Historic Conspiracy Theories

Do you know any interesting conspiracy theories connected to historical events? The more plausible the better but it's always nice to see some ridiculous stuff as well.

>American War of Independence was a proxy war
The idea that the British deliberately treated the Thirteen Colonies badly, only to make France support the revolting settlers and indebt themselves close to a collapse doesn't sound that unreasonable the more you think about it. If that really had been the case, the results were probably even better than what the Eternal Anglo would've expected.

>The Gunpowder Plot was made up
Of what I gather, there's little to no evidence that Guy Fawkes actually planned on blowing up the House of Lords. Making up of such assassination attempt also came in handy to the king, justifying further persecution of Catholics in the realm.

>The Phantom Time
This one is pretty incredible, but very interesting nontheless - basically, it implies that the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III, the Pope Sylvester II and the Eastern Roman Emperor Constantine VII fabricated almost 300 years of history(including Charlemagne), so that their rule would reach the year 1000 AD. The theory has pretty much no support and has been refuted by various evidence, but to imagine that some people could be powerful enough to just make up a good part of human history is both disturbing and intriguing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DXcge5YUPLo
ilya.it/chrono/pages/pompejigallerydt.htm
ilya.it/chrono/pages/pompejidt.htm
youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=koKNBC-t51c#t=0
youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_sc5PfjuCqQ
sacred-texts.com/atl/ataw/index.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Apart from Guy and the surviving conspirators confessing.

There's many views regarding Chronological revisionism (New Chronology, Récentisme...) You have
>moderate like Uwe Topper, Heribert Illig (Ealy Middle Ages 600-900 never existed)
>radical like Anatoly Fomenko and Gleb Nosovsky (Human history is some 1100 year old, pre-1600 history is faked)
>bizarre (Christoph Pfister, human history is 400 year old)

youtube.com/watch?v=DXcge5YUPLo

Somewhat related to this is the idea that Pompeii wasn't actually an "Ancient" Roman city, but an Italian one that was destroyed in the 17th century.
There's many supposed anachronisms about the artifacts discovered there, tools that seem too advanced, stained glass, Renaissance-style paintings...and an inscription that states that Pompeii was destroyed in the 1600s

ilya.it/chrono/pages/pompejigallerydt.htm
ilya.it/chrono/pages/pompejidt.htm
youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=koKNBC-t51c#t=0
youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_sc5PfjuCqQ

Maybe it's all easily refuted by those more competent in the field of history, but it's interesting.

Stuff like this is just fun to think about even if you don't believe it's true.

The Maya disappeared during the collapse. Like they were just beamed away.

Atlantis was real and the atlanteans colonised half the word brining civilization and technology to savages. It's all explained in Ignatius Donnelly's book "Atlantis: the antideluvian world".
sacred-texts.com/atl/ataw/index.htm

I just remembered that there is a theory that Pavel I, Catherine the Great's son and the emperor of Russia, was a bastard of Stanisław Poniatowski - the last king of Poland. Although the guy was undoudebtly a total gull, it is confirmed that he had a romance with the tsaritsa. Was this theory true, that would mean that all the successors of Peter III were descendants of the worst king in history of Poland.

Also the theory that Catherine and Grigory Potemkin were secretly married.

Wasn't he severely tortured before confessing?

I love this book. The Atlantis/Lemuria/Mu mythology is just so imaginative.

Confessions mean nothing when you're tortured until you confess lad.

>Almost all of the US XIX Century wars were initiated by a false flag attack organized by the US

I think the US-Spanish one is a clear example of that

The theory that the earliest ancient cities are not the birth of civilization but the rebirth of it. You could take a human from 100,000 years ago and once it adapted to modern life it would fit right in. The idea that we were able to form civilizations long ago isn't totally crazy when you think about it. Its likely that there are even older civilizations we don't know about and will likely never be able to find.

>Sea levels
Early cities were either port or river cities. If someone built a huge city 50,000 years ago near the coast it would currently be under hundreds of feet of water.

>Cataclysmic events
Asteroid impacts, ice ages and volcanic eruptions could explain why we don't find hard evidence.

It's pretty interesting stuff. It makes sense that our race is much older than we make it out to be. Its something we'll likely never be able to definitely prove.

>dumb shit people make up
>interesting
kys

NO FUN ALLOWED

Spanish-American War is the only one it works for.
The casus belli for both the Mexican-American War and the War of 1812 were both so shitty, you'd have to be a complete moron to try to false flag with something that lame.
And as for the Civil War, why the hell would you pick a war with yourself?

Sounds like retard-talk. Considering they're all still there.

The US hasn't even needed falseflags to go to war after WW2. They literally just either make bullshit up and present no proof or pick on anything even remotely bad that their target has done and blow it out of proportions.

This is a very popular theory.

I like it but I know you'd be called a nutjob in any serious field if you proposed such a thing desu. Not even ancient aliens-tier stuff, just the idea that we started to built cities almost immediately and they got mostly fucked by some cataclysm they couldn't deal with back then.

Well. One that has a lot going for it is that Caesar made up the Galic revolts that initially "forced" him to occupy Gaul. And that he provoked the tribes to rebel on porpuse.

Would make sense since the Romans didn't liked going to war without a casus belis.

There is a theory that Wladyslaw III, king of Poland and Hungary survived 1444 battle of Varna with Ottomans, despite what historians say.
But the craziest part of this theory is that after he escaped his defeat, he felt do humiliated he abandoned his identity and moved to Italy, where he had Christopher Columbus as his son

Still, I think it is more a wewuzzing from some Polish historians.

Anybody has details of the theory of Templar colony in America?
I remember reading book about it. Quite interesting but I forgot how it specifically could have happened

I was in London a year ago when I went to an excursion about Jack the Ripper.
it was quite interesting, and the guide made some interesting points. i can't remember the full details and have never looked at the sources (he didnt provide any) but he did have photographs of the murders.
The theory is as follows
>one of the lady victims was the housekeeper for a certain prince
>the prince had a child outside of wedlock with an IRISH CATHOLIC
>some shady shit happened with a black coach and lots of hurrying and keeping things quiet.
>this lady had seen some of the stuff happening and told some of her friends.
>Each one of these friends were the victims
>Jack the Ripper was actually the royal physician.
>guy who was hired to keep shit quiet
>made the murders look so damn savage that nobody would dare go to deep into them
>along with a lot of hysteria, this took care of itself as people started freaking out and blaming random people.
>his family is still enjoying the sheer wealth rewarded to the physician.

It's probably a load of bull but the way he told it made me love it, and all the points he made were quite plausible. He told about interviewing a living relative of this physician who had informed him of this secret pile of riches that the family had, but i can't remember the name for the life of me.

Why do people like this guy again ?

That sounds very retarded desu

Pretty much anything with Jack the Ripper flies, since nobody has a solid theory.

He confessed the plot before torture. They only tortured him to get more information about the other conspirators.

it's already become quite accepted that semi-nomadic humans created rather large settlements long before the first known civ.

This doesn't make any sense, Columbus would have to be 6 years old when he sailed for the new world

That started to get documented with the Gulf of Tonkin incident that apparently never happened and is hardly theory anymore considering history since. I think a certain segment of the population is starting to accept it as business of last resort when strong arming doesn't work. If you don't like that you need not pay attention, it's an amazing system!