treat myself", I do not splurge. I will not quit my minimum wage job either, and will be working both upon graduation.

600k in crypto
240k in condo, mortgage 330k
30k cash

i am 31.

>u)

What the fuck fantasy world are you living in?

Boston

this

Also
>Figuring a constant, steady increase in salary

You ought to be jobhopping, comparing and renegotiating salary, taking on side jobs, racking up promotions. Any moron can get a $1200/year COLA "raise".

If you're on Veeky Forums, statistically you're either white with your shit together, Asian, or Jewish.

Which means that median income or wealth figures that include methheads, cholos, and blacks is irrelevant. See the first few rows of this: census.gov/data/tables/2013/demo/wealth/wealth-asset-ownership.html

Is this with or without any debt
I.e car, mortgage, c.f., ect?
If it's with those normal debts included that's shit but it's it's paid off that's still shit, but slightly less so.

Cash refers to money available immediately on hand in a savings/checking account... SPECIFICALLY for the reasons you described lol

If I continue on my current track I'll have 200k of equity/ property and 200k in investable assets. I'd call that reasonable.