Is this film Veeky Forums approved? Looking for some civil war films that really capture the essence of the times

Is this film Veeky Forums approved? Looking for some civil war films that really capture the essence of the times.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fz3sZiVAO0k
youtube.com/watch?v=k7wIDslzGQU
youtube.com/watch?v=rlJFd162Z7s
mcwra.org
missouricivilwar.net
midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/history_heritage/frontier_history/civil_war_battle_renactments_missouri.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes

t. had an ancestor who served in that very unit.

Did he now? What campaigns did her serve in?

I enjoyed Gods and Generals desu. Not sure how accurate it was but it had a lot of good battle scenes.

He was a 12-13 year who ran away from his home in Mississippi and joined Quantrill's Raider at some point in 1863/64. May have taken part in the raid on Lawrence. Fled to Oklahoma (then Indian territory) after the war because he was an outlaw and lived the rest of his life there. Never took the oath of loyalty to the Union.

Here's a picture of him and his family from the 1920s (lucky fucker lived to be 85).

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Who the fuck dual wields revolvers

Cold Mountain was good
Really captures the desolation of the South

That young and they let him serve? Did he have a specific role in the unit?

Was a popular technique with Confederate cavalry and Partisan Rangers where the emphasis was on laying down as much fire as possible.

Bushwhackers were not part of the regular Confederate Army, but a militia that operated under government sanction, so the normal age restrictions didn't apply to them. Most of Quantrill's Raiders were under 18.

I don't know what role he had unfortunately, it seems he was quite hesitant to talk about his life during the war. I'm gonna guess he was just a lowly private.

Cold Mountain was shit other than one or two scenes.

What exactly did the bushwhackers do? I hear Jesse James was one of them, so did they do guerilla warfare such as crop burning?

Bushwhackers were nominally pro-Confederate militias (I say nominally because they rarely actually heeded the orders of Richmond) who operated in frontier rural areas where government authority was weak. Their most common tactic was to raid pro-Union farms and small towns (burning the crops and buildings as well as killing military age males) as well as isolated detachments of U.S. soldiers to wear their enemy down through attrition. Of all the types of soldiers the Confederacy fielded, these were arguably the most successful in terms of keeping Union areas contested (and thus forcing them to divert resources to keep railways and roads secure). The last Bushwhackers were not suppressed until 1867, two years after the war's end (former Union general Joseph Bailey is believed to have been killed by a band of Bushwhackers).

The Union equivalent to the Bushwhackers were the Jayhawkers who performed similar actions (albeit somewhat better controlled by the U.S. Government). Both actually have their origin in the Antebellum-era in the form of the militant proslavery Border Ruffians and Free-Staters who fought for control of Kansas.

>Border Ruffians

That sounds familiar.

Glory is a really good one. It does a great job of showing how complex race relations were in the union, and the battle scenes are pretty fucking brutal.
youtube.com/watch?v=Fz3sZiVAO0k

Have there been any movies made about naval action during the civil war?

gods and generals was an extremely disappointing adaptation of a great book, the book is way more balanced than that Stonewall Jackson felating mess

Classic

youtube.com/watch?v=k7wIDslzGQU

The first few minutes of Sahara has a good naval battle between the mostly-ficticious CSS Texas and Union shore batteries, the rest of the movie is shit though.

youtube.com/watch?v=rlJFd162Z7s

Stephen Lang is still the best Stonewall Jackson in terms of portraying his likeness (physique, accent, face, etc.), although the directors definitely played down Jackson's social awkwardness.

What were the personal tensions that the common soldier would feel towards the other side that would make them eager or willing to go to war for?

Did southern soldiers consider northerners to be panseys while the northerners thought them simple brutes?

Gettysburg is fucking awesome. One of my favorite movies. One film I would stay far away from is field of lost shoes. Its pure confederate propaganda.

>Union troops holding a fence
>Teenage CSA trainees conscripted from the officer's school charge them
>Union soldier looks at another
>"Damn! Those are just kids!"
>"I know shoot them"

>the best Stonewall likeness is a literal kike
Really makes you think

>"I know shoot them"

Plenty of /k/ommandos in /meg/ threads have echoed the similar sentiments.

"A bullet from a 14-year-old is just as effective as one from a 40-year-old. Often more effective."

>Really makes you think

Well Jackson was an (((Anglo))), also Lang is only half-Jewish (his Jewish father was such a believer in the Protestant work ethic that he refused to leave his children any kind of inheritance because he thought they should make their own way in life), the rest of him is German and Irish.

This. I never understood the "IT'S JUST CHILLUNZ" logic, a kid can kill.

Captcha: FAGET Broad

So they carried on the fighting even after the war, how comes? Did they have a displaced sense of honour and keeping the fight on, or was it just a lucrative trade?

A lot of them didn't have homes to go back to or had prices on their heads (Bushwhackers were generally ineligible for parole and were in some cases executed if they surrendered to Union forces). Plus, Bushwhacking already tended to appeal to the "criminally inclined" so naturally many went on to become outlaws or muscle for groups that violently opposed Reconstruction.

Interesting. Are there any group that provide reenactments of their exploits?

Most of them would be in Missouri and they're not nearly as common as reenactments in the East because most of the battlefields like Lawrence, Kansas were not preserved and the controversy surrounding the actions of the Jayhawker and Bushwhackers (both fought with a brutality even the seasoned soldiers in the East found shocking). At least Confederate cavalry unit in California used to go by the name "Quantrill's Raiders" and even used the flag, but I haven't seen them in a couple of years.

mcwra.org

missouricivilwar.net

midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/history_heritage/frontier_history/civil_war_battle_renactments_missouri.html