Were there any real naval battles before cannons were invented...

Were there any real naval battles before cannons were invented? Must have been pretty gay trying to throw sticks at each other's boats

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DvA7IrNxM8o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>throw sticks
dude you needed to ram the other ship and board it

First punic war was basically decided on the waves.

>Ramming enemy ships with the full force of hundreds of sweaty, muscular, almost naked men manning oars who get whipped if they don't row hard enough

>Gay

You might have a point.

>let's break both our boats and sink together

Why is warfare so sexual?
>to ram
>throw sticks
Next your going to tell me people penetrated each others bodies in battle.

>Battle of Cape Ecnomus

Around 300,000 personnel involved, making it a contender for one of the largest naval battles in history.

It was fought in 256 BC

now that you mention it, there was definitely something phallic about those ships

When I imagine warfare I can get a pretty linear and unbroken progression for armies and airforces but with navies I don't understand what comes between like triemes esqu ships and ramming, and early cannons. Did ships just ram eachother until gunpowder?

I've wondered this too. What role did things like catapults, ballistae, etc. play in naval warfare?

Ramming, archery, sometimes a siege engine. Byzantines were able to btfo everyone else at naval warfare because of Greek fire.

Navies back then were mostly focused on transporting troops, though.

Boarders supported by archers was the main way of eliminating enemies.

Yeah,for the most part it was just ram the other guy at the right angle,and if it didnt sink(board them and for the most part just kill them).

The romans sort of developed a mechanism to board enemy ships during the First Punic War called a Corvus.Basically it was just a bridge with a massive spike or two on the end, the entire bridge was attached to a system of pulleys which they would let go of whenever it was positioned over the enemy ship.The romans mainly did this because their strength was in their superior soldiers and frankly they were horrendous as sailors

Downside to this was that the damn things caused the boats to be unstable in the water,and combined with the rimans interior sailing skills caused many of their fleets to sink when the sea turned rough.

*Roman's inferior

As a former rower I can confirm that Rowing/Crew is the closest any physical activity can be to being gay without being gay.

AFAIK in medieval warfare and so on it was mostly a progression of the ancient technology, mostly boarders and archers, sometimes with light ballista or catapult. Ramming became less prevalent since ships started using only sails for propulsion (which couldn't be relied on to provide ramming speed in a given direction on short notice, the plus side being that you could get decent traveling speed for less manpower than with oars), but boarding was still common, and one of the main innovations seems to be ships with high bows and sterns as a defensible position for marines and archers.

Those eyes.. they sorta turn me on.
It's like the ship is anthropomorphic, female, and is scared.
I wanna fuck that boat.

It has a dick shaped ram under the waterline user. Your waifu is a trap.

Maybe she's scared because her face is a dick

the bow is strengthened so it doesn't break, and if the other boat is sinking you have your oarsmen reverse immediately

also during the punic wars Rome invented bridging devices for boarding so you didn't need to ram to board

Battle of Salamis.

Otherwise known as the battle where an evil Turkroach pirate queen betrayed and killed a bunch of Persian admirals because she was butthurt about Xerxes listening to them over her, leading to the Persians losing the battle and the war against Greece in general.

youtube.com/watch?v=DvA7IrNxM8o
this is a bit inaccurate in that the Romans never used galley slaves, and it depicts a battle that never actually happened but aside from that its a pretty cool depiction of naval warfare from antiquity.

>turk
Are you fucking serious? That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board. The turks didn't arrive in Anatolia until 1500 years after the battle of Salamis. Artemisia of Caria was Greek, like all of western anatolia.

>Navy
>Gay
Color me surprised

t.reza

They didn't have bows retard
And what the fuck do they make arrows out of, shipdeck wood?

Every boat has a bow, it's literally the front of the boat.

Age of empires had demolition ships were those a real thing?

some times, but they were usually a desperation tactic and not a standard arm

what

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAA!!