"The Anglo-Saxon did not say he was going to sea, he was going on 'the whale's way.' Rather than go in a ship...

>"The Anglo-Saxon did not say he was going to sea, he was going on 'the whale's way.' Rather than go in a ship, he went in a 'lone wanderer,' a 'far flyer.' The use of metaphor or kenning was not for the purposes of poetic license but to prevent, if possible, the sea from finding out about the mariner's buisness."

Oy vey. We really lost something in the Anglo-Saxons, man.

It's fun to wonder what England'd look like hadn't it been for Shilliam and his frogs.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pVcdf5_t_eI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i-it would have been comfy haha

>tfw we would have been nordic if it weren't for william and his meddling kids

youtube.com/watch?v=pVcdf5_t_eI

>and his frogs

Wew lad

You've mentioned the ultimate TABOO

they spoke a frog language and did frog things

they were frogs

You should be fucking honored to get conquered by William the Conquerer. He's my personnel hero.

Source right now

Crécy - Warren Ellis

t. Anglo

>just going down to the shore
>brb

>get conquered by nordics
>now no longer nordic

William was more nordic than you celtic mongrels

Normans were literally Danes

No they weren't, they were French who maybe had a great-great Norwegian grandfather.

Also, Rollon was Norwegian :^)

Silly Danes are so good at writing fairy tales

>did frog things

Like bringing Civilization to inbred barbarians you mean ?

I like how he's giving us the English bird

we dont really know where he came from. non-scandinavians back then didn't try to differ between danes and norwegians and culturally they were pretty much the same

but im more of a snorri fanboy so id say norwegian

This same superstition about naming potentially dangerous things is why we have no word for "wolf" or "bear" in English (wolf just means "wild" while bear means "brown", the actual names for these animals is lost but was probably related to the Greek lycos and arkouda)

That's where it came from, my friend.

Flaunting that you still had all your fingers. Not ever captured by the enemy and comparatively fucking deadly at the time the gesture began.

Which Danes speak French, call themselves French, and are black haired ?

Rollo was Norwegian tho

Scuse on that quote?

>tfw the good guys objectively lost at Hastings