European swords

I'm considering buying a historically accurate, battle ready European sword. Preferably heavier, two handed, and with a threaded pommel if possible. Any ideas on which sword to decide on?

Get the Tetsaiga. It's a classic cosplay sword

>sword
Not really interested in cosplay as much as I am into hanging it on my wall.

I'm more into European style swords. Especially ones from the first crusade.

Why would you want a shitty european sword, just get a katana senpai

Are all user's like this lol?
I already own a katana. It was a horrible investment.

You would want a type X or XI oakshott sword. Those are Norman and first crusade period swords. Albion makes the best accurate swords.

>Preferably heavier, two handed, and with a threaded pommel if possible.
thats not possible, because
>historically accurate

Lets be honest, you don't know much about swords and just want to cut milk jugs in your backyard and preferably it shouldn't cost over $400, right?
Thats ok, I support all sword fetishes. But you might state what you really want and your price limit.

>You would want a type X or XI oakshott sword.
No, thaats what you want, OP said he wants a two hander. also Albion is nice, but certainly not the best there is.

>Threaded Pommel
No, get it peened you urchin, wtf

>battle ready
Get the fuck off KoA

>Katanas
>Short
>Heavy
>Historically, made from inferior steel
>Not curved enough to be an excellent cutter
>Not straight enough to be an excellent thruster

Just get a longsword

You should check out HEMA too

B8? Is that ye?

What's your price range?

Any style/region/century in mind?

The Hanwei Tinker series sounds exactly like what you're describing.

We already went over this in the other hema thread. pretty much all that is wrong.

Around a 600$ USD budget. I wanted the pommel threaded so I could use my grandfather's pommel from his sword. Simply so I could place it on my wall.

i got this on my wall along with a rapier, i dont like claymores and such robust stuff

16th century spanish replica(id assume, i inherited it) sword, about 50 dollars worth nowadays

TINKER PEARCE LONGSWORD

Bastard sword.

cut a faggot's head off

Don't listen to this, they are under powered in D20

the fuck are you on about, they have the same damage as a bastard sword (what the fuck were they thinking) with added exotic bonuses

>I'm considering buying a historically accurate, battle ready European sword. Preferably heavier, two handed, and with a threaded pommel if possible.
>historically accurate
>two handed

lol

>bastard sword
That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

Check this out weeb, just because you wish facts werent true, doesnt make them any less factual

Oh my god, did I just read this shit on a history board?

Cutting through plate? Folded a million times?? Cuts better than a longsword???? (well that might be true, but they dont cut better than blade that were ACTUALLY designed for cutting, like SABRES)

I KNOW THIS IS A JOKE, but Im still kinda triggered

>Especially ones from the first crusade.
Two handed won't be do-able then.

Albion seems pretty expensive, where does that price come from? I saw swords online for 150-200 bucks and albion is twice as expensive.

>I saw swords online for 150-200 bucks and albion is twice as expensive

Lol, you must not have been looking at Albion, because I've never seen a sword from them under $800. Their average price is around $2K-$3k, but I've seen them get as high as $10K

They are the Rolex of the sword world. But what does that mean? Yes, they are made well, yes they have a warranty, ect ect, BUT most of the price comes from prestige.
Its a status symbol to own an Albion, and you have to pay for every bit of that.

To be fair though, they dont even forge their own blade -_- They just use sheet metal. For those prices thats kind of ridiculous

ALSO,
you should expect to pay more that $100-$200 for a well made sword. Expect around $500, if you want one right off the shelf, but even then they wont be anywhere near perfect

This is a very old meme from Veeky Forums. Apparently someone legitimately thought all the above about Katanas and got butthurt that they weren't massively better than western-style swords in an RPG system. They proposed the stats above, which are ludicrously powerful.

>Lol, you must not have been looking at Albion,
I was looking at their squire line.

Albion is good of the shelf quality.
Prices over$1500 are not justified though, for that money you can commission a full custom with a smith.

Question still is what you manchildren need a historical accurate battle ready blablabla sword for?
Get a wallhanger that is cheapest, and you won't use that sword anyways.
Get a cold steel if you feel the urge to cut milk jugs.
Buy an antique if you collect.
Leave the sharp expensive cutter to folks who train HEMA.

Get a xv type arming sword, sexy as fuck

Still a bit spicy after all these years.

katana weight about the same to a little more than a saber. Modern katana are indeed short but that was is not and was not historically always true. The short length was originally a purposeful choice to make the blade easy to wear and deploy compared to the tachi

No historical source describes katana craftsmanship as inferior, early modern European sources say the opposite.

Neither of the other two things you list are bad,

Go for a montate desu, coolest sword for one to one fights.

Wulflund usually has threaded pommels

>show pics of the pommel OP

Why would you want threaded?

Peened is superior.

>katana weight about the same to a little more than a saber
Absolutely not, friendo. Sure, maybe a very heavy, deeply curved cavalry sabre thats not meant to be particularly nimble. To blanket all sabre into one category like that betrays a deep ignorance of European weapons, as varieties of sabre are as various as they come. An
Italian dueling sabre weights less than half of what your inferior katana does

And when I say they are heavy for its length, short for its weight- I am making a comparison between Katana and the longsword. Unfair, maybe. But still, these two blade run at the same weight, yet the katana is many inches shorter. Why would you force yourself to use two hands but be ok with loosing such reach? Thats martially absurd.
It just goes to show how a system can get completely fucked up if stuck within its own metaphorical echo chamber.

>No historical source describes katana craftsmanship as inferior
Yeah, they because those fine gents would get their heads cleaved in by your beloved katana, but this is no miracle. They were being honorable and I can respect that, but still, Pig Iron is Pig Iron. Katana has a soft spine, due to lack of materials. The katana was folded, due to lack of materials.

Like I said weeb, you cant change facts.
No amount of your mental gymnastics will help

> To blanket all sabre into one category like that betrays a deep ignorance of European weapons,

And your post betrays a deep ignorance of Japanese weapons.

Sabers came in a lot of varieties as did Japanese swords, I am of course comparing it to a military saber. the katana essentially being a street wear version of a military sword
yes the long sword comparison is silly because they did not fill the same role. Aside from the fact that many longswords are much heavier than the average katana, the katana is essentially a shorter version of what most samurai used as a side arm in battle. a better comparison would be the tachi. Short uchigatana were only used by footsoliders in the late period who need an uncumbersome weapons they could quickly draw and deploy. But for the most part the shorter swords were convenient civilian wear. in Open combat, on horse back, or in duels many warriors preferred a longer sword.

>ah, they because those fine gents would get their heads cleaved in by your beloved katana,

The katana has a soft spine by design, to bend rather than break. The sources I refer to are European and Chinese. The blades were actually used throughout asia, not just Japan. The steel in the Japanese sword is not that much different than what is found all over the world.