Catharism

>The world is evil

>We must stop breeding and kill ourselves in order to be free and prevent the entrapping of more souls.

Honestly what is the appeal of such a religion? I never understood how it gathered all that many followers to begin with...

Other urls found in this thread:

cathar.info/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because the world is objectively evil and values evil.

Think about it, we only exist because we were able to drive something else to extinction first. Could a Loving God really make the world one big Gladiator match? The only way to win the game, is to not play at all.

Face it, the Cathars were right. Also, bathing sucks

1. CATHARISM WAS NOT A RELIGION, BUT A CHRISTIAN MOVEMENT.

2. CATHARISM DID NOT ADVOCATE SUICIDE.

3. CATHARISM APPEALS TO NOBLE PERSONS LACKING IN HEROIC IMPULSE.

IF YOU ARE IGNOBLE, OBVIOUSLY, YOU WOULD REGARD THE WORLD, AND LIFE IN IT, AS INHERENTLY "GOOD"; IGNOBLE PERSONS LIKE YOURSELF ARE INCAPABLE OF COMPREHENDING SUCH IDEOLOGY, SO WHY EXPLAIN IT TO YOU?

Cathars still married and had children. Only the "Perfecti" abstained from marriage.

Those soldiers looks so sad.

Chill mang just asked a question, no need to sperg like a little autist.

It was ahead of its time

>tfw your general won't let you rape all the naked cathar cuties

This. The only people who are repulsed by the concept of a universe of hierarchy and competition are losers.

Earth is really just a big gladiator match of survival.

Somewhere someone is watching and having a giggle

Did you even read the posts that you quoted, idiot?

>Cathars thought human spirits were the genderless spirits of angels trapped within the physical creation of the evil god, cursed to be reincarnated until the Cathar faithful achieved salvation through a ritual called the consolamentum.

They deserved it to be honest.

Why is that?

They are wretched heretics who deny that God's creation is good. Not that the Papists are much better in that regard, but the scriptures warn against false prophets who deny the bonds of marriage and encourage vegetarianism and other bizarre doctrines.

>Not that the Papists are much better

Why do you protestant fundamentalists always ruin those threads? I'm not even catholic but glory hole 9/10 times its always a protestant being a gigantic anal clot.

I wish the cathars had suceeded instead of you guys.

> consolamentum
wew
were the cathars anti-trinitarian btw?

IIRC they were dualists, influenced by Bogomilism, Gnosticism and Manichaeism they believed there was an evil god of the physical world/flesh and a good god of the spirit and we were all angels created by the latter and trapped by the former.

so could they really have said be christian?

worldviews are not supposed to be convenient. My only question is how an Abrahamic of any sort can willingly reproduce.

they timaeused when they should have bibled

They believed in christ and that he was a saviour, yes, they just disagreed that he was ever made flesh to them he was always light IIRC

So in a way yes, though you can clearly see why more hardcore sects of christianity would've seen them as heretics.

Bump for interesting topic

Am almost an iliterate on the subject, can OP or someone enlighten about the subject?

would really want to know more.

The evil god was satan, to cathars the world was created by satan and the spirit by god.

They essentially believe the god of the old testament is satan and the one in the new is the good god.

They weren't wrong.

how will the world react when those texts confirming gnostics were more in line with jesus actual beliefs come to light?

I feel like you occasionally have quality posts, but its undermined by typing in caps.

Thing is, they were absolutely right.

because god wants them to reproduce i guess

This is a legit source.
cathar.info/

Really, it's a ridiculous and wonderful concept. How did this tiny sect end up in France? What in the actual fuck was up with that?

random proto-heterodoxy funtimes are the best heresies.

It's cruise control for cool.

Also he probably has english as a 4th language. Chill.

butt sex

>Honestly what is the appeal of such a religion?
Pretty much one of the most fundamental questions humans have which never really gets a terribly satisfying answer is, "why do we suffer and why is the world so shitty?" Dualism appeals to people's "us/them, good/bad, spirit/matter" mentality, and few religions did dualism like the Cathars. It also appealed to general anticlericalist sentiment that was prominent in the high middle ages.

The doctrine that creation is of satanic (or "bad god") provenance is just as problematic for Catholics as it is for Protestants. It's not a "protestant fundamentalist" thing: the notion that Genesis 1:31 is a lie is fundamentally anti-Christian.

>I was born a noble I'm so much better than those dirty peasants

>Genesis 1:31 is a lie is fundamentally anti-Christian.

True, it just happens that truth is anti-christian.

CATHAR FUCKING SHITS

Life is not inherently good but you must play the game anyway in resignation. Better to eat than be eaten.

>God's creation is good
Yes, because pic related is such a fair thing. Children starving to death, people suffering in ways you can't even imagine, birth defects, random disasters, plagues, famines, violence. The "beautiful things" are just other creatures trying to reproduce their genetic code and kill before being killed. Nature is brutal and not fair in the slightest. The world is shite, painful, cruel and an absolute horrid place that makes you suffer constantly.
Unlike complete monotheism dualism actually makes sense of this obvious discrepancy in your doctrine of a perfect absolute loving creator and a cruel painful creation.

>2. CATHARISM DID NOT ADVOCATE SUICIDE.
Yes, it did. It was acceptable amongs the perfectii, at the least.

The material plane of existence was a catastrophe, according to the cathars. As all things strive towards the divine, this meant that matter would naturally lead to life, and life would be suffering as it was trapped.

Martin Luther thought, similarly, that the world was a heap of dung.

He tells the only two men capable of populating the world to do just that and then they put that forward as an argument. Yet they also say they don't have to worry about dietary considerations or circumcision because Jesus has already fulfilled the dictates of the old testament for them. But meanwhile if you read the apostles,, they speak of marriage as merely an outlet for lust and say those who are able to be celibate ought to be.

World is always shit, it's more about making it better for yourself at the expense of others in the end and religion is an enormous tool.
Wasn't it more refinement of Papal protocols and just another faction like any other? More successful than some but not good enough in the end. It gave females too much power I think, the Papacy is part military machine meddling in feudal wars for 1000 years now. Protestantism was successful for example because it worked best in the new world so far from master and all, best to install God right into your head.

DELETE THIS!

FUCKING RETARDS DELETE THIS!