How did the Germanic tribes and peoples come to outperform the Celtic ones? I mean in terms of development...

How did the Germanic tribes and peoples come to outperform the Celtic ones? I mean in terms of development, civilisation, settling of land etc

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstruction:Proto-Germanic/rīks
vroegemiddeleeuwen.weblog.leidenuniv.nl/2013/05/01/in-voce-gallica/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They were used to having the Romans for protection and when they left they couldn't defend themselves against the Picts and Gaels.

The Gallic wars though was Roman vs celtic

he posted with the sutton hoo helmet so I posted what happened in britain.

Oh, I mean in general just using Saxon culture as example

They relied on the same Saxons for protection, and then when the Roman administration collapsed, the Saxons just carved their own kingdoms from the power vacuum. The Saxons had been there for centuries.

Sure in the same way Black Africans were in Roman Britain for centuries.

I think it makes a pretty big difference that there wasn't a single Germanic town there before they started coming by the boatloads.

Celtics were too cucked by their women, both literally and figuratively. Every society that becomes mentally feminized and where woman reaches equal status of a man, will inevitably get conquered.

Why are there basically no celtic cultural/linguistic remnants in england?

Never heard of Stonehenge ?

Not in any way Celtic

Celtic and at least Italic/Germanic and maybe Slavic were still the same thing when it was constructed.

And how did they become different then?

I'm not going to explain the core basics of linguistics and I wouldn't do a very good job at it anyway. All that you need to know is that Stonehenge predates Indo-European languages by many centuries. When the construction began the people speaking the dialect which would lead to Italo-Celtic were living no further west than Hungary.

What's all the fighting about then? We're all one big family

Gauls were sissified by Roman amenities, there was no fighting culture left

Sibling rivalry.

Cornwall

Who would you fight if not your equals? What glory is there to vanquish the weak and stupid?

>where woman reaches equal status of a man, will inevitably get conquered.

Minoans lasted for more than a full millenia before a volcano decided to fuck them up, and from what i hear, women led a very important role on their society if not more important than men.

Your point is moot.

>if not more important than men.
First time I hear that.

>come to outperform the Celtic ones
mmm

Celts were also Germanic in origin

Franks were Germanic.

>Franks are Sicambrians
>Sicambrians were Celtic
>Somehow Franks are Germanic

mmm

>Frankish (reconstructed Frankish: *Frenkisk),[2] Old Franconian or Old Frankish was the West Germanic language spoken by the Franks between the 4th and 8th century.

>The Franks (Latin: Franci or gens Francorum) were a collection of Germanic peoples that originated in the lands between the Lower and Middle Rhine in the 3rd century AD and eventually formed a large empire dominating much of western and central Europe during the Middle Ages.

DEPONE
E
P
O
N
E

COLLA
O
L
L
A

SICAMBER
I
C
A
M
B
E
R

>believing 2000 year old Roman propaganda

the fucking retards on this site, the only Celts alive today are in Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Britanny and something along the north coast in Spain.

The Germans were a matriarchal societies. It is well documented that women make better leaders while men are irrational and violent.

>Sicambrians were Celtic
Nigga wha:"The Sicambri, also known as the Sugambri or Sicambrians, were a Germanic people who during Roman times lived on the right bank of the Rhine river, in what is now Germany, near the border with the Netherlands. They were first reported by Julius Caesar."

>MUH HELMET
>MUH SHAKESPEARE
>MUH TEA
Brits have the weirdest obsessions

Germanics were never matriarchal.

You're making shit up, we know exactly jack and shit about the Minoan civilization considering we cannot even crack their alphabet.

Aengus O'Cuckoldrain

Celts were less of a warrior society, and more culturally inclined to things like art, song, ritual, mysticism and tradition, whereas Germanic societies were more centered around the physical state, the usefulness of a thousand spears, as opposed to the beauty of one master-crafted, bejeweled, golden spear. They were also alot more adventurous than Celts, who had no problem staying perfectly put in the same pleasant enclave their ancestors lived in, and were probably very surprised when Romans came en masse as a brutal machine of state, money and man-power, just like they were probably dumbfounded when Saxons, Jutes, Angles, Frisians and so forth came, and when Danish Vikings came, etc. etc.

The point being, that people generally placed a heavier emphasis on what something does, while the other was more interested in how something is.

I'm speaking specifically about the Celtic peoples of Briton and Ireland, but the point stands for the Gallic or Iberian Celtic peoples as well, in that a society that concerned itself more with art, song, dance, belief, with combat as a ritual, with weaponry as a work of art, with state as a cultural body, was eventually overtaken by those societies that concerned themselves with trade, exploration, politics, pragmatism, the mobilization of men for material purposes, combat as a science, and weaponry as a tool.

This is really dumb. Also why mention King Arthur? he was a Christian Romano-Briton in the legend, and probably never existed at all. Lancelot is completely fictional and made up by Chretian De Troyes for his Romances

In what we know, Germanic women have been far more "open" to foreign invaders than Britons were to Romans, or Irish were to English, etc. etc.

Lol no

Their kings had names like Deudorix and Betorix, and Sicambri itself is a Celtic name.

PIE *eu became *ou in Proto-Celtic

Deudorix sounds like a possible Latin rendering of Proto-Germanic *þeudoriks

Nice try but the suffix "reik" is rendered "ric" in Latin as for þeudoriks it is attested as Theodoric

The Britons spoke a Gallo-Roman language different to the Welsh language which survived on the edges of society.

The Saxons spoke a Germanic language, when they became the rulers of most of Britain, the Britons then started to adopt Germanic words in order to communicate with the rulers.

This exact process occurred again when the Saxons were defeated by the French speaking Normans. Now the Britons started to use French words to speak to their new rulers. The Old English and Middle English are not the same languages.

Middle English is

> Brythonic substrate
> Latin

> Brythonic and Latin substrate
> German

> Brythonic, Latin, and German substrate
> French

Anyone who disagrees is a Protestant Degenerate.

>Nice try but the suffix "reik" is rendered "ric" in Latin as for þeudoriks it is attested as Theodoric
That doesn't mean much considering it's attested 400 years later

>He insist
Rix is purely Celtic

there's a theory that there was always a germanic presence in the extreme south east of england

Nope.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstruction:Proto-Germanic/rīks

The Romans launched theiur invasion from Germania, Germans first came to Britain with the Romans, Jewish history tells you that Germans destroyed the Empire at the end, implying that Germans never existed in the Empire, but this is false, Germans were influential at the inception of the Empire.

>An early borrowing from Proto-Celtic *rīxs, from Proto-Indo-European *h3rḗǵs.

Read your own link

It is written that it is borrowed from Celtic and it distinguish between the genuine "rix" and germanic bastardization "riks"

>borrowed from Celtic

And? Is anyone whose named John a Hebrew? The first part of the name Deud-/Theud is Germanic, meaning people. Deuderix/Theuderiks = ruler of the people.

>genuine "rix" and germanic bastardization "riks"

The name is reported by a Roman chronicler and those forms basically sound the same.

I knew instantly when I saw the thread that someone was going to post that.

>Deuderix/Theuderiks = ruler of the people

Rix is celtic, it would be Deudoriks/Deudoric if it was a Germanic name

And you forgot Beto-rix which mean Eternal/Everlasting King in Gaulish

We know these names from Strabo (not a Roman, but a Greek, my bad). -ix and -iks basically sound the same, so it's not surprising he wrote it down as ξ.

>And you forgot Beto-rix

It's Baitorix though

>which mean Eternal/Everlasting King in Gaulish

Though you have any source for the meaning of that name?

rix mean king in Gaulish

And "beto" is attested as "memento BETO to diuo" "(ALWAYS remember your god) in Life of Saint Symphorien

> "memento BETO to diuo" "(ALWAYS remember your god) in Life of Saint Symphorien

vroegemiddeleeuwen.weblog.leidenuniv.nl/2013/05/01/in-voce-gallica/

You quoted the sentence wrong, and mentobeto is interpreteted as a verb meaning "remember".

i'd say that is probably true for northern gaul but in the south where all those yummy mediterranean ports were, there was still a heavy military culture. weren't the gaulo-roman breakaway kingdoms/duchies of aquitaine and gascon still resisting against frankish intrusion up until the time of otto I's coronation as hre?

Nope i quoted it well

>true for northern gaul

LMAO
We were the last to fall to the Barbarians

You're all subhumans compared to us

>We were the last to fall to the Barbarians
i don't understand who you are referring to. are you saying i am incorrect or are you supporting what i am saying with a personal larp of your own?

What i say is that while you were gagging on Gothic cocks we killed them same goes for the Burgundians, the Alans, the Huns, and so on

If you read the link I posted here , that the original sentence was "Nate, nate, mentobe(to) to deuo", meaning "Son, son, remember your god". What you posted is a later corruption.

Either way, you neither made a case for a translation as "always, eternal" nor for a connection between Baito- and (mento)beto.

It's quite impressive though how you find the most obscure stuff to support your pseudo-arguments.